Calcium Deficiency

Jackie Treehorn

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

ok then we have some differences

the calcium overload sounds plausible

mystic

Thanks Mystic. Currently been giving 0.25 ml/l of cal mag. I'm proper confused now.

48 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Your cal and mag levels are very similar to my own. Ever so slightly higher. Similar ratio.

I calculated that a micro pinch (very scientific) of Epsom salts per litre would theoretically correct the balance.

I also used small doses of calmag to raise overall levels.

I'm not growing in soil now but when I did and had any issues similar to what you have there I came to the conclusion it was largely poor environment.

In particular for me the root zone temperature was a bit low. How are yours on that score?

I'm in coco now but my last run did actually have one silly little soil one in there. I used a small dose of calmag here and there as a preventative more than anything else. Not really sure it was needed.

Might be worth you adding just a small dose to up the overall level and towards a better ratio.

I don't use anything to amend my water in coco as the feed I use has it all.

Thanks. More to think about. I am giving 0.25ml/l of cal mag. I'll look into Epsom salts. No idea what my root zone temp is TBH.

5 minutes ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Is the soil around the edge of the pots really as dry as it looks in the pic? 

No, I wouldn't say it was too dry. I took the pics just before watering. I had just rotated the fabric pots a bit which probably made it look like a big gap between the soil edge and the pot.

Must be my old eyes playing up,lol.What helped me in a similar situation was to give them a good soaking with some extra Epsom salts added and turn the heating up.

Just now, Mr mcgregor said:

Must be my old eyes playing up,lol.What helped me in a similar situation was to give them a good soaking with some extra Epsom salts added and turn the heating up.

Thanks Mr M. Looking at the ca:mg ratio of my water and reading all the helpful posts it seems to me that cutting out the calmag and adding a pinch of Epsom salts might do the trick. I'll check the temps at root too, although at this time of year it's up and down on a daily basis.

And there's your problem.......Environment is Everything! Most plant nutrient uptake problems are exacerbated by low temperatures. Keep the dial in the 20' and most problems seem to disappear ime.

1 hour ago, Mr mcgregor said:

And there's your problem.......Environment is Everything! Most plant nutrient uptake problems are exacerbated by low temperatures. Keep the dial in the 20' and most problems seem to disappear ime.

Thanks mate. I'll keep that in mind.