Carbon filter lifespan

smoke75

Hi all,

I’m about to embark on another grow and will likely by a new carbon filter, probably a Rhino pro.  I’ve done 3 grows so far with this one filter and it appears to have served me well.

The 3 grows I did were back in 2014, 2016 and 2019, the filter was used for about ten weeks with each grow, so about 7/8 months use in total.

The question I have is what renders a filter as spent? Is it it’s age, amount of time it’s been in use or a combination of the two?

when it’s not been in use it’s been stored in the loft in its original packaging.

As mentioned it’s likely I’ll purchase another due to the age of this one but I actually wonder if there is any life left in it.

Edited by smoke75
Title correction

Some brands last longer than others, I used a MountainAir continuously for over a decade with no smells!

• Like 7

I think generally carbon filters last a lot longer than advertised and the lifespan only really applies when in use.

You’d need to be using it 24/7 for a year, 2 years, maybe 3? As long as it continues to scrub the smell, its good to go :) 

• Like 7

Just now, smoke75 said:

I’m tempted to give it a go on this grow, possibly only replace if I notice a smell.

My tactic is to always have a spare in stock and then swap it out if I notice a smell. I pull apart the ducting regularly to check. 

• Like 6

I use aluminium tape to seal the ends of the outer dust cover at each end which I think extends the lifespan, if you leave them open at the ends a lot of dust gets in and blocks up the tiny passages in the carbon.

• Like 5

Just now, MindSoup said:

I pull apart the ducting regularly to check. 

I get a friend to check for me, I don't trust myself!

• Like 2

Mountain airs last for years, but yes it's the use that will matter not how old it is. 

I've fucked a few budget ones in my veg tent when my humidifiers have got a bit eager. I've stopped using them now as I couldn't work out how to set my inkbird humidity thing lol

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

My tactic is to always have a spare in stock and then swap it out if I notice a smell. I pull apart the ducting regularly to check. 

I was thinking about that however I would like to avoid a new unused filter sitting around doing nothing, especially if time affects their lifespan.

I only do a grow once every 2/3 years.

Just now, smoke75 said:

especially if time affects their lifespan.

Time does NOT affect their lifespan, only time spent with air flowing through them.

Just now, smoke75 said:

I only do a grow once every 2/3 years.

As long as you store the filter in a reasonably low humidity area and ideally sealed off it will last indefinitely in storage.

• Like 8

I got a cheap Ram 4" from the big river when they was less than £25, had it almost 2 years now running 24/7 365, i bought a second one just in case but gonna use that in the new tent now lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Chuck it up & see. If it's a new setup with seeds/clones there won't be much smell in the early stages. 

As mentioned previously in the thread, get a spare, treat it as a necessity not an optional extra. I didn't. When my shiny new filter failed mid flower....... 

• Like 2

I'd get a new one for flower just in case,reading a bad reviews on rhino regularly,I'll go for Carbo air next as mountain air is not available anymore here

Anyone using Carbo air?

I got a 12" fox filter I think,can't remember but it's for a pretty small space ,way over spec but better than the 4" cheapo versions. I've had a few cheapo ones ,and when the last rhino pro wasn't doing much I could shake it up and it'd keep the smell away for another short while. The newer rhinos apparently ain't so good and the hobby types probably poor enough.

I have a rhino filter which has been fantastic, I just replace the charcoal when it needs it. Drill out the rivets in the end of the filter and use screws to do it back up. one of the many things i learnt on here :smokin:

• Like 5