are thease Fungus gnats

smallbuds

Are these Fungus gnats? found in tent today iv put down yellow sticky paper and got some Cx TanLin drops and treated soil

am I right in think they Fungus gnats?

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them they do fly and seem more interested in soil. im in a 4x4 tent with a 4 auto pots  plans are autos and just under two weeks old

•  

large.6494cd8e12027_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14.21(2).jpeglarge.6494cd88525d7_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14.21(1).jpeglarge.6494cd7dde928_WhatsAppImage2023-06-22at23_14_21.jpeg

•  
  •  

They look like Fungus Gnats I think they have longer legs and smaller heads than Shore Fly

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Looks like fungus gnats...

Best treatment I've found is Hypoaspis Miles (predatory mites) that are added to the compost/coco where they then eat all the gnat larvae. You can soak the pots with H2o2 to kill the larvae but there will still be adults flying around that could lay more eggs later - after the H2o2 is gone.

• Like 1

They're fungus gnats all right. I used nematodes but it didn't completely eradicate them but had success with a combination of Tanlin drops, yellow sticky traps and an inch-thick layer of horticultural sharp sand. Gnats were gone for good. They likely came free with a bag of soil so if you've still got the bag with some soil left over, get rid of it. I hate those little fuckers. 

• Like 2

I also tend to suffer with fungus gnats, they can be a real pain in the ass to get rid of but i use a combination of mosquito bits and the Tanlin but had a few adults flying in there which i squashed but may look into adding something else as well.

• Like 1

thanks Guys iv used Tanlin  by top  watering   and added to res as im using auto pots iv put down yellow sticky cards   and orded some of the small one to stick in pots    and was going to top water again with tanlin in two weeks.  im all so vacuuming the adults out when i can

would covering soil on top of pots with weed barrier you use in garden help ?

iv got a pile of builders sand in garden but worried that bay bring something in

Iv never had any probs with was growing in a 2x4 wardrobe  upgraded to a 4x4 ac infinity tent same room and bingo Im infested FFS im wondering if its the heat as i read they can hatch below 25c and its dam hot now and cant get grow below 26c

Edited by smallbuds

With soil a couple of wet dry cycles stopped them dead for me with the aid of sticky pads to deal with the adults.

I had them on my first ever grow, they tried to make a come back on the second grow(same bag of soil) then I started doing the wet dry with sticky pads and never see them again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Military Grade said:

With soil a couple of wet dry cycles stopped them dead for me with the aid of sticky pads to deal with the adults.

I had them on my first ever grow, they tried to make a come back on the second grow(same bag of soil) then I started doing the wet dry with sticky pads and never see them again.

This 100% 

Fungus gnats only really rear their head when the soil stays too wet for too long. Predators, nematodes, pesticides will all help stave them off, but if you don't address the cause of the issue they'll just keep coming back. 

• Like 3

Fucking gnats! 

I've found them and some bastard root aphids in my grow now. 

I have a feeling I might have brought them in from a mates whom I was helping to eradicate his infestation! 

Arghhhh! 

I'm currently hitting them with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, the active ingredient in mosquito bits as @ratdog and @mystic_roots mentioned in combination with Beauvaria Bassiana and Metarhyzum to get the fliers along with shit loads of yellow sticky traps on the sides of the pot and around the stems. 

I'm convinced that they came in the soil but it makes me ponder a few things. 

How do they get in there in the first place? During the manufacturing and bagging or do they get inside through the tiny breather holes punched into the bags? 

Can they breed indefinitely inside a closed bag? 

They are not fun to deal with I must say. 

Nematodes and loads of sticktraps all over the top of the pots are a good way to get them under control - it does take a few weeks but number of flies will get less and less as time goes on and get you to the end of the grow when you bin all the compost and start fresh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

root aphids

These are more of a problem than gnats and will destroy a grow if badly infected.

33 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

they get inside through the tiny breather holes punched into the bags

This.

It's caused by the suppliers storing them badly I think. If you get a bag with gnats don't buy from the same place again.

19 minutes ago, highgrower said:

These are more of a problem than gnats and will destroy a grow if badly infected.

Define badly...... lol

This is that crawled out the bottom and tops of their fabric pots after applying the Bti to kill off the fungus gnat larva.

In all my years I have never seen anything like it. 

Made my skin crawl. 

large.IMG_20230618_212625_compress18.jpg

large.IMG_20230624_142520_compress69.jpg