Organic soil- but 'Canna' nutes.. Is 100% organic noticeably different? ..Thinking of changing.

Oakapple

Have been using Biobizz and Canna Professional Plus soil but with ''Canna'' nutes.

These are not organic.

Thinking of changing to organic based feed

Do plants find organics easier to uptake?

Canna hasn't given me any problems, but it is probably the ''Pedigree chum'' of plant food- It used to be heavily advertised in the old weed mags- and I am a sucker for a good advertlol

Has anyone moved over from the ''Dark side'' to Organics, or did most of you start out 'Organic' in the first place?

Was there a 'Learning curve' and were the results noticeably different?

Many thanks :)

I switched from organic to the dark side, I'm looking back and think I want to go back to organics only thing I did like with the non organics I never had any mites living in my soil or gnats organics I was full of all different sorts of things living in the soil.

• Like 2

They take synthetic nutes up way faster than organics. I like the idea of it all but essentially you're using a nutrient from a plastic bottle so that sort of kills the whole hippy organic bullshit thing. Canna do their Bio range which is meant to be 'organic' but bear in mind organic standards vary greatly from country to country, I believe the UK ones are very strict compared to the Dutch.

I wouldn't say I prefered my Biobizz weed over my Canna or the other way really. I tried Intense too, the dirt range which is synthetic, that was ok.

Edited by KC
too many toos
  • Like 6

I think with organics it's important to have everything  on-point at the start. Post-planting rectification is much more difficult than the synthetic method.

• Like 5

I am outdoors fully organic, only way to go,

and this last two indoor grows used super soil cooked and used indoors with only wormcast tea and comfrey teas alongside straight water and was lovely to grow,

but done correctly using coco and a decent mineral line will give more yield, and if a decent grower will most likely outperform most runs, but the taste from the last lot was something else :hippy:

just my 2pennies 

• Like 4

I'm outdoors and fully organic as well but I use pots, organic multi purpose compost and organic feed (BioBizz), so my set up isn't too dissimilar to what I was doing indoors, I've just upgraded my light. 

It's taken me 3 years and I've tried a few other things but I'm finally settling on a method I'm happy with. 

• Like 2

Similar to @Arbre Medicinal indoors biobizz , teas and containers if inexperienced as very forgiving method and once you get to know to read plants easy to remedy with simplicity, 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the replies!

I wasn't notified of any - until googling again just now.

Very interesting.

My plants {Hermies aside!} always look/ed well on 'Canna' salts , no nute burn {But I do feed 'Light'}  EC 0.4 and maybe with a hungry variety EC 0.6

One member messaged to say one can't ''EC ''Organic nutes which I genuinely didn't know...That makes the potential for overfeeding /underfeeding greater. 

I use 'Hesi' root stim, and noticed that that doesn't affect EC - 

It's interesting also about the fungus gnats- I have had them with improperly~ stored garden centre soil {Levington's} before switching to Bio Bizz /Plagron/or Canna soils...they definitely weren't killed off by the 'Canna' salts.

I'm at that transition where I need to switch out oldskool lights with LED for cost reasons - but haven't bit the bullet yet.

Have to try to get to the bottom of the recent herm issue first. 

With organics, people seem to add 'Cal mag'- I've not had to do that {apart from years ago when I wasn't Ph testing the water, and had a magnesium deficiency that showed itself in early 12/12}

Magnesium deficiency was solved with epsom salts- since keeping feed at  PH 6.2 haven't noticed any deficiencies. {Fingers crossed}

Organic is yet another learning curve!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I think with organics it's important to have everything  on-point at the start. Post-planting rectification is much more difficult than the synthetic method.

This is the kind of thing I need to be aware of.

Thanks for that info.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KC said:

They take synthetic nutes up way faster than organics. I like the idea of it all but essentially you're using a nutrient from a plastic bottle so that sort of kills the whole hippy organic bullshit thing. Canna do their Bio range which is meant to be 'organic' but bear in mind organic standards vary greatly from country to country, I believe the UK ones are very strict compared to the Dutch.

I wouldn't say I prefered my Biobizz weed over my Canna or the other way really. I tried Intense too, the dirt range which is synthetic, that was ok.

If there is no significant taste or smell difference between full organic 'Living soil' to Canna salts in soil... seems a bit pointless to swap it out and potentially go through a huge learning curve.

Outdoor weed is obviously going to be different, it has full spectrum natural light, wind, rain {rot apart} and centuries/milennia of soil caused by the breakdown of plants and microbes, worms &c. 

• Like 1

If you want to improve your weed just get an led of you haven't already, one with a good spectrum. Outdoor weed without the rot lol

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KC said:

If you want to improve your weed just get an led of you haven't already, one with a good spectrum. Outdoor weed without the rot lol

Bang on led all the way for me now man

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KC said:

@KCand @Stigofthedank 

What LED's are you using?

I am asking everyone this to get a feel for what is a 'good' light.

'Outdoor weed without the rot'...that sounds good.

People seem to use all different brands of LED lights.  With HPS it seemed much easier.

Some members in cold houses find temp is an issue in winter.

{Had a mega stress today- ordered an ink bird humidity meter controller that a UK420 member recommended, and it hadn't arrived, despite being marked ''Delivered''

Zero buyer protection if tracked.

Turned out the courier had hidden it so well that it was akin to an easter egg hunt...Fair play to him.

I'd searched all through recycling and bin, and never would have found the parcel had Ebay help not linked to a pic..lol

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stigofthedank said:

Bang on led all the way for me now man

Your name ''Stig''...Loved 'Stig of the dump'' as a kid- great book.

• Like 2

Like Fatboy said, whatever method of growing someone uses doesn't really matter once they've mastered the art, primo bud and big yields are possible with any growing style. 

The substances (salts) the plant actually absorbs through its roots are exactly the same wether you use salts, "organic" liquid feeds or slow release nutrients, the only real difference is how readily available they are.

Some people will swear down that one method is better than the other, but it really just comes down to personal preference, some people get on better with one way than they do others and thus form the opinion that that method is better. 

As a rule of thumb pretty much anything you can buy in liquid form isn't really organic, but that's a whole different conversation. Organic in itself is a pretty ambiguous term. 

• Like 4