Advice on nutes for a first coco grow

DrumBoy420

Hey all,

I'm switching over to coco for this next grow and looking for advice on nutrients. Has anyone had any experience with Advanced Nutrients? Is there claim to be PH perfect a real thing? Or is CANNA just as good for half the price?

Any other suggestions, feel free to let me know :) 

As said above,can't like the post(chrome browser).

My water is e.c 0.6, ph 7.8 out of the tap and Dutch pro hard water version gives me feed at 1.8 ec ph 5.9. (3 capfulls in 20l of water).It doesn't get much simpler.

• Like 1

@Fatboy77 @Mr mcgregor thanks guys, I’ve never heard of these nutes before. Are they the only two brands that do a soft/hard water version?

I’ve got very hard water here, average PH is about 7.8 as well

Edited by DrumBoy420

Get your water source tested like the guys say.....you will probably need to do it again in the winter Im afraid depending on your source if its very hard.

As the main reservoir goes down....my hardness increases....I adjust accordingly. 

After that....which ever brand you choose.....the coco versions are obviously the one to go for.

A food for thought.....IMO it would be incredibly foolish (depending on source) to go for something that isn't popular where you are purchasing from.

My reason for this would be shelf life....Many a bottle of complete shite been sat on shelfs for years in the wrong temperature. 

(ive given up trying to buy canna start that doesn't look like fucking goldshchlager)

I have had grows crippled because of this and Im now finding salts are giving me better consistency and more control   :yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

@zen-ken cheers mate, appreciate the advice. I just took a PPM reading of my water as well. So do you still recommend getting it tested? Is it best through growers ark? I noticed there test is about £30

I was interested in advanced nutrients just for the ease of not having to adjust the PH, wasn’t sure if that was just a gimmick or not but looking more into it, they don’t do a hard water version of anything so not sure if that’s an option now.

Never thought of the shelf life of the nutes before so that’s handy to know! 

thanks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrumBoy420 said:

advanced nutrients

I've been using these for well over ten years with top class results, you pay top price for them though...

Never adjusted ph and never had a yellow leaf, dead easy to use.

My water EC is 0.3 but I can't see any reason these nutes wouldn't work with yours, well worth a try...:yep:

I never use any of their supplements though...

Just A+B Grow and A+B Bloom is all you need with a touch of Buddhas Tree PK during flower.

Plenty of pics in my gallery, give you an idea of how good these nutes are...:yep:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

I've been using these for well over ten years with top class results, you pay top price for them though...

Never adjusted ph and never had a yellow leaf, dead easy to use.

Plenty of pics in my gallery, give you an idea of how good these nutes are...:yep:

Thats the main reason I stopped coco as I couldn't be faffed with getting the PH wrong and having to fix things all the time.. 

Are you telling me there's nutrients I can use without worrying over PH? 

I'm using biotab now but I'm in soil but miss my coco 

Edit.. just read more online.. 

Can advanced nutrients be used as normal feeding from the can without PH? I'm reading more for resovours or tanks

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumBoy420 said:

I just took a PPM reading of my water as well. So do you still recommend getting it tested? Is it best through growers ark? I noticed there test is about £30

Whats the base EC of your water ? 

You may be able to get an idea from the water report from your provider.....unfortunately down south it ain't that accurate  :yep:

If it's around 0.4 thats perfect and what most nutrient companies expect you to have.....any harder and id want to know whats in it.

Edited by zen-ken
spelling....again

@zen-ken my very cheap PPM meter gave me a reading of 371..not sure if I’m meant to calibrate it or anything as I’ve never used it before!

im based in East Anglia, I’ve spoken to a local hydro shop who advised that due to our hard water they find that customers have been getting on with the Dutch pro hard water range.

I’ll look into trying to get a report from water company but not sure how easy that will be! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darknight420710 said:

Can advanced nutrients be used as normal feeding from the can without PH? I'm reading more for resovours or tanks

Go on their site and have a look, they do different nutes for soil, coco and hydro...definitely no PH adjustment on any.

For a spanner in the works, I've got some plants in the garden using coco with beanstalk pellets. Only for 2 months and they look amazing. No ph adjusting, no added mg, no runoff. Definitely using beanstalk for the flowering cupboard, as the lack of runoff is less of a headache. 

30 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

For a spanner in the works, I've got some plants in the garden using coco with beanstalk pellets. Only for 2 months and they look amazing. No ph adjusting, no added mg, no runoff. Definitely using beanstalk for the flowering cupboard, as the lack of runoff is less of a headache. 

What size pots are you using. I've got 2 sachets of the beanstalk one pot mix but think it needs to be in a 15L 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrumBoy420 said:

@zen-ken my very cheap PPM meter gave me a reading of 371..not sure if I’m meant to calibrate it or anything as I’ve never used it before!

im based in East Anglia, I’ve spoken to a local hydro shop who advised that due to our hard water they find that customers have been getting on with the Dutch pro hard water range.

I’ll look into trying to get a report from water company but not sure how easy that will be! 

EC-to-TDS-conversion-chart-for-hydroponics.jpg

credit - hydro-gardens

I would imagine the reason for the rep trying to get you to use dutch pro is because of there mark up rather than its effectiveness 

1 hour ago, Darknight420710 said:

What size pots are you using. I've got 2 sachets of the beanstalk one pot mix but think it needs to be in a 15L 

3.5L, the tallish ones. Needs watering every day but just tap is a 30sec job. I did accidentally double the dose but they’re fine, and when they are depleted after 90 days, you can add more on top. :yep: 

Edited by Slippy One

You could support a local(ish) company and try solufeed' range...

I found their solufeed 'f' along with calcium nitrate to be inexpensive,though more involved than bottled nutes.