Organic soil- but 'Canna' nutes.. Is 100% organic noticeably different? ..Thinking of changing.

Oakapple

Just now, Oakapple said:

Your name ''Stig''...Loved 'Stig of the dump'' as a kid- great book.

getton yeah you get it mate, just wish he found a bong for a good avatar lol

As for leds used old viper spectra xs1000 in a 1 x 1 metre grow to good use and am looking at upgrading atm and expanding ;)lucky, looking at a maxi bright 480w man, looks good and solid or one of the migro new bits but waiting for a discount code lol

• Like 2

On dog walk at mo so can only reply briefly- 

So interesting re recent comments

Friend teaches ecology and plant science and is very “ NPK is NPK “ just different ratios. 

I do agree that people ( me included) get used to one method and stay that way “ If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it “

However hermageddon has made me see that it is possible to be more EFFICIENT with different training methods &c. 

Thanks everyone!

On 07/08/2023 at 11:50 AM, Oakapple said:

Do plants find organics easier to uptake?

No, but if you grow organically I would highly recommend using Mycorrhizal fungi from the start.

It's the fungi that has a symbiotic relationship with your plant's root system, the fungi help your plants uptake nutrients and water in return for sugars. Using molasses also gives the fungi population a big boost and contains lots of amino and fulviic acids  I did a side-by-side experiment, one pot with Mycorrhizal fungi the other without and the difference in the rootball at harvest time was astonishing. Always use it now. I use Rootmax(which is also excellent for rooting clones).

My best results have come from using a mix of 45% light mix, 45% coco and 10% worm humus. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

No, but if you grow organically I would highly recommend using Mycorrhizal fungi from the start.

It's the fungi that has a symbiotic relationship with your plant's root system, the fungi help your plants uptake nutrients and water in return for sugars. Using molasses also gives the fungi population a big boost and contains lots of amino and fulviic acids  I did a side-by-side experiment, one pot with Mycorrhizal fungi the other without and the difference in the rootball at harvest time was astonishing. Always use it now. I use Rootmax(which is also excellent for rooting clones).

My best results have come from using a mix of 45% light mix, 45% coco and 10% worm humus. 

Thanks for sharing that, Peregrine.

That's interesting re Mycorrhizal fungi- Great experiment! - Have made a note of your %ages on light mix , worm castings &c.   

On 08/08/2023 at 3:34 PM, Oakapple said:

People seem to use all different brands of LED lights.  With HPS it seemed much easier.

Some members in cold houses find temp is an issue in winter.

Yeah I hear you but I added a 70W tube heater onto 325W worth of LED lamps it is cheaper, no doubt. However, I had to move the crop out of the loft and into a spare bedroom. Whacking blankets on top of tents, etc in the winter helps too. Remember electrical safety though. My temps have been roughly 18-28°C for nearly two years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Yeah I hear you but I added a 70W tube heater onto 325W worth of LED lamps it is cheaper, no doubt. However, I had to move the crop out of the loft and into a spare bedroom. Whacking blankets on top of tents, etc in the winter helps too. Remember electrical safety though. My temps have been roughly 18-28°C for nearly two years.

Thanks..Yes, electrical safety in old houses is important ..  18~28° C is pretty good going,

Temperature is the hardest to get right - that ''sweet spot'' like Goldilocks and the three bears and the porridge - not too hot, not to cold, but 'Just right'.

I will buy a cheap duvet from Ikea {warm duvets/low price}

Lofts are really tricky places to grow in, I think - my loft is arctic in winter and boiling in summer..Probably like most people's lofts.

Spare rooms are usually 'warmer' for sure.

Edited by Oakapple
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakapple said:

Lofts are really tricky places to grow in, I think - my loft is arctic in winter and boiling in summer..Probably like most people's lofts.

Spare rooms are usually 'warmer' for sure.

I was committing a 3rd floor felony for fifteen years. Old age and clambering up ladders with 10litres of water, alongside hostile environments, eventually convinced me to bring the grow downstairs into 'tents'. My personal circumstances make this possible. Obviously the grow is more discoverable now, but, I'm past caring.

I have saved money & life is easier.

• Like 3

I used to grow like you in canna pro and canna nutrient but now I've gone organic and no sure what difference is it makes except less time needed to flush and makes growing so much easier.

I initially bought the biotab starter pack and that can do either 10 plants or 5 plants depending on your pot size it might only do 3. 

After realising how easy it was growing and less stress in soil than coco I stopped buying the starter packs and bought separately and now ive enough to last years 

I never heard of biotab and it was Mark from.seedstockers who told me to give it a try. 

You prep your soil add some biotabs and feed water and orgatrex but if you choose the water only method you also add silicium flash to your soil and just feed plain water. Absoloutely amazing stuff, my problem is I like coco as it gives better yield but saying that I just got 90g off banana thunder auto plant in soul so I'm good with that 

That big monster clone ive got in seddstockers thread for the mandarin panties is on biotab water only and been going 7 month before flowering her a fortnight ago. I'll move her on compost tea wk 3

Edited by Darknight420710

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For best results IMO… Organic for outdoors, non for indoors. As cat weasel said gotta be on your game with organics, I found it’s not easy to correct things if you mess up. I’ve smoked organic bud grown in living soil from a few lads who are supposed to be top of their game and as nice it was, it wasn’t better than the coco/salt grown bud by someone at the top of their game.. 

• Like 3

I grow with organic soil and only use teas to feed as and when needed, I've had no problems at all since I've stopped using tap water.

redbb.jpg

it's taken 3 years for me to get to the stage I'm at, and now I grow with only organic soil and only use teas to feed as and when needed, I've had no problems at all since I've stopped using tap water.

Red banana berry at 7 weeks 12/12

redbb.jpg

• Like 1