Advice on Curing please

Guggsy

Hello people,

I need some advice on Curing please,

I managed to jar up my harvest yesterday. I have a Hygrometer in each jar, checked and burped the jars this morning, most of them are already reading between 45%-63% rh, which is in the normal humidty range, which is what I should be aiming for in the jars. I know if the humidity levels were higher, maybe 70%+ then I need to open the jars to drop the humidty, but if the jars are already in the normal humidty range do I still need to burp the jars daily, if I do how long do I keep the jars open for, or is it a quick, open and close, just to change the air inside the jars.

Thanks

• Like 1

If it crumbles nice and smokes nice I'd jar it for good if it's still soggy when you take bud at bottom of jar or smell if off I'd take it out to dry out a day or two more on drying net or cardboard baggy regardless on humidity %.

You repeat process until it's done,I like to press me buds a bit in jar seems it dries better when I get it out

• Like 2

@Herbal Kint @Fatboy77 The ones I jarred this morning after a few hours humidty was reaching nearly 80% took the lids off and got back down to upper 60s. so I have left the lids off. proper stinky shit:thumsup:

The weird thing was I started to jar up yesterday about 12ish, I filled about 3 jars, Then I felt to hot and came back later in evening when the sun had gone out of the gardwn and the buds in drying place had gone crispy, which made it easier to remove the BS leaves by gently rubbiing on my hand. The ones I done earlier were to moist to do that to.

As it was getting to dark I left the last net till this morning, I thought they would be even crispier considering how I left them the night before, but no they were moist again, and I couldn't rub off the out leaves as I did the eveining before, so I just through them in the jar as they were. But the moisture levels are a lot higher than the ones I done the previous day. Even though they were all drying in the same place. I don;t know whether the coldness overnight or lower temps made them moist again over night.

Edited by Guggsy

58-62% is what you need to aim for, anything below 55% and the weed permanently stops curing even if you try to rehydrate it after.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Guggsy said:

The ones I jarred this morning after a few hours humidty was reaching nearly 80%

Get them out the jars and put them in a cardboard box or brown paper bags for a couple days mate..you will end up with mouldy weed if its hitting 80 in the jars after just a few hours..crispy on the outside maybe but there clearly not dry enough for jars just yet so take caution is my advice.

I presume after a few hours in the jars the buds all softened up again? Lots of moisture is still in them buds by the sounds of it :yinyang:

• Like 6

When weed is dry it doesn't need burping, dry it a bit longer as suggested and then you'll have nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1

Dry the weed as slowly as you and the conditions allow. When you put it in the jars it should be dry. Leave it there for 3mths. Burping is for Coco-Cola drinkers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

@Guggsy my weed is how I like it to skin up with when I jar it.  The current weather is fucking awful for anything but a veg tent.

If I take out a nicely dried nug and leave it for an hour, when I try to grind it the grinder clumps it up.  

Dry weed is like a sponge I've found.  I have to leave any nugs on the sky box atm, or they're spongey when I come to grind them.

I noticed mine, after a couple of days bagged, seemed moister in the grinder, so I left the bags open for a couple more days to dry a touch more. Weird, as it ground just fine before I bagged it up. Mostly. The moisture must redistribute itself around the contents of the bag, I guess 

• Like 2

lollollol sorry should’ve added the fact the dehumidifier in the lung room is set at 60%, so not too moist in the garage 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Revive said:

Get them out the jars and put them in a cardboard box or brown paper bags for a couple days mate..you will end up with mouldy weed if its hitting 80 in the jars after just a few hours..crispy on the outside maybe but there clearly not dry enough for jars just yet so take caution is my advice.

I presume after a few hours in the jars the buds all softened up again? Lots of moisture is still in them buds by the sounds of it :yinyang:

These buds where drying in my net outside in my drying place in a storage thing for week and half before I started to jar them up yesterday, and this morning. I got 14 jars in total. Jars 1-11 are all fine, between 45%-62% it was the ones I done this morning, as it was getting late last night, so I decided to do the last 3 jars this morning. and it was those last 3 jars that were very moist. burped those twice today, the 2nd time i left the jars open and let my fan gently blow across the jars, got the humidity down from 78% to 57% in minutes. Put lids back on at 57% and put them back in storage with others. will check tomorrow and do it again on those 2 jars.

I still got my photoperiod to flower and bloom yet, So I am hoping once that is done, hopefully by mid october, that will give me a few more jars to fill. Autos are all jarred and curing.

Edited by Guggsy
  • Like 1

@Fatboy77 I vape my weed. I gave up smoking it long time ago. I like so when you put it in grinder it crumbles up nicely, fill up my basket set vape to 405f-410f give it a few mins and off you go.

Just now, Guggsy said:

let my fan gently blow across the jars, got the humidity down from 78% to 57% in minutes. Put lids back on at 57%

Thats not gonna remove any of the moisture still in those buds dude, as soon as that lid goes on its gonna shoot straight back up again..putting it in paper bags will even out the dry a bit more as it sounds like they flash dried a bit on the outside from what you said..hopefully its alright when you check tomorrow but damp bud in an air tight jar dont take long to get furry.. you did all the hard work growing it so don't let the dry and cure ruin that for you is all im saying..its just my opinion bro and its not my bud but there's nothing worse than badly dried weed, it really isn't very nice.

Good luck with it guggsy let us know how it turns out :yep:

• Like 4

I've found properly dried buds don't need burping after jarring up, but not fully dry definitely do. I like sealed drying small amounts these days over silica gel with a small usb fan to circulate the air. Small buds dry fully in 4-6 days and are perfectly preserved, never lose their smell and for some reason don't seem to shrink as much as much as hung air dried buds. They can be vaped and are delicious and improve further with storage in jars.  I don't smoke so not sure how they burn but through the vape they're fine.  It's how ornamental flowers are dried to preserve colour and form and works very well for canna too if done right 

• Like 1

@Revive I get what your saying. I've had mouldy bud before, not a good thing. I will kerep an eye on it. Believe me I don't want to ruin what I got. I think what might have happened to the ones a Jarred up yesterday morning, because I left them in the net overnight, and I moved them up from bottom net to top net, piled the stems up on top of each other, ready to be cut and jarred in the morning, shut my drying storage place totally, as I usually leave a gap so air can circulate. I figured they'll be fine. I can go in, in the morning brush off the unwantred leaves as I did with the others before jarring, and then jar them up. but over the night they had become more moist, If I had waited till later in the day, rather in the morning they would have been just as dry as the others. But i'l keep an eye on those 2 jars. The other 12 jars are fine, well within the range.

• Like 1