RIP Wilko

Slippy One

I know of lot of GG’ers have used this shop over the years for everything from cheap chicken wire to compost. They’ve gone into administration which means it could disappear completely. Sad day for cheap potash.. :(

• Like 9

Ah fuck, back to rip off bamboo canes then , even with my staff discount at the garden centre Wilko still beat it , 10 4ft canes for 1.75? Yes please!

:yinyang:

• Like 3

So sad...Our City centre is just as depressing - Online shopping in pandemic seemed to be the final nail in many retail businesses.

@BilgePump That's crazily cheap for canes. 

• Like 6

I always check my local independent hardware store for anything before I go anywhere else cos I know I'm lucky to have one and I don't mind paying a little bit more to support independent local business (I try to buy my fruit and veg from the greengrocer, meat from the butcher and bread from the bakery as well, both because I know I'm lucky to live somewhere such things still exist anf because the quality is better :) ).

• Like 15

Our town center is always busy, too busy for my liking, our wilko is slap bang in the middle of town and seems to get good traffic be a real shame to see it go :no:

• Like 4

Online has killed the high street. Quite lucky that there are loads of restaurants open around my way. My old area seems to be the odd charity shop and chicken shops. No doubt at some stage all the shops will get converted into cheaply done flats and rented out for a nice chunk of everyone’s wages. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Boojum said:

local independent hardware store

Ours is up for sale :(

It's literally got anything you need, I'll miss the isopropyl, maxicrop and baking trays.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

Its sad to see Wilkos go... When I was around 16, I bought loads of shit compost and other bits from Wilko, and converted an old bedside cabinet into a little grow chamber - my first ever attempt at growing cannabis (pitifully) indoors lol A few years later when I was a little older, and I had moved out to live on my own, my late nanan took me to Wilkos and got me loads of stuff I'd need like dish clothes and a scrubbing brush, which I joked about at the time and very seriously she told me "you never know when you might need to scrub your front door step or something!" imagine how much of a wally I felt when years later there I was, scrubbing the fucking front door step with it lollol

• Like 13

Yeah it's a shame.  Kind of surprised to be honest.  My wilko is super busy. I need to stock up on sop, fbb, bone meal and 40L blocks of coco before it closes 

• Like 6

Writing's been on the wall for a few weeks. They stopped home delivery recently, sign of the end. Such a pity because the carry a lot of things useful for growing and home brewing too. Maybe a buyer will be found for the business, let's hope so.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

more people thrown on the unemployment pile by the tory fuckers.....

but apparently the economy is booming, if you listen to those privately educated arseholes, and their right wing press slime.

• Like 4

this begs the question, who the fuck is running WH Smiths? they never have any customers here, running shops in shitty dead end towns, and the last time i went in for printer ink, they had loads, but it was for all the old models, just sat there gathering dust lol

they have to be next, or, they are definitely a front for an organised crime outfit lol

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, ratdog said:

this begs the question, who the fuck is running WH Smiths?

They make a lot of money at airports and railway stations. Reckon they'll be okay.

• Like 2