are thease Fungus gnats

smallbuds

Checking the traps this morning, after about 12 hours hanging in the tent, I see 4 adults. So hopefully I'm getting to them nice and early :D 

These just arrived, and the sand arrives later. Shall I water the nematodes in now, during lights off? Give them a few hours then add the sand layer later this evening when the lights are on?

Thanks for any and all advice :)  

large_Bugs.jpg

• Like 2

I think TanLin (formerly NilNat) is a chitin based solution, sold as a micro fertilizer for labelling.
Clogs up the translocation needed for exoskeleton development.

i think tanLin (formaly NilNat) is chitin based solution, so the translocation needed for exoskeleton developmentld as a microfertilizer for labeling,  it clogs up

i think cx tanLin (formaly NilNat) is chitin based solution, so the translocation needed for exoskeleton developmentld as a microfertilizer for labeling,  it clogs up

On 22/06/2023 at 11:44 PM, smallbuds said:

Are these Fungus gnats? found in tent today iv put down yellow sticky paper and got some Cx TanLin drops and treated soil

am I right in think they Fungus gnats?

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them they do fly and seem more interested in soil. im in a 4x4 tent with a 4 auto pots  plans are autos and just under two weeks old

•  

large.6494cd8e12027_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14.21(2).jpeglarge.6494cd88525d7_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14.21(1).jpeglarge.6494cd7dde928_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14_21.jpeg

•  
  •  

i think tanLin (formaly NilNat) is chitin based solution, so the translocation needed for exoskeleton developmentld as a microfertilizer for labeling,  it clogs up

• 1 month later...

Sticky traps are incredibly effective at controlling numbers but the trick is to make sure the sticky part makes contact with the surface. I've used plastic stakes which hold the trap about 10mm above the surface and caught an abysmal number even with a pretty bad outbreak, switched to the type with a built in stake and pushed them right down so the sticky is just below the surface and caught hundreds in the first 24 hours. I've heard great things about laying them flat on the surface as well but it's not really an option for me as it would interfere with my drippers.

That said, while i control them enough that they arent a problem, I've never got fully on top of them. I've given up with nematodes and tanlin as it doesn't seem to make much a difference to using sticky traps alone. Will be trying some of the other methods in this thread to see if I can rid them for good

• Like 1

Tanlin & sticky traps as part of an IPM routine really helps to keep ontop of anything breaking out cos they do get in via the medium. Tanlin is handy against Root Aphids and Thrips too, but won't deal with those problem on its own. In the past when I've had to crack a gnat infestation, I have doubled the dose of tanlin which has usually done the job but that can be tricky if it has got to a point the roots have been battered and you can't water regularly. A Pyrethrum 5EC root drench at 2ml/l, followed by a watering with Tanlin a short while after will really knock the smoke out of an infestation, too.

• Like 2