Anyone know what these are?

CustardVape

These plants are grown out doors in my garden.

Whilst trimming I noticed on some buds these tiny black balls. On a couple of buds there's quite a lot of them. They don't move and you can just kind of flick them out.

But what the feck are they?

I'll try to get better pics if need be. Any help appreciated :smokin:

large.IMG20230810193453_copy_1843x2457.jpglarge.64d53676a5241_IMG202308101935172.jpglarge.64d53669ed968_IMG202308101934572.jpglarge.64d5365ca8124_IMG202308101934382.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

When you 'flick' them off do more keep appearing?

No. I saw a couple on a leaf , then opened up the bud and there were lots , deep inside the bud. Flicked them out with the end of my scissors as best I could  but no more reappeared 

Edited by CustardVape
Spelling
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, CustardVape said:

No. I saw a couple on a leaf , then opened up the bud and there were lots , deep inside the bud. Flicked them out with the end of my scissors as best I could  but no more reappeared 

Bizarre, I've not come across anything similar. I had a caterpillar issue ages ago but I didn't notice anything quite like that.

Have you seen any caterpillars? or any other fairly large bugs!

• Like 1

Just now, Lux_Interior said:

Bizarre, I've not come across anything similar. I had a caterpillar issue ages ago but I didn't notice anything quite like that.

Have you seen any caterpillars? or any other fairly large bugs!

I've read elsewhere that caterpillars leave droppings similar to what I've seen.

But no I've not seen any!! 

I'll have another thorough check in the morning on my remaining plants to see if I can spot anything :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CustardVape said:

I've read elsewhere that caterpillars leave droppings similar to what I've seen.

But no I've not seen any!! 

I'll have another thorough check in the morning on my remaining plants to see if I can spot anything :)

I didn't think caterpillars would get inside the buds. They can be buggers to spot they can be a similar colour to a cannabis stem. Are there any droppings on the floor or elsewhere?

ETA: I checked gardening websites online and what you are seeing does look very much like Caterpillar 'poo'

Edited by Lux_Interior
ETA
  • Like 1

@CustardVape there are nematodes available to help with caterpillars without spraying your buds with chemicals. However,  I think it helps if you know what caterpillars you are dealing with. See if you can find one of the blighters & then maybe we can identify it.

Have you seen any moths flying around?

• Like 1

I'd place my bets on it being insect poop, more than likely from a caterpillar but very possible it's from a ladybug too.

Pop one in your mouth and see how it tastes. lol

Insect frass is a great additive to your soil as it contains chitin and all sorts of other goodies.

• Like 2

It's poop from some kind of invertebrate.

Shake your buds when you harvest, you'll be amazed at what drops out.

That's caterpillar "Frass" (Poo), my friend. Secreted onto the leaves to confuse the plant into thinking it is under  fungal attach and not a pest infestation. Caterpillars can then get the max nutrition from the plant without fear of the plant mounting some form of chemical defence......Very fascinating stuff. First documented on Maize plants in the 70's I think.

You need to remove as much of the poo as possible and find the culprits. The caterpillars will be about 1cm long and almost the same green colour as the plant. They'll be deep into the bud or under the leaves at the densest part of the foliage. I've had a couple of instances like this on cucumber plants. One was a caterpillar infestation and the other was stink Bugs. I really hope its not stink bugs, they are incredibly difficult to remove. 

Have a look at @jiujitsupigface post to see what you're looking for: 

Edited by disco survivor
  • Like 3