Can seedlings last one week without water?

childofmelee

I plan to germinate in my grow are in small pots but I can only visit once a week to water the seedlings.  My question is - Can seedlings survive 7 days without getting watered in their first few weeks after germination?

Edited by childofmelee

It will very likely be better to germinate them on a windowsill or similar where you can keep an eye on them day to day :yep:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Little footnote to this guide. Good quality peat pots are important, a lot of the cheaper ones are made from cardboard and they're no where near as good, really restrict root growth. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Can you not sit the pots in water?

It depends upon weather, they cannot withstand v hot sun as seedlings neglected.

Plant the pots into the ground. Water the surrounding well and the pot as normal. 

That will stop them drying out so quickly.

Water retaining crystals is an option under the planted pot too.

Small pots dry out quickly. Consider larger pots !! 

Or as the lads say. Babysit them on a window for a couple weeks until they can go in the ground.

19 hours ago, Shumroom said:

It will very likely be better to germinate them on a windowsill or similar where you can keep an eye on them day to day :yep:

Atb 

Very true, but that unfortunately is not an option.

13 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Somewhere round ere there's pics of a self watering "set and forget" propagator...

@Amarillo slim was it you with the thing?

Amarillo slim came up with the germination storage container idea which I'll be using, I'll try look for the self watering "set and forget" propagator.  Thanks

12 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Little footnote to this guide. Good quality peat pots are important, a lot of the cheaper ones are made from cardboard and they're no where near as good, really restrict root growth. 

I'll hunt around for some quality peat pots, Thanks.

8 hours ago, kittythemonkey said:

Can you not sit the pots in water?

It depends upon weather, they cannot withstand v hot sun as seedlings neglected.

I can but the seedlings will get starved of oxygen if the soil is permanently water logged (I assume?) 

4 hours ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Plant the pots into the ground. Water the surrounding well and the pot as normal. 

That will stop them drying out so quickly.

Water retaining crystals is an option under the planted pot too.

Small pots dry out quickly. Consider larger pots !! 

Or as the lads say. Babysit them on a window for a couple weeks until they can go in the ground.

Okay you got me thinking now, maybe I germinate directly in the ground in seedling starter soil, give the seedlings a bit of cover with some fly/insect netting, water the surrounding area and dig in some water crystals.  

Thanks for the help

Just now, Clubs said:

Self-Watering tray with capillary mat. Most can hold at least 2 litres.

I think you're on to it, I'm looking at one online now.  I think this is the answer.  Thanks mate!!

• Like 1

Just now, childofmelee said:

I think you're on to it, I'm looking at one online now.  I think this is the answer.  Thanks mate!!

No worries.  If you're concerned about the constant moisture, which shouldn't be an issue, aerate your starter medium with some buckwheat or rice hulls and use a thin fabric pot or nursery net pot. 

1 hour ago, Clubs said:

No worries.  If you're concerned about the constant moisture, which shouldn't be an issue, aerate your starter medium with some buckwheat or rice hulls and use a thin fabric pot or nursery net pot. 

Thanks for the advice, the constant moisture might not be a problem but I'll use buckwheat anyway for peace of mind.

• Like 1