Karma Headbanger - WWYD?

DeltaMelter

I can find a lot of love for this strain online but not much on these boards, nor can I find any diaries (let's fix that)

Any Karma Headbanger fanbois out there who have grown these out?

Just snagged a pack and I can't decide if I should smash the whole lot into soil and see what I get or plant a small selection and choose a female to clone for a tent full. Really tempted to do the whole pack but they've been harder to find than rocking horse shit tbh and I don't want to fuck it up!

Really I need 9 ladies for my 4x4 which I'm unlikely to get from a 12-pack so could plant a few companion fems if doing the lot. Otherwise I'll plant a few and then make 9 clones of the best-looking female. That's risky in its own right with an unknown plant.

So my question is really - What's the pheno variation like on the Headbanger? Do they vary much in flower time/ strength / flavour?

Is it worth running the whole pack to look for the best pheno or better to save the beans for another run as there's not much in it. My gut tells me germinate the lot - I have too many seeds and might never run them again - and I'll see the phenos, but I need to chop them together. My head says go for filling a tent with identical clones for better yield and stable flower times.

Anyway any help is appreciated, thanks for reading!

• Like 6

Thank you @Fatboy77 that's something to aim for! They look top-shelf as ever. Did you find they were fussy feeders? I'm guessing as that's a big yielder (and you being no fan of over-feeding) it probably didn't but I've read a lot about it being easy to over-feed her.

The flower tent is full now for at least 8 weeks so I'll hold off for now and germ them when I know I won't run out of space in the 3x3 approx in a month or so. I haven't counted the seeds yet but there should be 12 regs - usually, there are 13 or 14 so fingers crossed for a belter.

4 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

What's the pheno variation like on the Headbanger? Do they vary much in flower time/ strength / flavour?

Most of mine were sour diesel, leaners and took 12 weeks of 12/12 with a couple of biker doms finishing at 9 weeks, enjoyed them all, probably preferred the sour doms, tasted like burnt rubber, the biker phenos were your typical kush taste and smell, but 12 weeks is too long for me and if I was looking for kush i preferred karma's white og or kamarado og so I never kept any, but it's a good strain IMO.

• Like 2

@bill cooper Now that's good to know, I've never grown a Sour D but its what attracted me, knowing there's a 9 and a 12 weeker is the clincher though - I think I'll wait until I can do a staggered harvest, maybe the last one before summer when I'm not planning another run. I dry in my flower tent so need to chop them all at the same time, unless I dry any early finishers in my veg tent so I'll have to think on.

I'm flowering some Lemon Rado (KarmaRado OG MTown Cut x LemonTini) right now and have a pack of OG Tini (Josh D OG x Lemon Tini) so I might run the OG Tini next as its 9-10 weeks and save the headbanger for later. I can just about get the OG Tini in for an xmas new year chop and a nice cool dry while I'm off work.

Thanks man!

• Like 1

@DeltaMelter If you can't use your veg tent for drying, you could use a box connected to your flower tent's passive intact with a piece of ducting, better than chopping them all at the same time.:yep:

• Like 4

@bill cooper Yes I've thought about that as an option too, I grow in 6.5L pots so they aren't crazy big plants.

I have a month to decide - or rather do my own swede in thinking about it non-stop. Too many strains, not enough time.

• Like 1

if they are rare/awesome seeds, as you say, I'd germinate the pack, get the males out if ya dont need those, take back-up cuts of the females, flower said females

then u will be sure of going through whatever pheno's u have in there, & having that back-up should you find a keeper

mystic

• Like 2

I've had too many runs lately with loads of different strains and a right mess of heights, finishes and quality. After losing my DiscoBiscuit mum (my only real keeper) I had a few more disasters, lost seedlings to pests and all sorts. Instead of getting too desperate, I wanted to buy some quality beans and get a really good run in for the end of the year. I was going to use fems to guarantee numbers but I've been hanging my nose over Karma gear for ages and finally bagged some beans. I had a whole pack of Josh D OG that didn't germ so I'm owed one by the canna gods I reckon.

I have 3 runs before next summer and Ideally I want a good mix of strains to get my jars stocked, I also (ideally) want to start longer-term storage at low temps so I can stockpile and not just blaze my whole stash by next harvest. At current leccy prices pheno hunting is a pricey affair. My problem is most strains don't have enough potency for me, I liked the DiscoBiscuit mainly for flavour and the high was relaxing but I need something with a bit more poke.

I really like the sound of the Headbanger yield and high but broad-ranging flower times of 9-12 weeks are a bit too varied so I think I would have to do a clone run or leave it until I can stagger a harvest - or just take them all at 10 weeks and be done with it!. What I really want is that good "winter dry" as this is often my best harvest of the year so if I can take a whole tent down at once with a strong high-yielding cultivar I can really fill my jars.

The OG Tini looks good too but you can never trust breeder flowering times plus its a relatively 'new' strain and I can't find much info on it, pics or diaries. Some seedbanks say its 8-10 weeks and Karma says 9-11 so it looks like some pheno variety is expected there. I bought them as it was the nearest thing to Josh D OG I could find. According to Karma, Headbanger is 10-11 weeks but I'll take that with a pinch of salt after @bill cooper mentioned how varied they really were!

A true wildcard option is to start with a small number of each cultivar, identify a female and clone them to fill out both tents, one with 4x OG Tini and one with 9x Headbanger and then flower both for a bumper new year crop - I can't easily keep clones this way but I would only have 2 anyway and might be able to nurse them along  - could be on for a very happy 2024. I would also get to keep the majority of the seeds instead of sprouting them all and hoping for numbers.

Edited by DeltaMelter

One last question @bill cooper then I promise I'll keep quiet!

Do you think the different phenos are obvious / easy to spot in veg? Different height / leaf structure or smell on a stem rub? Just to give me a head start really on a selection.

I've never smoked Biker Kush so would struggle to pick that out but had a fair bit of Sour D over the years so I could probably tell the Sour leaning one from the other but thought I would ask just in case.

The only thing that springs to mind was that the SD leaners stretched more, but apart from that I can't remember much else to be honest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bill cooper said:

The only thing that springs to mind was that the SD leaners stretched more, but apart from that I can't remember much else to be honest.

Thanks man really appreciate it, either way I'll start a diary when I sprout them.

• Like 1