cal mag?

snotbottom

I am reading up on this now, my water is 'very hard' , test rsults below , do I need to do anything about this?

Total hardness:

The water in your area is classed as very hard.

Scale/units               Average      Maximum      Minimum ]

CaCO3 mg/l

Calcium Carbonate    427.18           442.71          419.15

mg/l Ca                    153.21          158.82           149.23

total hardness           170.87          177.08           167.66

Degrees Clarke          29.73            30.81             29.17

French Degrees         42.72            44.27             41.92

German Degrees        24.26           25.15              23.81

Brewers information:

Scale/units              Average          Maximum      Minimum

CaCO3 mg/l

Calcium Carbonate    427.18            442.71          419.15

mg/l Chloride            50.875              53                 48

mg/l alkalinity (HCO3) 402.39          417.98           390.70

mg/l Ca - Calcium       153.21          158.82           149.23

mg/l Mg -Magnesium  10.74            11.21             9.50

mg/l Sodium              28.81            30.25             27.37

mg/l Sulphate            97.44            134.09            67.7

Just now, snotbottom said:

mg/l Ca - Calcium       153.21     

mg/l Mg -Magnesium  10.74 

If I’m reading this right, fuck knows what I’m doing up at this hour, then your cal:mag ratio is about 15:1 when ideally it should be around 3:1. Probably be able to iron it out with Epsom salts.

Are you experiencing problems like?

• Like 2

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

If I’m reading this right, fuck knows what I’m doing up at this hour, then your cal:mag ratio is about 15:1 when ideally it should be around 3:1. Probably be able to iron it out with Epsom salts.

Are you experiencing problems like?

No issues yet, only a few weeks into it, growing in coco with GA nutes, .

• Like 1

Can’t go far wrong with GA. I’ve just gone back to them. Proper solid nutrients. If you do ever think water quality is an issue, you probably already know, they do water analysis and can advise you from there.

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Can’t go far wrong with GA. I’ve just gone back to them. Proper solid nutrients. If you do ever think water quality is an issue, you probably already know, they do water analysis and can advise you from there.

Thanks man , I will keep an eye on it and see how they pan out, I just wanted to be prepped for it if it happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My water was similar to yours and I was forever having problems with EC and pH, nothing would stabilise.

I bought an RO system from Amazon (£170), some soft water nutes and a bottle of CalMag to see if it would work. It has been a stunning difference! pH is stable, EC is spot on and I got 560g of cured goodies from one plant; nearly double my previous record. 

Why would you add more salts to a water that is already overloaded with chemicals you don't want? Filter the water clean and add what your plants need.

I realise that not everybody can afford to splash out on RO in one hit, but the increased revenue from doing so is more than enough to pay a loan from a mate back...

Edited by Slartybartfast

8 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

the increased revenue from doing so is more than enough to pay a loan from a mate back...

This would suggest that you are selling :(

This site is for those of us who want away from the dealer, 

not become one ;)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Technically, giving weed to pals is a criminal offence called ‘supplying prohibited substances’ regardless of monetary exchange. Don’t hate the players, hate the game. I’m pretty sure 100% of uk420 growers have committed the heinous crime of supply, even losers like us have at least 1 weed smoking buddy.. :yep: 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

560g of cured goodies from one plant

What strain was that bud?  Any pics?  I'd love to see that amount returned from growing under a 400hps.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Technically, giving weed to pals is a criminal offence called ‘supplying prohibited substances’ regardless of monetary exchange.

Which includes passing a joint.

• Like 4

Read the title and thought :yawn: yawn, not another snake oil post. aware few users sware by it but if ya waters hard, why bother, save that cash for a replacement filter.

@mikeydoughnut what nutes did you wander off to and why back to GA? I've looked at them and as a solid vitalink user for years with fair results, I wonder if the extra cost would give me more benefits ????

• Like 1

@sweettoothI’ve tried intense nutrients which are fairly convenient coz its the same A&B all the way through. Then I tried Hydrosol powdered feed. That’s meant to be a 60/40 mix with a bit of 50/50 during transition. I was finding deficiency when hitting weeks 5/6 of flower when banging some timber on but couldn’t get happy with it despite tweakery. I’m sure some folk use it flawlessly but I struggled. 
GA was the first nutrients I tried when moving to coco. Just dead easy and no adjustment for pH needed really unless you’re super anal about it. The root tonic is a magic potion. It’s proper bonkers how well it works. I only get it when I’ve got the brass and when I don’t have it it’s obvious to see. 

Edited by mikeydoughnut

@mikeydoughnut I may try a run, I did the costs and I was waaay higher using GA but you get what you pay for innit.

Brass ain't an issue so I'm in for the long haul, wondering I need all the additives or just the plain A&B, Root tonic and Extra Traces, I'm not starting ANOTHER GA nutes topic, proof will be in the pudding.

:magic:

• Like 1

@sweettooth Only A&B and Xtra Traces are necessary really. Root tonic as I’ve said is worth every penny. Anything else is up to you but I keep it pretty basic. Someone else might pop along with more knowledge on the extras. I’ve spoken to them on the blower and they’re really good blokes I’m sure they’d discuss yer needs.  Can’t recommend them enough. 

• Like 1