How often do you water? Can you overwater?

David Attenborough

Do you wait until the pots dry out a little or do you water to replenish/renew nutes? Its hydro right? So does frequent watering cause issues? For instance if the pot still holds a lot of moisture do you hold off on watering? Which brings me to , can you over water in coco? especially if the plant roots hasn't filled the pot yet?

During the early stages I allow pots to dry out a bit to encourage the roots to spread out looking for moisture. 

Same thing when I pot up, 

I might only fertigate every 3 days to begin with,

building up to watering daily :D

It's definitely possible to overwater,

It's probably most common when the roots aren't filling the pot. 

Check out some diaries of coco grows, 

they're full of great bits of info like this :)

I'd recommend that you look at diaries by @Owderb 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 10

6 hours ago, David Attenborough said:

coco?

I fertigate every day, at first, with seedlings &/or clones that have just rooted, I trickle the water in small circles around the plant, gradually getting to the edges of the pot as the plant gets bigger

then, when the plant is established in the pot I use a watering can & fertigate until run-off, watering the whole medium. every day st lights on

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

Hi bud going by our convo last night I wouldn’t let them dry out, your environment is on the dry side, forcing the plants to drink more, your in coco keep it moist bud, letting coco dry out will cause a salt build up and give you all sorts of heart ache, keep it simple, keep it moist.

• Like 1

If the environment is too dry,

this can actually cause the plant to stop breathing.

They have pores on the underside of the leaves which open and close,

these pores will close if the environment is too dry :( 

Sort the environment out :D 

We still don’t know what size the plants are relative to the pots ;) 

Photographs will help once @David Attenborough gets some uploaded.

@mysticriver that’s a technique that belongs with growing autos :yep:

Atb

11 hours ago, David Attenborough said:

can you over water in coco? especially if the plant roots hasn't filled the pot

When your medium gets wet and heavy this will crush undeveloped roots suffocating the plant of oxygen but coco holds the perfect ratio of water and oxygen for root development, all you got to do is keep it moist, like an otters pocket 

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

Sort the environment out

Hes growing in the wardrobe at the moment, not a lot of options lol

I am having trouble uploading, might be my browser, trying to keep a secure connection seems to be messing with the site. I put a wet towel in there just before lights off and RH was a steady 45, plants are large, looking like they willbe due to potting up over the next few days. leaf curl seems to have stopped, perhaps even receded slightly. I hope when potted up the RH will rise also. One of the plants, a pure indica is showing signs of deficiency, I will put details in the other thread to keep things tidy.

As for watering, I am switching over to grow nutes as per GA chart , they recommend 3ml/l but I will start with 2.5ml/l and water every other day for now and watch to see how they take it. I kind of know when they are due watering by pot weight.

pH to 5.8 - 6.2 in coco :yep:

The site is being overhauled to bring us into the 21st Century lol 

Chrome based browsers seem to suffer the worst.

Download and use Firefox if you don't already have it ;) 

Atb

• Like 1

@David Attenborough You can over water in compost, a wet/dry cycle works best in my experience. A Coco substrate will dry out quicker and require more replenished nutrients, I'm currently growing in coco/perlite & I'm watering every other day.

I'd, get yourself a cheap (£10) moisture meter off the internet. Don't trust these things for accurate p/h levels. However, I whack them into my pots and it gives me a rough idea how damp things 6" down are.

Welcome to UK420 by the way.

Edited by Lux_Interior
I spelt things badly

I also fertigate every day, but my dietary problems aren't relevant here; I've noticed the coco staying wet longer this time when i didn't use any perlite, making it harder to keep the plants fed.

i grow in pure coco

i flip to flower once im watering once per day

often end up watering about 4-5 times each day once in full bloom

no phing with ionic nutrients

you can defo overwater if theres no root base

Coco well dries out in any size pot when roots establish. You always need that connection of nutrients like charging a battery. Dry back causes crystallisation of the roots and it's so easy to overfeed after this happens. 

• Like 1