Most reliable way to germinate please?

8 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

+1 for float tech, works a treat and saves you wasting medium on duff beans. Also the one with the biggest tap root is usually the most vigorous plant too ime - so that one gets labelled #1 when potted up :)

large.float-tek-CBX-tails.jpg

Exactly what I do. Biggest baby gets number one spot!

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Going to try the 24hr soak and paper towel method to see will I have any success large.20240428_124729.jpg.0d7a833524bb799ad2c14dbf7225e57c.jpglarge.20240428_124813.jpg.218fe261ead031bac4a94f449187bee3.jpglarge.20240428_124811.jpg.e44f991d2072704e49e1d1eb0d3005a2.jpg

• Like 3

I usually drop in water till they split but had a stubborn couple and did just what u did above @Celtic voyager all cracked a lot quicker using that method just make sure the kitchen roll doesn't dry out.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, murphyblue said:

I usually drop in water till they split but had a stubborn couple and did just what u did above @Celtic voyager all cracked a lot quicker using that method just make sure the kitchen roll doesn't dry out.

I never tried this properly before, always just straight to medium. 

Just trying this to satisfy my own curiosity. 

• Like 2

I soak 24hrs in water, then 12-24hr in kitchen towel.(until cracked), this has a quicker turn around.

The thing I don't like about planting straight into the soil method is when you're growing multiple strains it's a pain to find out one of your plants didn't germ a week or two later, this then fucks up your plans to have all your plants the same ages and size at the same time ready for flipping.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

Going to give this a try, to see is there any difference to what I'm using nowlarge.Screenshot_20240428_181018_Chrome.jpg.4b0b0929abbd654545e455af463cf1e5.jpg

• Like 1

Multipurpose compost sieved and mixed about 8:1 with perlite. Mixed together while spraying water so it’s evenly wet. Leave it in the propagator for a few hours to bring up to temperature. Seeds planted 15mm deep, cover and a light sprinkle of vermiculite to stop any algae on the surface. A splash of water over the top and 3-5 days later they should all be up.

• Like 2