Autos - which ones?

smoke75

10 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Thats because with photos we have a choice on how long we want to Veg for and a lot of us ain't in a rush so that probably gives off the perception photos take longer to grow, if you veg a photo the same time as a Auto you will end up similar or better yields than a Auto but with less risk.

Heck you could go even further the other way and 12/12 from seed lol

Now days I see the only sensible use for Autos is outdoors or in veg tents.

looking very nice military grade,im now thinking maybe I will go down the photo route next grow,I have a very similar  setup  to you (70x70x160)but feel i could be putting it to better use tbh.

What sort of yield would you be expecting to pull in your setup  with photos please if you dont mind me asking? iv`e never done a a scrog grow (lazy grower lol) but seeing those nice uniform buds am thinking of going down this route with a couple of photos next run instead of the usual 4 autos.too much popcorn bud with 4 autos in my size tent,am thinking I maybe able to pull the same amount scrogging 2 photos instead of the 4 crammed autos,cheers

• Like 2

@MARLO-HI  I don't normally weight my harvest tbh, I've changed techniques almost every grow so far, the last grow that I did Weight was about 126g in a 60x60x160 with a 100w light(i definitely could had beat it), but with my new light and next full sized grow I'd expect to beat that for sure.(only got new light after stretch phase was done this grow)

The current grow I thought I'd try flipping earlier than the previous grow 4 weeks instead of 8, and kept tucking branches in the first week and a bit of stretch, this seems to be a better use of light spread unlike my CBD #1 plant that was 8 week veg and ended up with longer branches but more popcorn buds.

Example of how NOT to do it lol,veg too long for the space.

large.20230213_213235.jpglarge.20230213_212839.jpg

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, smoke75 said:

what everyone's thoughts are on what I should go for.

can I just ask bro - I take it you've no room for a veg tent? (+ flower tent) [2 tents, so you can veg a crop while the other is flowering]

+, anything you grow can be kept short with training

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

All I'm hearing is more reason to grow a photo lol

The realistic bare minimum flowering time for Autos and photos is 8 weeks, Autos on average take from 3-6 weeks to flip (something you have no control over) will take you over 10 weeks. With a photo you could veg for 2 weeks bend the plant over and flip for 8 weeks flower total 10 weeks.:yep:

Thats not true information mate. You can go 12 from seed with a auto & if you get the smaller lowryder 1 type they could finish in 7-9 week from seed. People would just throw a shit load of seed in just for the top buds under 12hr light. I wouldn't recommend it personally because you need a lot of seed but people used to do this with lowryder regs. A lot of Danish growers still grow like this because of their law's are still harsh on growers. In and out auto grows is probably why older auto's strains are still so popular in these countries. These type Danish growers make some of the best auto's for fast version breeding in my experience. Not the case here though & sqeezing a extra week or 2 will make a big difference. 

Edited by brock1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, smoke75 said:

I’m sticking with the autos for now as I only have 11 weeks tops, more likely 10.

I’ve done a few of them now, all have been a success so I’m sticking with what I’m comfortable with for now.

Just asking :D 

It’s just that seed sellers love to heavily promote autos to new growers who don’t realise how simple it is to grow photos.

It means they get a cut of £$€¥ for every plant you grow

If it’s what you’re comfortable with then that’s great.

But I also wanted you to at least consider a run of photoperiods,

so long as you don’t have major issues with temperature or light leaks.

We’re here to help you grow the best weed possible :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I just done a comparison of growing seedstockers panty punch auto V panty punch photo  

The photo had a 3wk headstart and I put her in flower the day the auto surfaced and kept them both going 11wk flower  

My auto was far nice looking, nicer buds but the photo was more dense buds and smaller but did give a better yield of around 8g.

Was it worth it im not sure. I'm running 4 more Auto's now as they're easy but I hate the yield they give in soil and might go back to coco after summer

I grew photos for years and the yield was always great in coco but now its shocking I've moved to soil! Total weight I think for 5 fecking plants ad 2 were autos was only 180g. 

I was easily pilling 100g per plant and felt well chuffed but now WTF 

Something isn't right for me and I don't know what but I'll keep that for my own thread and try and get advice on increasing yields!

I will add that my gelato41 auto gave a yield of 41g and that was the highest even out of 3 photos!! 

Edited by Darknight420710
2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

can I just ask bro - I take it you've no room for a veg tent? (+ flower tent) [2 tents, so you can veg a crop while the other is flowering]

+, anything you grow can be kept short with training

mystic

Correct, space is tight, just enough room for the one tent.

• Like 1

autos can yeild well in soil, i did a cheese xxl auto from dinafem back in the day which did around 8-10 ounces

also look at big buddhas critical mass auto, fairly short, strong and easy to grow.

others are rqs royal dwarf, pyramid  seeds do some nice ones. the strongest i grew was sensi superskunk auto, it flattened me, and a few mates.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Just asking :D 

It’s just that seed sellers love to heavily promote autos to new growers who don’t realise how simple it is to grow photos.

It means they get a cut of £$€¥ for every plant you grow

If it’s what you’re comfortable with then that’s great.

But I also wanted you to at least consider a run of photoperiods,

so long as you don’t have major issues with temperature or light leaks.

We’re here to help you grow the best weed possible :) 

Atb

Not a problem. Space is tight so I’ve only one tent and if the sun is shining fiercely it can be difficult to keep the temps down.  I’ve done 9 autos over 3 grows and they’ve tolerated it ok.

If I do photos they are for another day.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Any! They're all a gamble for the most part. 

This

Try contact someone from sweet seeds on forum ask what's good and consistent atm

• Like 1

We have a Seedstockers representative on the boards :D 

@Seedstockers-Mark is a great guy,

he used to be Dinafem-Mark :) 

He’s introduced lots of board members to some great genetics.

I’ve grown the Seedstockers Apollo Black Cherry autos and they were some of the tastiest buds I’ve ever smoked.

I’ve been lucky enough to be sent a fair few different strains over the last couple of years.

My point is that if you PM him he’ll probably send you some seeds(autos and/or photos) if you’re prepared to do a wee diary of their grow.

Atb

• Like 1

Think I've done my selection and going for the following Royal Queen seeds:

Green Gelato Automatic

Hulkberry Automatic

Watermelon Automatic

All 'should' flower within 8 weeks allowing me to harvest in the timescales I have.  Mind you, as we all know what happens in reality can be miles from the theory.

THC content is decent and hopefully the don't grow too tall (I won't be LSTing them).

• Like 1