Can't vent out window or into loft as in rental accommodation

Hydro smoker uk

11 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah mate, I bet half the rental properties in the country have a circle of plasterboard being held up by 2 bits of batton somewhere lol

I did exactly this, cut a 6inch hole and used layers of cardboard and polyfilla to plug it when i left, was fine.

@Hydro smoker uk

I run a 6inch to rectangle ducting converter, 6 inch so it's a peice of white plastic sticking out the eaves, much less obvious than black and silver ducting

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MindSoup said:

keep the piece you cut

A smoke alarm mounted on a bit of Eva foam plugs a vent hole quickly if you have to pack down quickly and at short notice (a bit of old bodyboard works well I found)

:yinyang:

• Like 3

I've been growing in rented gaffs for years, and always just cut a hole in the ceiling with a pad saw, keep the disc you cut out so it can easily be repaired whenever you move out, no-one has ever said anything to me....and as for inspections, I just set up a canvas wardrobe underneath the hole, then pile boxes, blankets, pillows...etc, on top so the hole is covered (I'm too lazy to keep repairing the hole every time I get an inspection lol).

• Like 4

Mind out with the old houses, I don't know what mine is, it looks like wattle and daub or something, it's certainly not plasterboard anyway. Made a right mess lol

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

Mind out with the old houses, I don't know what mine is, it looks like wattle and daub or something, it's certainly not plasterboard anyway. Made a right mess lol

Sounds like lath and plaster, bit messier of a job but still easy enough to repair 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cypher79 said:

keep the disc you cut out so it can easily be repaired whenever you move out

That's always been my intention but I've never actually got round to doing it because I have so much else to worry about while moving house. No landlord has ever noticed. They don't tend to go looking for random holes in obscure places and even if they do notice them they probably can't be sure if they were there before you moved in.

theres a few things that you could do for stealth

this 1st one might not be doable, as it involves cutting through a uPVC panel at the bottom of a window - theres a proper vent cover on the outside large.25DE030A-35C6-4D50-A3C2-1CC01A985CF4_1_201_a.jpeg

the next one is done to the trickle vents at the top of most windows. the vent gubbins have been taken off to increase the hole size

& reducers; flat AC channel adapters to fit up to the vent available on the 'zon. not great for loads of airflow tho'large.5C760C5A-4B70-4578-91F2-F621D954FC76_1_201_a.jpeg

then lastly ive taken off a non-working kitchen extraction fan here, & plumbed(?) the dry tent extraction to it. rudimentary seal with bits of cardboard, and foam sheet wrapped round the pipe

large.154C79A0-A194-4ADF-AB17-35F94877106F.jpeg

mystic

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DutchFox said:

i have seen broken outside ac fan units put on a wall outside.....

and there is just a hose to outside....behind it...

ppl expect noice and warmair from such a unit....  :) 

can buy them cheap for scrap price :) ,,,,

That's a solid idea,tho if he will use a single led even if it's 600w he won't need more then 400m3 fan, with a fan controller it will be quiet as f?

As for outlet you will need to drill to attic,or if you can't drill remove glass above the room doors,place 10-20cm Styrofoam where glass was (fat on is better as its more solid to place)drill 15cm hole in it and place the ducting that you will guide to room next to growroom if that's possible?  You can do that on the other room as well so it's set up in air instead of having ducting on floor

Styrofoam is better and cheaper the Yoga mats to put under BTW,tho if you do make sure it's glued or cemented so it sticks together,it's a good idea to cover it with something after.

Edited by Herbal Kint

5 hours ago, mysticriver said:

large.5C760C5A-4B70-4578-91F2-F621D954FC76_1_201_a.jpeg

I use this kind of adapter but from i-sells

lots more convertors and brackets and grilles to choose from

• Like 1

A cheap option is to hang a wicker blind in front of the window. The air passes through effortlessly and all that can be seen from outside is, well..... a room with a blind.

behind this there is an open window....

and no...you dont see anything from outsite...  :)

Edited by lildaveham
Removed offsite hosted pic
  • Like 1

more inspiration... :)

Edited by lildaveham
Removed offsite hosted and watermarked pic

10 hours ago, DutchFox said:

more inspiration... :)

what do ya do - attach a panel in the opening & fit extraction pipe to it?

the one above - is the window an above-ground window & is it obscured glass, or is the other side of the plywood disguised in any way? good stuff

mystic

Edited by lildaveham
Removed quoted offsite hosted pic

why does it say post hidden & have to approved by a moderator? never seen that before (post above)

mystic

15 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

why does it say post hidden & have to approved by a moderator? never seen that before (post above)

mystic

Because @DutchFox despite being asked multiple times not to upload offsite hosted or watermarked pics advertising another forum. Nothing you did. 

:yinyang:

• Like 2