DrumBoy420

Hey guys,

So I'm new to growing and I think I'm stuck. I've got a grow tent inside a garden shed with a 600w HPS light ( I know - bad for summer. But sadly being a newbie, I had no idea). Temperatures are really high in the tent and I just can't get them down.

I've got seedlings (autoflowers) and they are stretching, a lot. I've got the light on 250w (has three settings - 250, 400 and 600w) and about 14 inches away from the plants and doesn't seem to be much happening in terms of growth. Two of the longer ones keep falling over as well. Don't know if you need to know this but I'm growing in Biobizz soil (mix of all mix and light mix)

Temperatures are getting up to 35c in the tent and I can't keep the humidity up (about 30-40% in there). I'm hanging wet towels in there, I've got multiple bowls of water in the tent and a little USB humidifier and nothing is happening unless I spray and that only increases it for about 5 -10 minutes. 

I know this is a very hot week (England) but I'm not sure if I can save these plants or not..

I've got this arriving on Thursday - 12 L tank evaporator.
Which is an evaporative air cooler for the grow room. Apparently lowers temp and adds humidity. Not sure if anyone uses these? Or if they work? 

Any help or advice would be great. Not sure if I should just get some more seeds and start again when I get the cooler, providing I can keep the temperatures stable in the tent. 

This is my second attempt at growing - First time the seeds didn't even break the surface. I've tried to do as much research as I can and I'm just left confused and wondering If I've made a mistake by trying to do this.

Thanks 

Edited by lildaveham
Remove offsite link

Def not a mistake to start growing. It’s v v hot at the moment, and some don’t grow thru this.
is the shed insulated at all, or ventilated?

Just now, Dreamer420 said:

Def not a mistake to start growing. It’s v v hot at the moment, and some don’t grow thru this.
is the shed insulated at all, or ventilated?

The shed is a wooden shed, its got a big window (which is always open) and no insulation really apart from some of the walls have polystyrene in them, which in fairness probably doesn't do anything! Also - my carbon filter is blowing air directly outside through a hole in the shed. I have two isolating fans in the tent too 

Edited by DrumBoy420

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

Lights off at peak sun?  I'd spend £50 on a humidifier, it'll bring temps down a bit and keep rh high.

Led is the only way I'd grow in summer.  I haven't even got extraction running in my tent so it stays at 30c.

yeah lights are off between 12pm - 6pm now (18 on - 6 off). I've got that AC thing coming, which should help. I may need a humidifier too. Any recommendations? I've seen a lot of people talk about getting that and an ink-bird controller for the humidity.

Just not sure if I should keep on trying to grow with the HPS and just try and get the temperature down and humidity up or buy a different light..But I don't really want to spend anymore money on it!

Edited by DrumBoy420

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

It depends how much you like weed and what your circumstances are.

For a lot of people on here weed is daily life.  And a main hobby.  I can fully justify spending as much as I want on my hobby, passion and medicine.

If you smoke daily any investment you make will be paid back and more, so long as you can listen and are patient.

If you start a diary and knock about this place for a bit you'll be growing better dope than you can buy in the future.

Yeah thats true. I'm happy to spend a little bit more to get the ideal set up as it will eventually pay off cause as an everyday smoker, street weed is hella expensive. This is the main reason I wanted to grow myself, to save money and to improve what I smoke! Which is probably the same for a lot of people on here I'm guessing!

So yeah, I like weed a lot. Just haven't got a lot of money to spend =( Think the grow tent and stuff was around £200, spent around £60 on seeds so far, £80 on an AC unit, £40 ish on soil and nutes, £40-50 on extra stuff. So its adding up

Word of warning with a humidifier.. if you live in a hard water area you cant use tap water as the calcium will block your carbon filter and you'll end up with water literally running down the walls of the tent. Your only option to avoid that would be RO water (unless someone knows otherwise).

Dont get too hung up on RH at the moment. Just concentrate on getting the temps down to the mid/high 20s. An AC unit will bring the temps down nicely for you and as the plants grow a bit bigger, the RH will naturally rise. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

You don't need RO water for them either,

We were typing at the same time. lol 

All depends on water hardness. I live in a really hard water area and within 12 hours of turning a humidifier on, my filter is blocked and walls dripping. 

I'm based in the East of England, so I think our water is fairly hard. I havent noticed anything yet but then again my RH is very low and my humidifier at the moment is a tiny little usb one 

@Fatboy77

It was fairly cheap so I'm not surprised really!

Very nice set up my friend, they all look very happy and healthy! How big is that tent?

Edited by Owderb
Please use the @function a bit more and less of the quoting. Thanks

The evap cooler would help, but it's fixing a problem you could just remove entirely by spending a bit more. As Fatboy said what you really need is an LED light (make sure you ask for advice on here before buying one, a lot of the lower priced ones are useless).

If it's too much all at once maybe try and get one on Klarna or PayPal credit so you can spread the cost. Alternatively you could just get a small one to start with and only grow in a part of the tent, then invest in some more lights later down the line. You want about 35-40 watts for each square foot. 

Edited by MindSoup

16 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

The evap cooler would help, but it's fixing a problem you could just remove entirely by spending a bit more. As Fatboy said what you really need is an LED light (make sure you ask for advice on here before buying one, a lot of the lower priced ones are useless).

If it's too much all at once maybe try and get on on Klarna or PayPal credit so you can spread the cost. Alternatively you could just get a small one to start with and only grow in a part of the tent, then invest in some more lights later down the line. 

yeah makes sense. But even with the light off the temps are still very high. So I think I'd still need the evap cooler regardless at the moment. 

I have thought about changing over to LEDs but have seen some of the prices. If you have any recommendations on an affordable, decent & dimmable LED, let me know :)

I've got a BAY 6 tent by the way so - 1.2m x 1.2m x 2.0m

Link to my tent and stuff for reference - 

Edited by Owderb
Link removed

Yeah TBF, if it's going to be like last summer even an LED might be too much in a shed. They're a lot more of an initial outlay but they pay for themselves in energy savings and people tend to agree the quality is better.

1 hour ago, Fatboy77 said:

Do the mods a favour....  you can trim down your quotes or tag  @DrumBoy420

1.5x1.5m tent.  I also use that humidifier for a 1.5x3m and it does the job.

I don't know how to do that..I did try and edit it but couldn't see an option for it..

Edited by lildaveham
Remove link

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah TBF, if it's going to be like last summer even an LED might be too much in a shed. They're a lot more of an initial outlay but they pay for themselves in energy savings and people tend to agree the quality is better.

Hmm a summer grow might not be the one then :(
Unless I start one outside and see what happens 

Put an @ symbol up and then start typing that persons name. 

Also fyi they don't like you putting links from non sponsor sites (other than YT and a few other places). So just copy and paste the listing title instead.