Oakapple

this is what PAR I go with: (LED) - on my lights, I get that PAR at each 25/50/75 & 100 % dimmer stage

250 seedling

500 veg

750 pre-flower

1000 flower

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

@Oakapple when you say about people having problems switching from hps to led, unhappy plants, fried leaves etc is down to a couple of things from my experience. 

First is underestimating the light intensity and basically overdoing it. I done this when I first switched and since speaking to Adam  at diyled and taking his advice of 20 Watts psf for veg and 40 Watts psf for flower didn't have any bother.

Second is temps, raising your temps helps because leds don't heat up the leaf surface the same as the hps does so you have to raise the temperature in the space to compensate for this.

Third is your nutrients, leds give off more usable light so the rate of photosynthesis will increase, which means your plants will need more nutrients to keep up. I thought it was just a cal/mag deficiency but was lacking all round.

• Like 3

@Hazeytones I’m trying to get my old brain around all this- 

What you say does make sense.

I’ve seen people take leaf temps and was initially puzzled. 

Temps seems to be even more important under LED

@cypo74 Mentioned VPD

All these acronyms WTH!

But once the basics are understood hopefully I can go ahead. 

HPS still have a place in winter from what people say - alongside LED

It’s “

A heater with light” as someone on here said.

:) 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm considering throwing up the old 600 over winter, but we'll see, the buds definitely better in my experience under the led so I'd rather not. It does cost a bit more in heating so there's pros and cons to everything but in general I prefer the leds.

• Like 1

I thought i'd show you how my big tent looks int he dark lol

That's just one side, I do cover it with a old duvet cover tho it still shines thru that.

large.20230815_044519.jpg

On 13/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, Hazeytones said:

Yeah I'm considering throwing up the old 600 over winter, but we'll see, the buds definitely better in my experience under the led so I'd rather not. It does cost a bit more in heating so there's pros and cons to everything but in general I prefer the leds.

You could run a 150w or 250w HPS alongside the LED and have more radiant heat, and use the heater for fewer hours. 

My latest hermaphrodite was a freebie seed, can't remember now but I put it outside after four weeks of 12/12 and there aren't any seed developing yet. It's outside two weeks. It's to be expected and sometimes more so with certain strains. Some more rogue-ish outdoor strains, landraces, will act kind of queer grown under lights,and won't outdoors, usually ,or many strains perform better under lights.