Needed A Bigger Pot

Guggsy

Hey folks looking for advise.

I decided to re-pot my Photoperiod, the Special Kush, as My plant wasn't looking very well in the 11 Litre pot it was growing in. When I pulled it out of the pot it was very root bound.

I don't know if i have left it to late but I have done it anyway.

It is now in a 30 Litre pot. I didn't disturb the roots, when I transferred to bigger pot. I just lifted it out of the old 11 Litre pot, and put it in the 30 Litre pot.  I used some fresh compost, and re used the compost from my Autos, as I have harvested them and are now drying, ready to be jarred, either tomorrow or Thursday.

I was just wondering in a 30 Litre pot how much water is advisable, when watering. at a guess I think abouut 7 litre, going by I used to give 3-4 litres to my 11 litre pots, so rouighly the pot is 3 times bigger so 3x the amount with feed.

What do you folks think?

Edited by Guggsy

@Fatboy77 No I use PM supreme Soil/compost. The reason I was giving 4L in my 11 litre pot, was because after 2-3 days the pot was dry, which is another sign of plant being root bound. I didn't look at the bottom of the pot to see if the rootes where coming out of the bottom, but when I pulled the plant out of the pot I could see It was root bound. I just hope the roots will take to the new 30 litre pot.

This was my 1st ever photoperiod. I usually do Auto's, so I thought 11 litre pot should be ok. But lately the plants was looking off, done some research and took in, that if you are growing photoperiod outdoors, you need at least 15L-20L pot, as I didn't have any 15L or 20L the only large size I had was 30L I thought it will have to do.

Edited by Guggsy

watering every two days is normal for me, i wouldn't say that solely meant they was root bound.

I see online when people pot up a big jump in size they brake/cut the root mas in a couple of areas to improve their chances of spreading outwards, never done it myself tho.

How old and what stage is your plant at?

@Military Grade @Fatboy77

Here are a few pictures of what the plant was in and what I transferred it into.

I germinated 25th May been in 11 Litre pot since then. So today transferred into 30 Litre pot.

As you can see some of the leaves are dying also, due to deficiency, another sign pot bound considering I was feeding everytime I watered, 2-3 days.

large.64dbaa04af31a_SpecialKushPic1repot.jpg

large.64dbaa060c0d8_SpecialKushpic2repot.jpg

large.64dbaa035594a_SpecialKushpic3repot.jpg

let me know any thoughts. As I mentioned before this is my 1st ever photoperiod, after 4 years of doing just Autos.

• Like 4

Just confirming i didn't realise this was a thread in the outdoor section as i clicked on it via the home page Topics side bar, So ignore my watering times my bad:doh:

@Fatboy77 I looked it up root bound cannabis symptoms, everything I read was what I was seeing. droopy leaves, even after watering, some days i would see the leaves ok, but most time they looked sickly, Nute burn, feeding PM Soil A+B 16ml to 4 Litres of water, every 2-3 days, which I think was excessive, hence why I saw nute burn. 11litre pots are ok if your growing in a tent, but for out door growth you need bigger. As the plant keeps growing until the natural switch to flower. In a tent you control when you want the plant to flower, hence you can keep it smaller, 11 Litre pot will work well in that case.

I only watered when the soil was dry, after putting my finger in the soil. so no over watering.

I even waited to until I could see the plant needed watering, as the leaves drooped as they day progressed, as soon as I watered the leaves perk up, but not fully.

I should have taken a picture of the plant when I pulled it out of the original pot.

• Like 1

@Guggsy water until run off then repeat when pot feels light..every couple or 3 days sounds about right just go by the weight of pot when watered then feel again in couple of days depends on weather also,obvs if it's been scorching then might need watering sooner ..7 litres sounds about right though atb

• Like 1

@Fatboy77  That's the thing it virtually did need watering everyday, but it didn't seem right feeding it each time as well. That is why I waited 2-3 days before watering. But because the plant was becoming root bound it wasn't pulling up the nutes, but instead the leaves started showing nute burn. We shall see what happens now, it's in a bigger pot. I am hoping the roots will just take, as I didn't disturb the root ball, it should just take up the extra space.

@stayup4ever I thought so. 7 Litres should be fine. I didn't feed it after transferring it. I just gave it a soaking, and will feed it in a couple of days. I will know if re potting to a bigger pot has made a difference, hopefully the leaves will look perkier, rather than drooping.

If this fails, I think I will stick to Autos next year, far more easier, and quicker to flower.

• Like 2

@Guggsy I very much doubt the issues the plant is having was down to it being pot bound..theres so many variables when growing outside with the constant changes to the environment temps are all over the show plus all the wet weather doesn't help..

I presume this girl is in the hands of mother nature 24/7 or do you move the plant inside when its real bad? Seems like a lot of feed for every 2/3 days too, 4ml per ltr you say?

Fluctuations in temps are also gonna effect the efficiency of nutrient uptake too so this could have had some effect on the plants health

regarding watering id say forget watering any set amount and just stick to lifting the pot or fingering the soil and just water when needed bro..again the environment isn't steady so some days the pot is gonna dry out much quicker than others or vice versa so id just act accordingly rather than a set method.

Be lucky mate 

@Guggsy she should be fine mate..if you can grow autos ok then you shouldn't have much of a problem growing photos as they are much more forgiving.atb 

• Like 1

@Guggsy if it needed watering every day and you was waiting 2 or 3 then thats prob why it was looking so wilted.

There's no need to feed the plant every watering once twice a week maybe with just water in between if she needs it..as @Fatboy77 said the nutes perhaps became concentrated by it drying out so much and thats whats caused the burn. 

Seems the issues you have had with her are deffo down to under watering and excess nutes rather than it being pot bound now I read your last message.

She will be fine once you make some corrections mate.

Don't give up :yep:

• Like 1

@Fatboy77 yes it did. the reason was if I knew i only watered it a couple of days before, in my mind it shouldn't have needed watering so quickly, But obvs it did. But the leaves didn't look right, even though they perked up slightly.

@Revive Yes 4ml per litre of PM soil A+B HW so next watering will be 28ml for 7 litres of water. 14ml PM soil A and 14ml PM soil B, due to the larger pot I transferred to.  Yes the plant is outside 24/7. to hard to bring it in for me.

I did water only when pot was dry. I always check before watering if the plant needs it or not. Each time I went to that Photo the pot was bone dry, if I watered the day before, I could've gone to the pot the following day, and the pot would be dry.

Even today when I trasferrd the pot, I gave it 4 Litres on sunday including 16ml of feed, I lifted the pot when I transferred it was bone dry, shit load of roots to the shape of the pot, you could not see the soil, just roots. Nothing like the autos, There was still plenty of space,

Edited by Guggsy
  • Like 1

What feed are you you using ?

Pm I take it you mean old timers plant magic mate?

A & B is that not hydro feed?

If you've got some old timers pm root stim give her some of that maybe as helps with transplant..what autos did you do mate?

@stayup4ever I use PM soil A+B HW(Hard Water, as I live in hard water area) I always grow in pots outdoors in PM supreme soil 11 litre pots.

This year I done 3x Royal AK autos and 3x White Widow Autos and then my Photoperiod Special Kusk#1, just because I wanted to try and grow a photoperiod to see the difference, as I have never grown a Photoperiod. I have been growing Autos for 4 years now, and each year is a lesson. This is my 5th year and wanted to try Photoperiod to see how it grows and see how much I get from a photoperiod compared to Autos. Also due to the crap weather we had this year I am hoping my Photo will make up the quatity that my Autos didn't produce. I like to grow enough for myself to last me till my next grow. Last year I got shit loads from my autos, I filled 21 jars 1 Litre each, this year I'll be lucky if I get half that amount. I harvested and put to dry my autos over a week and half ago, so will put them in jars tomorrow and then cure. I would have liked to give them a little longer may be a week or so longer before harvesting them, but again due to the crap weather and rain, I started to get bud rot, so I thought harvest and dry, to stop the bud rot getting worse. I dry in a outdoor storage box in nets. On the plus side as the weather hasn't been to hot the drying period has been longer, otherwise if the temps are above 30c they dry in 3-4 days which isn't good. 

I had a look the other day and they are sticky as fuck, so I am hoping for a good vape this year.

When my Photo is ready that will go in there to dry also. I am guessing that won't be till October sometime.

• Like 1

Im in a 30ltr with the Shaman ,  shes asking for a good drink every 2 days ,  im about 7ltrs a time ,  on a hot day im watering 7ltrs+  daily.  

Theres no way i hell i would be feeding her twice  / thrice weekly though ,  but thats just me ,  she dont look to be asking for feeding and really dont get why peeps just want to pump them full of salts when they aint asking for it ??     Just raising the risk of her reducing ,  even halting her uptake due to the amount availble.  

But each to their own and theres no way i would tell another grower how to run their own show :yep:    

• Like 1