Help! Voles destroying all my plant outs!

Hole in the clouds

I’ve lost 20+ plants now to voles. They either dig into the cages or just fit straight through the mesh even if it’s doubled over. I grew on this plot last year and I did see them but they didn’t cause me any problems.

large.IMG_9777.jpeglarge.IMG_9776.jpeglarge.IMG_9775.jpeg

This was a new plant out and within ten mins I returned and caught this one already inside the cage. It had buried inside I could see the tunnel but when I put my hand in it just escaped straight through the doubled over mesh no problem. 

large.IMG_9778.jpeg

• Like 5

Throw out some poison grains,and wire wool or shavings from a steel lathe around the plants. 

• Like 5

The one shown in your pic is apodemus sylvaticus the wood mouse, the one shown in my pic is far worse for ring barking cannabis plants, it's a short tailed field vole. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Ch@ppers said:

The one shown in your pic is apodemus sylvaticus the wood mouse, the one shown in my pic is far worse for ring barking cannabis plants, it's a short tailed field vole. 

Ah ok i did think it was a mouse initially but when I looked at photos the ears looked too small. I don’t generally have a problem killing things but it was very cute. If it was my garden I’d maybe poison them to stop them becoming a nuisance but it’s outdoors and it’s me invading its territory not the other way round. 
Will they cause problems once the plants are bigger? 

• Like 2

Cute wee beggars, aren't they? So small they can easily get through the chicken wire.  Industrial cling film around the foot of each cage might stop them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

Will they cause problems once the plants are bigger? 

Nothing is worse than walking up to a plot and seeing the odd plant dyi g because of vole attack, seen them kill a 10 foot plant a few weeks from cropping, in veg you don't take it as personal as when it's budding and almost at the finish line. large.user406701_pic1495187_1442000928.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ch@ppers said:

Nothing is worse than walking up to a plot and seeing the odd plant dyi g because of vole attack, seen them kill a 10 foot plant a few weeks from cropping, in veg you don't take it as personal as when it's budding and almost at the finish line. large.user406701_pic1495187_1442000928.jpg

Oh Jesus Christ! The little fuckers! 

• Like 5

I know I shouldn't laugh about stuff like this but the voles and mice are only eating to survive, they aren't "attacking" your plants. 

I hope you find a way to peacefully resolve the situation.  :hippy:

• Like 2

I had issues with furry critters a few years back when we moved some aged climbing rose & an old work shed ,  directly after removing it all my plants were being nibbled badly ,  

i didnt want to kill anything and Bass Cats way too lazy to cheas let alone catch anything lol    

I resorted to very hot chilli powder in water and make a spray up  ,  within 3 days i could see a visible diff in the damage levels and within a week they were gone.    

The mix was fairly potent !     

I hope you get to the bottom of it and resolve it mate ,  pref without loss of life :george: 

• Like 4

I remember also gardener's would soak peas in paraffin before planting so mice & voles wouldn't eat the seedlings. I am not sure how effective it would be on cannabis but a weak solution in water with dish soap would be worth a try.

• Like 3

house mouse can go through a hole easy.....if you can put in a pencil....a mouse can go through it aswell.

the mice might like the water in the plants...

• Like 3