Bug resistance in cannabis is it a myth?

brock1

Cannabinoids probably play a small role in Cannabis’ pesticidal activity, but aqueous Cannabis extracts work very well as pesticides, even if they contain little cannabinoid. Cannabis contains more than 400 chemicals (Turner et al. 1980). Their leaf glands ooze dozens of volatile compounds, such as terpenes, ketones, and esters which produce the characteristic odor of the plant (Ross and ElSohly 1996). The limonene and several pinenes which comprise over 75% of volatiles detected in the "headspace" atmosphere surrounding Cannabis leaves (Hood et al. 1973, Ross and ElSohly 1996) are powerful insect repellents. Methyl ketones present in Cannabis (Turner et al. 1980) also repel many leaf-eating insects (Kashyap et al. 1991). A synergistic combination of these many compounds may serve as the "active ingredient" in Cannabis.

That's the conclusion from the paper cited above. So, basically, the stinkier the weed, the more it deters critters! :)

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crow River said:

That's the conclusion from the paper cited above. So, basically, the stinkier the weed, the more it deters critters! :)

That says powerful repellent from things like limonene & pinenes terpenes. Thats not plant resistant and if that's what your growing i would guess that if bugs get to it they will eat it regardless. Its also based on the fact some cannabinoids are toxic to bugs but bugs don't eat trichcombes. They eat the plant sap making that factor irrelevant. Yes trichcombes can catch a few bugs. In some plants they even attract them similar to a Venus fly trap. I theorise that cannabis can actually feed from these bugs trapped on trichcombes as they degrade similar to foliage feeding but that's a different thing altogether. Resistance would mean that plant with limonene & pinenes would be resistant to bugs attacks? So if this is true why when DNA genetics release lemon skunk did the clones i give a friend that put them in a loft grow that previously got spider mite still get eaten & webbed? Lemon skunk as both these terpins presents but showed no resistance to spider mite and the room needed to be treated with bug clear. Before anyone asks why he added then he thought because he hadn't grow their for a few months they would all be dead :wallbash:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, brock1 said:

I theorise that cannabis can actually feed from these bugs trapped on trichcombes as they degrade similar to foliage feeding but that's a different thing altogether.

They realised there is a plant which does exactly that in Canada recently, it made me think that cannabis probably could do a similar thing so therefore could possibly be considered carnivorous, although it doesn't depend on insects like the plant in Canada.

It was proved by feeding fruit flies an isotope of nitrogen that was later found in the plant tissue.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/carnivorous-plants-canada

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

They realised there is a plant which does exactly that in Canada recently, it made me think that canabis probably could do a similar thing so therefore could possibly be considered carnivorous, although it doesn't depend on insects like the plant in Canada.

It was proved by feeding fruit flies an isotope of nitrogen that was later found in the plant tissue.

That's pretty much my theory & why cannabis can have that rotten fruit or rotten corpse smell. Its probably from a wild ancestor that used the trichcombes to catch and digest flies and bugs. As a secondary way of feeding itself.  Its explains why on occasions resesive traits show up that smell like nothing humans would consider favorable like cat piss ect. Sure theirs a few people like cat piss smells maybe me even :wassnnme:

• Like 5

Just now, brock1 said:

That's pretty much my theory & why cannabis can have that rotten fruit or rotten corpse smell. Its probably from a wild ancestor that used the trichcombes to catch and digest flies and bugs. As a secondary way of feeding itself.  Its explains why on occasions resesive traits show up that smell like nothing humans would consider favorable like cat piss ect. Sure theirs a few people like cat piss smells maybe me even :wassnnme:

That dead rotting meat weed is my favourite lol I been hunting for another mother of it for 20 plus years, currently growing out 25 more darkstar as it has the odd plant with it, I assume it comes from afghan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brock1 said:

Yes trichcombes can catch a few bugs

That gave me flash backs to my first ever grow picking gnats off my buds with tweezers lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, brock1 said:

Sure theirs a few people like cat piss smells maybe me even :wassnnme:

For me it very much depends if it's from my plants or my cats lol

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Barry blunt said:

That dead rotting meat weed is my favourite lol I been hunting for another mother of it for 20 plus years, currently growing out 25 more darkstar as it has the odd plant with it, I assume it comes from afghan.

I hear that a lot but although I think the Afghan brought it out I don't think its completely from the Afghan side. Mexican sativa as polecat phenos in it also rotten meat and rubber just like Afghan as that rubber gassy smell. Personally I think its from reducing the sativa to catch the earlier terps and combining them with the burnt gas affy turps that give the RKS type. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brock1 said:

I hear that a lot but although I think the Afghan brought it out I don't think it’s completely from the Afghan side. Mexican sativa as polecat phenos in it also rotten meat and rubber just like Afghan as that rubber gassy smell. Personally I think its from reducing the sativa to catch the earlier terps and combining them with the burnt gas affy turps that give the RKS type. 

It was a cutting of rks I had 20-25 years ago, I’ve been hunting out something similar since, I might buy some Acapulco gold seeds to mess about with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry blunt said:

It was a cutting of rks I had 20-25 years ago, I’ve been hunting out something similar since, I might buy some Acapulco gold seeds to mess about with. 

I think if your going to find then it will be in a f2. Personally I would like to inbreed 1 side probably the Afghan parents to try finding a few natural Aneuploid to cross to the Acapulco sativa. Try to find some rare recessive combinations. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

They realised there is a plant which does exactly that in Canada recently, it made me think that cannabis probably could do a similar thing so therefore could possibly be considered carnivorous, although it doesn't depend on insects like the plant in Canada.

Too much nitrogen and phosphorus involved in growing cannabis for there to be a low nutrient evolutionary driver, which is found across all other carnivorous plants. Possibly carnivorous by proxy like bramble, but not carnivorous in an evolutionary sense as they both require soil microbes to break down the fauna into food. Also the anti-fungal/bacterial components found throughout the cannabinoid profile are almost the opposite of the digestive enzymes necessary for true carnivorous plants.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 3