Anyone know what these are?

CustardVape

I've started spraying with Bt as a precautionary measure, I'll continue spraying once week until about 2/3 weeks before harvest. 

The great thing about Bacillus thuringiensis is that it only targets cunterpillars, personally I wouldn't bother with the neem.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

I've started spraying with Bt as a precautionary measure, I'll continue spraying once week until about 2/3 weeks before harvest. 

The great thing about Bacillus thuringiensis is that it only targets cunterpillars, personally I wouldn't bother with the neem.

Exactly what I'll do next season. Prevention is the way forward :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KC said:

BT works against fungus gnats too, I'll have to search again as last time I checked I couldn't find it anywhere.

It does, but you need the subspecies Bacillus thuringiensis Israelensis.

It only works on the larval stage, not the adult fliers.

I get the stuff in tablet form which I either crush up and dilute in water and water in, or I take the tablet and place it next to my drippers so that it constantly gets microdosed throughout the grow.

For the fliers and other nasties such as aphids, Beauvaria Bassiana works, although it's slow acting.

All about preventative measures to stop it ever becoming a big infestation with multiple methods of eradication if it ever does.

• Like 4

Bascilus Thuringienis

This is the stuff I ordered and have been using recently,

@Thai Stick you might be able to translate some of this for us?

large.P8150005.JPG

large.P8150006.JPG

I don't use it at this level of concentration though.

large.P8150007.JPG

I barely use about one gram per 20l of water/feed :)

I'm not sure if this is what's keeping the fungus gnats at bay,

but I haven't seen any in my garden recently :D 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I gave them a call and they told me that the species is Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki.

The species specifically targets caterpillars.

Strange that they don't specify on their packaging.

Also I notice that their application rates in Thai say 25g-50g per 20 litres of water compared to the English recommendation of 75g per 20 litres.

If its working that is good to know.

Next time myself or a friend has an infestation I will try using this species as opposed to the isrealianis species and see what happens.

• Like 2

Wow thanks very much for that :thumsup:

I did just notice the photos of what looks like caterpillars on the pack lol 

I’ll continue to use it and I’ll update this thread about whether or not it’s keeping the fungus gnats away :yep:

I’m ignoring the dosing instructions and just putting about 1 - 2 grams in 20l of water.

Atb

You're welcome @Shumroom

Those dilution rates are for spraying the stuff and I suspect as always, the amounts they recommend are higher than what is actually required so you use more of the stuff quicker.

Out of curiosity, how much did the stuff set you back?

• Like 1

That came in at just under £43 delivery included.

There’s enough to last me about 5 years lol 

Atb

• Like 1

Holy Mary Jane! :ohmygod:

Shipping it from Thailand costs a fair bit.

Cost me roughly £25 per kg to ship to eastern Europe some BTI, BTK and BTA.

It seems that these caterpillars from Asia have made their way over to this side of the world and are wreaking havoc on a whole bunch of crops.

Not much an issue for the indoor folks but outdoors these critters multiply quickly and have an appetite of an elephant!

• Like 2

I recieved mine today. I got  2 x 1g sachets. The seller has obviously broken it down to sell individualy. Cost £4.24. Application rate is 1g to 1l of water , so should last a little while.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just to say I've stocked up on BT powder and neem oil for this coming outdoor season. 

I'll be fumigating the green house , and taking a prevention approach this year rather than letting anything take hold. 

• Like 1