Best suited led for 1.2m2 (2m tall)

Trashedagain77

Hey guys please can I ask your expert opinions on the best choice for my 1.2m2 tent. I've finally decided (almost) on the Spider farmer black range. They boast a top notch driver which is detachable, Samsung diodes and a dimmer which is fine tunable 10% upwards. My main headache is the 730w is 1.14cm2 allowing only 6cm (3cm all around) which is fine and fits until you switch the air flow on. I'm concerned that the inverted sides of the tent will not allow such a small discrepancy. The lower version a 500w is 86cm2 so no size issues but I'm thinking it may not a) be powerful enough and b) not reach the edges adaquately therefore defeating my aim to make full use of the size. Any recommendations by way of experience in this field would be welcomed and appreciated. Ta very much folks. Peace. 

I don't know if you're a first time grower but if you're coming from hid then a 500w led will smash a 600w hps for instance. 

Think about how much you need to produce and the price differences between purchasing the lights and running costs. I bet the 500w would be fine. Don't rush into buying anything though, look around, there's some amazing kit about now. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, great replies! I must admit I have really struggled to choose the best LEDs I'm after. I have a 75cm2 closet and a 1.2m2 tent which I want LEDs to run for the summer. I've always used CFL and HPS since the 90s so all the LED is new to me. I had in mind a 300w Spider Farmer fully dimmable for the cupboard and like said, either a 500w 86cm2 frame or the 730w 114cm2 frame. These are fully dimmable and detachable driver's. Diodes are Samsung include UV and IR. 300w is £260 the others are £500 and £700 respectively from the manufacturer. I'd rather grab them from my local shop but they don't have any Spider farmer or marshydro lights in. They have lumatek zeus 600w Pro and 300w pro but they are more expensive than the ones I mentioned and apparently limited dimmer 25% increments and inferior diodes and drivers in comparison. More expensive too. I'm really not sure which to buy. I'm not planning on CO2 so no need for super power! Thanks again for your answers. 

Peace. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trashedagain77 said:

Spider farmer o

hi bro, im replacing my led's in a 1.2 x 2.4m tent soon, so I want 2

at the moment ive got maxibright/lumatek 480/465W pro's & get a lot of drop-off at the sides, and the power is the minimum of what's needed for the space

im looking at 600W fixtures, as @Fatboy77 says, having the fixtures fit to the edges of the 1.2m2 area is exactly what you, (& me), want

then I remembered how much I liked the spider farmer se7000

its got the led chips spaced out in the centre, bunched up at the ends, to better spread the PAR out to the edges instead of dumping it all in the middle, PLUS

the bars, they can be placed where you want, so you can space those out more in the centre & more at the edges, as your not fixed on where the bars sit on the frame, AND

the driver can be remote mounted, and MORE INTERESTINGLY

spider farmer have brought out UVA bars, ~£70 for 2, that fit in they're most recent fixtures (se7000 is one). 2 bars do 1 light, they are 30W & run off the LED's driver

so bro I would wholeheartedly say, not recommend as I dont know yet but they WILL be an ace light for the 1.2, get the spider farmer

if you get a ~450W led you will prolly want to upgrade it in a couple years, like I am now...

mystic

edit- as well bro just be careful on the spider farmer adverts (from other retailers) as I saw one that was advertising spider farmer new 'black edition' light (se7000) as being upgraded with IR led's (as in built-in LED chips) like you mention. if you look at the advert & the close-ups & even their own bloody pictures & specs you'll see thats there's NO SUCH IR led's I think they have gotten confused with you being able to fit the IR bars to the fixture.(or there just plain LYING) prove me wrong show me a picture or something from spider farmer or ANYTHING that shows new spider farmer fixtures have built in IR led's, you cant, they dont. please prove me wrong but I think thats just a misleading advert 

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

hi bro, im replacing my led's in a 1.2 x 2.4m tent soon, so I want 2

at the moment ive got maxibright/lumatek 480/465W pro's & get a lot of drop-off at the sides, and the power is the minimum of what's needed for the space

im looking at 600W fixtures, as @Fatboy77 says, having the fixtures fit to the edges of the 1.2m2 area is exactly what you, (& me), want

then I remembered how much I liked the spider farmer se7000

its got the led chips spaced out in the centre, bunched up at the ends, to better spread the PAR out to the edges instead of dumping it all in the middle, PLUS

the bars, they can be placed where you want, so you can space those out more in the centre & more at the edges, as your not fixed on where the bars sit on the frame, AND

the driver can be remote mounted, and MORE INTERESTINGLY

spider farmer have brought out UVA bars, ~£70 for 2, that fit in they're most recent fixtures (se7000 is one). 2 bars do 1 light, they are 30W & run off the LED's driver

so bro I would wholeheartedly say, not recommend as I dont know yet but they WILL be an ace light for the 1.2, get the spider farmer

if you get a ~450W led you will prolly want to upgrade it in a couple years, like I am now...

mystic

edit- as well bro just be careful on the spider farmer adverts (from other retailers) as I saw one that was advertising spider farmer new 'black edition' light (se7000) as being upgraded with IR led's (as in built-in LED chips) like you mention. if you look at the advert & the close-ups & even their own bloody pictures & specs you'll see thats there's NO SUCH IR led's I think they have gotten confused with you being able to fit the IR bars to the fixture.(or there just plain LYING) prove me wrong show me a picture or something from spider farmer or ANYTHING that shows new spider farmer fixtures have built in IR led's, you cant, they dont. please prove me wrong but I think thats just a misleading advert bro

Hey thanks Mystic, I'm super pleased you mentioned about the IR and UV things cos I seen them too in one place then not mentioned on another so a massive thank you for that! I may well still buy the SE3000 and SE7000 SFarmer lights but I still have a month until I really need as some. I have always had summer off growing because of far from ideal temps with my archaic HPS's. That's why I want to try LEDs and grow right thru! Peace. 

I've got a Zeus 465w in a 1.2 x1.2 and I don't see why you'd need more....I netted 640 g first grow with it.

• Like 5

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

Because your not optimising the space.  The tent can pull a kg.  If you pull an extra 360g from the same run, you need less runs to meet your needs.  That's a big saving on electric.

Not so sure I'd like to be cramming any more plants in there without some sort of de humidifier,which adds to costs significantly.

• Like 1

Oh yeah just thought I’d mention - I go on about IR in the bottom bit of the post when I actually mean UV

The confused retailer was saying SF had put UVA chips in the black edition 

& I don’t want to open any wormholes here, but I’ve got a 2.7 umol 465W pro (in a 1.2) n I reckon it’s a bag of shite…

all power to ya @Mr mcgregor

mystic

16 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

it’s a bag of shite…

I bet it pulls more than a 600w hid though. Have you checked it's actually running the correct wattage. One of the lads on here had a led and it was running half power, I can't recall if it was a maxi or a lumatek.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

Because your not optimising the space.  The tent can pull a kg.  If you pull an extra 360g from the same run, you need less runs to meet your needs.  That's a big saving on electric.

@Fatboy77  drop a pic I want to see kg in 1.2m

Not disputing it just want to see it lol

• Like 2

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

@Herbal Kint tall order that geez but I'll see if I can dredge the memory bank.  Been many years since I used that size tent!  New account now too, but I'll give it a whirl.

Insane score,I get half of your gpw, want to see how packed it can get lol

What's your rot ratio with led?

• Like 2

Have you looked at Migro or Telos light fixtures? Both have good reputation, and Migro has a modular design, so you can scale up by adding extra arrays with the brackets. Telos has intelligent bluetooth control via an app as well, you can link up the lights via wireless.

• Like 1