CarboAir filter: 50 vs 60 vs Pro 60

Axiom

On 05/08/2023 at 10:28 AM, KC said:

Drill out the rivets, empty contents into bin bag and the casing can be disposed off at the recycling centre. You can crush it up a bit of you're worried about it:pitchfork:

Or you could buy some activated carbon refill it and screw the top back on with self-tapping screws.

I'm currently using a Rhino hobby jobby it seems to work OK. I had a filter for three years but I had to admit it was f*cked when a guy from Amazon commented about the whiff of weed he smelt whilst delivering a shoe rack.

Nose blind.

• Like 3

@Lux_Interior That is very true mate, perfectly doable I'm sure but for the money i'd rather the professionals do it. I think they're a very reasonable price for the time they last and the job they do. I'd have one in the veg tent but they had no 4inchers in stock when I went last time so it was eaither a budget or a rhino, i can't recall. It's not so important that one, it vents into the room it's in, the flower room goes outside.

I so want a shoe rack man, I should treat myself really. I got shoes all over the floor, I'm such a tramp.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2023 at 0:22 PM, Lux_Interior said:

Or you could buy some activated carbon refill it and screw the top back on with self-tapping screws.

I have a huge old CAN filter, I might try it with that first. Not sure how to drill out rivets though, do you need a specific drill bit for that?

I genuinely like to recycle and reuse big clunk like filters. Its not so much the expense of replacing, but the PITA in disposing them.

On 07/08/2023 at 0:22 PM, Lux_Interior said:

I had a filter for three years but I had to admit it was f*cked when a guy from Amazon commented about the whiff of weed he smelt whilst delivering a shoe rack.

Maybe it was just a whiff he got from a linger on your clothes? Either way that is scary stuff. Sometimes when I wake up I can smell weed but I don't know where its coming from so I can only assume the smell is trapped in my snot from the night before and that could make me nose blind. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Axiom said:

I have a huge old CAN filter, I might try it with that first. Not sure how to drill out rivets though, do you need a specific drill bit for that?

I genuinely like to recycle and reuse big clunk like filters. Its not so much the expense of replacing, but the PITA in disposing them.

Start with a HSS drill bit that won't quite fit into the rivet and then go sequentially larger until you drill the rivet out. Then buy self tapping screws slightly larger to re-secure the end of the filter.

I have an old filter in my garage I'm 'thinking' of re-filling. Maybe a bit of gasket paste to make sure no air leaks.I'm looking for a decent UK supplier of suitable activated carbon I love the "like to recycle approach". How cost effective the endevour would be I'm not entirely sure!

Godspeed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 10:02 PM, Lux_Interior said:

Start with a HSS drill bit that won't quite fit into the rivet and then go sequentially larger until you drill the rivet out. Then buy self tapping screws slightly larger to re-secure the end of the filter.

I have an old filter in my garage I'm 'thinking' of re-filling. Maybe a bit of gasket paste to make sure no air leaks.I'm looking for a decent UK supplier of suitable activated carbon I love the "like to recycle approach". How cost effective the endevour would be I'm not entirely sure!

Godspeed.

Intra labs sell activated carbon that appears suitable for refilling a filter, I'm gonna order some and do my old rhino,I ain't paying £110 for a new one, when I can refill it for 1\4 of that...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Intra labs sell activated carbon that appears suitable for refilling a filter, I'm gonna order some and do my old rhino,I ain't paying £110 for a new one, when I can refill it for 1\4 of that...

Thank you. I reckon it's worth a punt. The first job (I guess) is to empty out the old filter and weigh up how much activated carbon it would take to refill it.

I don't think I'd wear my favorite shirt while I was doing it either.

Just now, Lux_Interior said:

Thank you. I reckon it's worth a punt. The first job (I guess) is to empty out the old filter and weigh up how much activated carbon it would take to refill it.

I don't think I'd wear my favorite shirt while I was doing it either.

I've recharged my current rhinos carbon in the oven,it stunk the house out,lol, not too messy a job and it's been running odour free for over a year since. I did weigh the carbon,about 4kg if memory serves,though there's been plenty of herb through the volcano since :bong: it's a 150 x 300.

Edited by Mr mcgregor

• 2 weeks later...

@Mr mcgregor Wonder if its worth using 'granulated' carbon instead. It should be cheaper (as it's lighter too which always helps) so you get more surface area per £ spent. The CarboAir uses it so I'd replace like for like. Not sure why other manufacturers don't use it also. 

Just now, Axiom said:

@Mr mcgregor Wonder if its worth using 'granulated' carbon instead. It should be cheaper (as it's lighter too which always helps) so you get more surface area per £ spent. The CarboAir uses it so I'd replace like for like. Not sure why other manufacturers don't use it also. 

Instead of what?  the activated carbon is in granules......

Have you found a cheaper supplier..?

• Like 1

Oh I just assumed that it wasn't the granulated type, but pellets. ... because CarboAir claim its a unique selling point of their filters. I wonder if changing pellet type would affect the performance of the filter if it was originally the heavier type. That's why im glad ive already got the carboairs. 

Got myself 2 now. When I retire the current one I will have a go at replacing the granules. 

any ideas on how to test them instead of waiting until the end of next flower run to find out there's a leak?! Or do you just crack on with it? 

:yinyang: