Extractor for 1 x 1 meter on LED?

snotbottom

On 08/07/2023 at 10:23 PM, Amnesia said:

iHi and welcome @snotbottom My space is around 1 meter squared and use 2 5" ruck fans which run on variacs to control speed of both. Not silent by any means but can only hear faintly if outside the growroom. i'd not sleep in the same room put it that way but as my growspace is elsewhere its no worries. As @Grow lady says you will be hard pushed to find a silent room/fans although there are many options nowadays. There is also the "whoosh" of air at the intake and outlet to consider. Why does it need to be very silent @snotbottom?

Just to add i cannot actually hear anything outside my growroom door as it's wooden, fans should not hum or anything with the proper controller, the noise i actually hear is the whooshng sound of the intake and outake, also the circulatory fan.

All the best whatever you decide. :yep:

It just so happens I have a 5'' ruck fan, I tried a fan speed controller , cheap one, and it hummed like a wasps nest, do variacs make the fan hum when turned down low?

13 hours ago, snotbottom said:

It just so happens I have a 5'' ruck fan, I tried a fan speed controller , cheap one, and it hummed like a wasps nest, do variacs make the fan hum when turned down low?

No hum whatsoever from variacs

Would an SMSCom controller hum? I am reading different reports on them but then again there are a few different models, is fan buzz model specific on SMS controllers?

It depends which sms controller you have. The cheap ones are shit and buzz but the hybrids don't buzz at all, I think I paid 300quid for mine. I wish I'd not bothered and bought some ec fans now but hindsight is a bitch.

Yes Ec fans don't buzz, they work in a totally different way to Ac fans. Don't ask me the technical bit though lol Ec fans cost a good bit more (if you buy good ones) but the controllers are cheap, the Ec fan also uses much less electricity.

The hybrid sms controllers say they do use less electric with an Ac fans when turned down due to the way it works but I can't confirm this as I have no way of measuring my fan outputs.