Growing in a trough?

Moonstone420

Hello all.

Is there any specific reason, or problems that could potentially occur from growing in a longer, lower trough as opposed to a deeper, shorter plant pot?

I decided to give it a go as I am struggling to reach individual pots in my tent and could also do with a bit of extra height, but just wanted to know if anyone has any information on this, or if anyone has done the same and has any experience 

The pot size\root space is exactly the same, and I water 2 to 4 times a day (in coco) if that makes any difference. Just a longer, shallower trough with 2 plants in one trough, as opposed to 1 plant in one pot.

Thanks for the help :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

2 plants in one trough,

Providing they're both the same strain you'll be fine bud...:yep:

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed with growing 2 or more plants in one container is the tendency for one plant to grow bigger than the other(s), it doesn't happen every time but sometimes one plant must root a lot better and end up dominating the space. I wouldn't say don't do it, but be mindful of it, 2  clones would be perfect, or 2 seeds from a nice homogeneous strain.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MindSoup said:

clones would be perfect,

You'd think so but my current grow is all single strain clones and they've come out all different sizes...

something to do with where on the mother plant they were taken from.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stu914 said:

single strain clones and they've come out all different sizes...

yes thats happening to me right now, last night I thought it might be more light at that area, then I thought it seemed to be better near the fans?? 

go figure

interesting what you say about where on the mother plant they were taken, & I thought maybe some just have a head-start with rooting, & develop slightly better than the rest?

mystic

• Like 1

Oldtimer1 had a lot to say about clone uniformity in his cloning guide, he equalised the roots at two stages to keep them as identical as possible.

Lets look at what we need from a rooted cutting... We want one that is suited to growing in a confined space i.e. a pot. They are as closely matched as possible. To get good yields from a grow, uniformity is the rule. It is no good having one plant that produces 50 grams when its 2 neighbours only produce 15 grams each. They are identical stock but this is what is often seen in grow after grow. It is much better to try and get all the plants averaging 35 grams well within the capacity of the stock line of a plant that can make 50 grams.

Remember we are talking about growing in soil based or soilless compost mixes. The root type that the cutting produces is very important, lots of fine feeder roots are the ideal, anchor and tap roots are totally unwanted when growing in a pot. Remember the amount feeder root mass directly effects the potential crop weight

The 3.5-inch pots are 4 inches high; the rooting mix is very open with low nutrient content. This encourages early taproot development. Not all the cuttings will have rooted at the same time, so when they are transferred to the plug trays the root balls are trimmed to the same size and the tap root is removed, this goes a long way towards equalising the clones. Once they are transferred as below they tend to stay pretty even and grow on rapidly. To show what we are looking for some equalised clones grown on and just put into flower. There are several varieties in this grow and there is not more than an inch or so between plants in each variety. They are placed by variety to make a stadium effect and make maximum use of light.

Around ten days later the cuttings will have rooted through. The rootball is gently broken up, each cutting has its roots trimmed back to equalise the cuttings and make them fit the plug tray! Full strength peat or coir compost using organic base fertilisers, are used for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latigid aikon said:

Oldtimer1 had a lot to say about clone uniformity in his cloning guide, he equalised the roots at two stages to keep them as identical as possible.

This!!! Uniformity is so important when taking cuts. Alot of the root trimming etc can be avoided these days by having the forethought to use propagation material that air prune the roots. Its also worth remembering that the common scalpels we use for taking cuts come with a ruler on it, so there is no excuse not to make sure all your cuts are the same size. 

Trimming leaves and making sure you're going through a node is total rubbish also and only serves to make your plants less uniform and root slower.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

so there is no excuse not to make sure all your cuts are the same size. 

Mine were exactly the same and treated the same...the only difference between them is which part of the plant they were taken from.

Some were growing tops taken from lower branches, others partway along the stem from higher branches.

Can't see how it could be anything else.

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Some were growing tops taken from lower branches, others partway along the stem from higher branches.

Can't see how it could be anything else.

There is something to be said for that, I've noticed the same, ones taken from the tops always tend to be the best. Side and bottom shoots tend to be thinner less sturdy plants with less growth potential.

Light not being as uniform as it could be can be a big factor in different growth rates between cuts though. You'd be surprised the difference in growth between say 400 ppfd and 600 ppfd.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Light not being as uniform as it could be can be a big factor in different growth rates between cuts though.

I've got the scope 550w which covers the area fairly evenly and a couple of the largest plants are at the edges.

The irony is the plant right bang in the middle with the highest ppdf was one of the three that bit the dust...:wallbash:

large.SSCN2175.JPGlarge.SSCN2173.JPG

You couldn't make it up...:rofl:

38 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

Would you root clones under that much light? 

These figures are for vegging established plants bud...:yep:

Edited by stu914
add pics

3 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

I pay little attention to ppf tbh, but that sounds like a big number.  Would you root clones under that much light?  Never tried under anything but low levels.

You can, but it requires some monumental fucking about like stacking the pwEC really high, low-ish temps and super high humidity to limit transpiration. IMO < 200 PPFD is perfect for rooting clones and starting seeds with no additional cocking about.

You ought to know and be employing PPF and PPFD numbers into your grow, I'm a bit disappointed you aren't. Its all connected, and you can really dial things in when you understanding PPFD and how it changes your plants relationship with their environment which will ultimate change how you control your environment - so youre working with your plant rather than working against it.

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

The irony is the plant right bang in the middle with the highest ppdf was one of the three that bit the dust...:wallbash:

Thats could be why - if you're out of the 2:1 ratio of co2 (unsupplemented) and that middle bit goes over 800ppfd it can cause stunting, as your plant packs up photosynthesizing sooner than those surrounding it. Seems mad, but those getting a balanced light:co2 ratio will grow quicker overall because they photosynthesize for longer, even though they're technically getting less light. This situation is compounded further as the plants getting the right balance soon outgrow and swamp the others.

• Like 2

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

@GSZZ I'm a lucky grower, not a clever one.  Me and numbers aren't pals.

I know its not luck mate we've had enough conversations and I've read enough of your posts to know you know what you're doing. Not being good with numbers isn't going to wash with me either dude  as I never even passed my maths GCSE, don't put yourself down so readily, you're one of the better growers here. If I can get my head round it, I know you can.

Edited by GSZZ

17 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Thats could be why - if you're out of the 2:1 ratio of co2 (unsupplemented) and that middle bit goes over 800ppfd it can cause stunting,

Measured around 650-700 on the meter, the other two that never came to anything were at opposite corners with even less ppfd...

Be interesting to see what happens on my next clone run where they will all be growing tips.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Trimming leaves and making sure you're going through a node is total rubbish

so you dont have to go through a node then when taking a cut? 

mystic

• Like 1

@mysticriver

Never cut through a node...Best place is just below...

You can take cuttings from branches where there are no nodes.

Just take the cutting in your usual way and scrape a little of the surface area off the stem, this is where the roots will form.

When it comes to trimming leaves I always do, the plant has no need of them until roots are formed.

There has to be a balance between roots and leaves, I'd rather have less of an imbalance to begin with.

Opinion is sharply divided on this one so it's what works for you.

• Like 2