Seed storage - Germination issues

Bobcharlieeeee

I have a selection of Mephisto auto seeds that i have been using and trying to get through, and im getting really poor germination rates. no matter what method i try. im starting to think there is something else im doing wrong.

Iv tried alot of methods, and id like to think im not a complete idiot. my first few grows i was getting good results, probably 8/10 seeds would germinate. however recently it has only been about 50% or LESS.

My results are not consistent however, i had a 5 pack of CDLC and NONE of them germinated, however all 5 of a freebie i had all germinated in less than a day. same exact condiations at the same time. this has been the same over a couple of grows. Just really inconsitent.  

I used the dvd method which mephisto recomends, which is just putting seeds in wet paper towels inside a dvd case i nthe top of the tent / warm area. iv even used a heat mat set to 26c and that hasnt helped much. Tried the boiler cupboard and same.

Some seeds germinate, for me to then put them in the pots and for them to never apear again!

Iv also tried soaking the seeds in water before i put them into wet paper towels, but similar results.

Iv tried just popping seeds straight into soil which worked pretty well, however i switched to coco, i tried putting seeds directly in damp coco and that wasnt that sucseful either.

I keep the seeds in a draw in a bedroom, should i be keeping these in the fridge?

Its getting really frustrating now

Keep in the fridge, or freezer if you don't think you'll use them in a year or two. Some people claim to send really fresh seeds. If that's the case and they go in the packet fresh, the moisture level will shorten their storage life. All seeds should be dried to, iirc 14-18% before sealing up. 

I give the coco a half strength solution and and squeeze it. I put the coco in a wet coir pot or small netpot. Firm it down slightly and level it. Poke a half to one inch deep hole and drop your seed in. Collapse the hole and tap it down slightly. The coco is wrung out, so compressing the media won't flood and drown the seeds. 3 or 4 days to show usually. Autos are quite happy going from coir pot to 1L netpot to final. About two weeks in each of the first two pots.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, is it worth putting them in the fridge now or just leave them be if they are already damaged?

Iv contacted them in the past, becasue im 99% confident that im not the issue here. Damp, dark, warmth, air. cant be THAT hard to screw up. Especially this time of year.

all i get from mephisto is "all of our seeds acheive 90% germ rates before they are sent out". the fact they send out 2 spare seeds on a 3 seed order, and provide loads of free seeds tells me i think they know they have poor germ rates.

i dont mind 2 out of 3 not germin, but 5 out of 5 stings abit. they wont replace seeds atall

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

I  started my working life looking at crop seeds everyday doing QC. if they don't know to dry the seeds before sending them out then you get what you are experiencing. Case in point: Mandala says they send their seeds out fresh. Get seeds directly from them and germing is 100%. I bought some of their seeds from a seedbank and zero germed... they died in storage because they were too wet. That's my assessment.  this is not intended to be a slight on them. The quality of their stuff is good. If they do it, I'm sure most other growers do as well.

Edited by catweazle1
42 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Thanks mate, is it worth putting them in the fridge now or just leave them be if they are already damaged?

What have you got to lose ? I store all my seeds in a box in my fridge. Last run I've had 3 out of 3 almost two years old seeds which have sprouted, and they weren't from a top quality breeder.

• Like 3

How they are stored makes a big difference a couple years kicking about in a drawer in the house has resulted in fucked seeds for me others i have that have been fridged for 10 years pop first time

• Like 3
Just now, McHazy said:

fridged for 10 years pop first time

Beat me to it...some of mine are probably that old, stored in a tupperware box in the salad tray at the bottom of the fridge...

Virtually all germ however long they've been in there, never knew about 'seed drying' before storage...handy info...

How's things going up there bud? Warm enough for ya?

atb

:oldtoker:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Beat me to it...some of mine are probably that old, stored in a tupperware box in the salad tray at the bottom of the fridge...

Virtually all germ however long they've been in there, never knew about 'seed drying' before storage...handy info...

How's things going up there bud? Warm enough for ya?

atb

:oldtoker:

Shallow dish for a month, single layer.

• Like 1

My missus was talking about hydrogen peroxide 3% one day as she bought a bottle for some cosmetic thing, I forget. But that same day I get suggested a link on YT. Fuckers must be listening in again
Nevertheless I'm thinking of trying the method myself.

I've got some Primotalii chilli seeds that are over 7 years old. The germination rate is extremely low using conventional germination techniques (10% if I'm lucky). I now use a technique that will get me 60 - 70% success rate and may work for your seeds:

I place the seeds in wet cotton wool balls (try not to flatten the cotton wool). The wetting solution is 5% Hydrogen Peroxide. The cotton wool balls then go into a re-seal sandwich bag with some air trapped within the bag. This bag is then placed into a heated propagator (you could also use a heat mat.

18 hours ago, disco survivor said:

wet cotton wool balls

thats an interesting one - using the cotton balls & h202 instead of wet paper towels

mystic

• Like 1