CarboAir filter: 50 vs 60 vs Pro 60

Axiom

At first, I thought there was only two types of filter the 50 and 60mm.

Now I see the there is a Pro 60..?

I currently have a 50mm and smell is leaking through somehow, probably due to high humidity.
I double checked the tape seals and added some tape to some bits which looked dodgy. 

The dehumidifier fixed it a little for a short while + days  with lower humidity . 

I'm now looking at upgrading to the 60mm but want to know if it's worth getting the pro? 
What extra benefits does it have?

I figured its better to get a higher capacity filter for days like these...
I wonder if I would have the same issues with a brand new filter?
I'd rather have the peace of mind either way tbh.

What is the lifespan of these things anyway? 

:yinyang:

Any reason you want carboair? 

I've never used one, I hear too many bad things. Mountain air would see you right, they last years. 

• Like 2

It was my understanding that the 60 is the pro.

I’ve just checked GlobalAirSupplies website and I only see the 50 and the 60 pro :yep:

I’ve been running 8” CarboAir 60 x 600mm in my Bloomroom since upgrading to LEDs about 2 years ago,

I’ve got a 6” CarboAir 60 x 600mm in my Secret Jardin dr150W which is also around 2 years old.

Both are in pretty much constant use and I’m not getting any signs that I have to swap over to their replacements,

which are sitting waiting for their call up :D 

Although I did get the 8” CarboAir 60 x 1000mm as a replacement by accident lol 

Atb

Just now, Shumroom said:

Those 1000mm ones are whoppers, I have the 10inch and fuck me, should've gone for the 600mm

• Like 2

Just replaced a carboair 50 , lasted 2 years before it went. not too bad but my old mountain air beast lasted a lot longer  

• Like 1

similar sentiments - ive been using carboair (50's), not impressed, changed my last 1 after less than 18 months

to another carboair 50 as I didn't know any better

but ive got a mountain air waiting in the wings - they have a 2 year warranty 

mystic

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KC said:

Any reason you want carboair? 

I've never used one, I hear too many bad things. Mountain air would see you right, they last years. 

Bad things you say? It was the opposite for me I'm sure a couple years back when I bought it I read nothing but good things about their efficiency compared to other brands and also how they are really lightweight. The only thing that has made me think twice were the comments about the covid disruption to manufacturing and its impact on quality control.

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

similar sentiments - ive been using carboair (50's), not impressed, changed my last 1 after less than 18 months

to another carboair 50 as I didn't know any better

but ive got a mountain air waiting in the wings - they have a 2 year warranty 

@Shumroom Surely buying the larger one is a good thing no? Unless it doesn't match to your fan. 

@mysticriver Yeah I'm torn between changing brand or getting the 60mm version of the Carboair. 18 months is a downer though..

Where do these things gets disposed? hmm

e2a - So I just checked and the carbo air 50 don't do an 8" so I must have the 60 version in bloom.. time for a mountainair I guess

Edited by Axiom
errors
  • Like 2

Drill out the rivets, empty contents into bin bag and the casing can be disposed off at the recycling centre. You can crush it up a bit of you're worried about it:pitchfork:

• Like 1

I think the other main reason I chose the CarboAir is the airflow rating on the 600mm was bigger than the 1000mm mountain air! More bang for buck and all that.. 

1 hour ago, Axiom said:

18 months is

I dont know if this means anything, but I dont remember the carboair having a warranty

+ the fact that a warranty is MUCH more robust than a shaky 'guarantee'

mystic

• Like 1

@KC @mysticriver I'm still trying to figure out why (at least on the shop Im looking at) the mountainair equivalent is cheaper than carboair, considering it lasts longer and has a 2 year warranty. I swear hydro products industry is a big shit mystery gameshow sometimes. 

@Shumroom do you think you would go for another carboair when it comes time to replace? 

• Like 1

There was talk of knock off mountain airs, I suppose it happens with all the better makes whatever the product is. If its too cheap I'd be dubious. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Axiom said:

Surely buying the larger one is a good thing no? Unless it doesn't match to your fan. 

No my only problem is the amount of space it takes up before it’s actually required lol 

Yeah my experience with CarboAir and G.A.S products in general has been excellent,

so long as that continues I’m happy to pay the price for their gear :yep: 

I’m wondering if I’ll have to run my extraction fan a little faster with the 1m filter compared to the current 60cm one,

in order to keep the same air pressure across the carbon???

I’ll let people know in my diary’s ;) 

Atb

• Like 2

@Shumroom yeah, I think there will be a lot less pressure on the exhaust fan, but at the same time when you're running on low speeds with a larger filter, the worry is  by-passing the carbon due to inadequate air pressure to push through the carbon. I don't know if that's a thing with the CarboAir filters but it might be worth thinking about before buying. Growing with LEDs in the winter in a garage might mean low speed fan. 

I've done just fine with the 600mm in the winters but now the fan is on a much higher speed which the filter is probably not rated for and I suspect this might be one of the reasons for my smell issues. 

I just hope that oversizing doesn't create the problem in reverse. (first was too much air not enough filtration and then with larger filter would be too much filter and not enough airflow pressure to push through it). I think with the design of the CarboAir and their lighter pellets, it should be less of an issue oversizing.

• Like 1