My 1st Photoperiod Outdoors

Guggsy

Hey Folks, I am growing my 1st ever photoperiod outdoors, I am growing Special Kush, which I started on May 20th. The reason I chose this was I thought, going by weather predictions that we were going to have another hot summer like last year, and this plant is good in the heat, as it's genetics are from a hot climate. But as I have seen this year, the UK weather has been complete crap, apart from early to mid June, the rest up until now has been very poor with below average temperatures, and not alot of sunshine. I m guessing I won't get a lot this year due to the poor weather conditions and low temperatures, which are barely hitting 22c-23c. I am just interested what photoperiods other people are also growing outside, what their experiences are, and how much do they usually get, if any off their plants when the weather is poor like this. All I am hoping that at some point in August that we get more sunshine, as luckily the plant is only just beginning to flower, as I noticed 2 pistals starting to poke through. Also as the heat won't be in the upper 30's it will be good temperatures to dry my autos when it is time to harvest.

• Like 3

Fair play mate :yep:       You cant beat a bit of home grown sun kidded goodness   :wub:

Have look through the guys diaries in the Outddors / Grown under glass sections :yep:

In particular and not in any order i highly suggest looking at diaries from these guys.       If i dont shout you i mean no disrespect guys :thumsup:

@Revive   ,  @murphyblue  , @Crow River    ,  @Underdog@Idicanna jones     just a few of the regular lads spread around the UK. 

That should give you masterial for perusing sir ,  also go  back through previous years runs,  im sure you will find info and give an idea of whos local or semi local in your part of the world sir.

I also got a few plants going but this years a forced neglected grow due to medical issues.    But im growing :wub:

Keep the faith with yours , it will come good :yep:      You could end up out in October pruning the girls  , its all part of the gamble and the fun :thumsup:

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 4

I'm a complete novice to this and planted a photo (RQS free seed) by mistake in the greenhouse. I use an inverted "T" growing method for tomatoes and cucumbers (open ended container sat on a 20cm prepared bed of growing medium) and the photo and autos seem to be thriving with this growing set up. 

I'm really struggling to contain the photo to be honest and I'm cutting it down more times than the grass. I think this one plant will eventually take over the entire side of the greenhouse. I think the strain is Special Kush #1 but I'm not 100% sure. No signs of it going into flower yet (germinated on 20th May).

large.64ba4613a3173_cbd217231.jpg

• Like 8

@oldford @disco survivor Thanks for the response, mine isn't under glass, it just in a pot outdoors in my garden. so open to all the elements, I am just concerned that the weather has been pretty shit this year, and being my 1st photoperiod how it will affect it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco survivor said:

I'm a complete novice to this and planted a photo (RQS free seed) by mistake in the greenhouse. I use an inverted "T" growing method for tomatoes and cucumbers (open ended container sat on a 20cm prepared bed of growing medium) and the photo and autos seem to be thriving with this growing set up. 

I'm really struggling to contain the photo to be honest and I'm cutting it down more times than the grass. I think this one plant will eventually take over the entire side of the greenhouse. I think the strain is Special Kush #1 but I'm not 100% sure. No signs of it going into flower yet (germinated on 20th May).

large.64ba4613a3173_cbd217231.jpg

hi mate my advice would be tie her down as much as you possible while you still can,keep those tops low,when she goes into flower she will fill that green house as i found out with my first plant in green houselol

gallery_73715_11353_64136.jpg

gallery_73715_11353_37699.jpg

also you want lots of airflow once in flower to try and hold back the rot.best of luck mate

• Like 4

@Guggsy      Mate dont sweat it ,  its meant to be fun lol   :yep:

Look , mother nature & lady luck have a habit of kicking you in the nuts ...regularly !    

Just roll with it,  enjoy it , try learn as much as poss ,  if the big jazz hands fans get too big and appear to restrict airflow then take a few off always at the leaf end !  

Look at tieing branches down , any eyelet through the pot and tie down onto it , it will open the plant up and allo more airflow  ,  if  its gonna be bad  wet weather you can get the pot securely up on timbers / bricks as this will let water pass through quicker and the plants sits in drier medium. 

Better playing with her now that get into difficuly further down the road :yep:

Your prob on track for late September take down , prob in stages with the tops first  , leaving the lowers to cook longer but again all weatheer dependent sir.  

Even have a look back through some of my diaries sir as i grow in pots in the garden ,  feel free to shout for help or ask questions :yep:

Theres lots of old hands on here , all happy to jump in and help with good sound advice.    

Have fun sir.   :yep:

• Like 3

@stayup4ever holy shit that is massive. luckily mine is in a small pot 11 litre pot, so won't go massive like yours, must admit though looks cool. lucky you got a greenhouse.

@oldford  I use mine for medicinal purposes. each year i just grow enough to last me a year till next years grow. I'd rather do my own than buy from streets.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stayup4ever said:

hi mate my advice would be tie her down as much as you possible while you still can,keep those tops low,when she goes into flower she will fill that green house as i found out with my first plant in green houselol

gallery_73715_11353_64136.jpg

gallery_73715_11353_37699.jpg

also you want lots of airflow once in flower to try and hold back the rot.best of luck mate

Absolutely brilliant !! Made me laugh lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guggsy said:

@disco survivor I have just the 1 special Kush, also from RQS. I how are you dealing with ventilation growing under glass.

Had a little bit of bud rot on one auto but nothing major (up to now). I'm going to install window vents around the bottom of the greenhouse when this grow is over, ready for next year. 

• Like 2

@Guggsy    I hear you mate ,  cancer sufferer here and grow for meds for myself and fellow old gits :yep: 

CBD strains are another avenue well worth exploring ,  has some very beneficial properties for me and others ,  even just adding the cbd to other herb just for that bit extra.   

All the best with it.  

• Like 3

Hey @OldFord don't go bringing me into this!!!!! 

@Guggsy best thing to do is browse my diaries.... And do the exact opposite matey. On a serious note, as Mr ford said.... Don't stress yourself. Keep an eye on her for airflow as much as anything. Photo's in particular should buy you some time with the weather at least, and she should withstand the next couple of shitty weeks. I'm constantly checking my garden autos, but I leave the photos to themselves. Not ran the strain you've got there, but you won't need to look far on here to find some bullet proof strains for future garden endeavours. It's addictive though dude..... You have been warned. All the best for the rest of the grow, and welcome to the madhouse 

• Like 2

@idicanna jones My autos are doing fine sort of, buds are starting to fill out, this is my 5th year growing, but my 1st time ever growing a photoperiod, and 1st time I have experienced real shitty weather we are getting, since I have been growing over the 5 year period. I keep it simple, I don't use many different Nutes, just the base ones grow and bloom, I grow them in 11 litre pots  in soil out in the open in my garden, where they get the most sun(When it shines) my garden is south facing which is a bonus, on a good day they get direct sunlight from about 8am till about 7pm before my house casts a shadow over them as sun goes over. I'd love to grow in a green house, may be one day. I try different autos each year, this 3x white widow autos, 3x royal AK autos and my Photoperiod Special Kush. 

• Like 1

@oldford did you know you can get it legally if you have a medical condition. not sure if we are allowed to put the names of the places on here, but one of them just recently is advertising on TV, I've thought about, but the amount get through on a monthly basis it would cost me a fortune, hence another reason I grow my own. So these places where you can get it legally, you have an initial consultion with a medical person, which costs up to £200 they asses you then you get a card, and go through there menu and buy what you want. No one can say shit to you.

• Like 1