Calcium Deficiency

Jackie Treehorn

Can anyone help me understand what's going on here?

Three photos below are all different plants (but all three are Blue Dream Autos). I think it may be Calcium Deficiency but not sure as it's the first time I've had this issue. I don't have a Ph tester yet, although I have ordered one. If it is showing something other than what it should be I'll adjust with Ph Up or Down but wanted to get some opinion here if there was something else I might be missing. 

If it is Ph, should I flush first and then start to adjust?

Alternatively, if Ph is good, is it just a case of more CalMag?

large.IMG_1766.JPGlarge.IMG_1767.JPGlarge.IMG_1765.JPG

Deffo looks like Ca to me. What medium are you using? Compost shouldn’t require pH witchcraftery. 

First port of call check your water suppliers breakdown of Ca and Mg. 

Been a few of these water problems last few days.

E2a if it is compo then add a few bits. Temps/humidity/light proximity & intensity might help the mudskippers help you :) 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
3 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Deffo looks like Ca to me. What medium are you using? Compost shouldn’t require pH witchcraftery. 

First port of call check your water suppliers breakdown of Ca and Mg. 

Been a few of these water problems last few days.

E2a if it is compo then add a few bits. Temps/humidity/light proximity & intensity might help the mudskippers help you :) 

Thanks Mikey.

I'm using BioBizz Light Mix. I didn't think I would have an issue with Ph, hence not having got myself a tester before now. I always leave my water to stand for a few days before watering.

I've checked my water hardness and it's 7.9 ph, 30.42 calcium (mg/l) and 4.29 magnesium (mg/l).

Aye like a couple of others recently, it seems you need to add Mg to your mix to get a 3:1 of Ca:Mg … anyone help to do the maffs? I’m number blind innit.

Edited by mikeydoughnut

You won't need a PH pen , mate, it does look like cal mag to me as well. I have to add it to the water at 1ml to a litre. been growing photos for a couple of years with no problems but this time I'v got a couple of autos on the go thinking I'll get a quick harvest, they have still gone the same way as yours even though I'v added cal mag. It could just be me, I get much better results from photos, this is my last time with autos after these.

Just now, the punter said:

You won't need a PH pen , mate, it does look like cal mag to me as well. I have to add it to the water at 1ml to a litre. been growing photos for a couple of years with no problems but this time I'v got a couple of autos on the go thinking I'll get a quick harvest, they have still gone the same way as yours even though I'v added cal mag. It could just be me, I get much better results from photos, this is my last time with autos after these.

Thanks mate. Good to know. I've been growing for just over a year and only grown autos so far (height is an issue for me in my grow space so my thinking is they are short and easy) but I am deffo going to look at photos for my next grow.

• Like 1

@Jackie Treehorn

You have far more control over photos than autos. You determine when they flower and how high they will be as opposed to auto

as once the seed is sown you're in the lap of the gods...no control at all...

• Like 3

that looks like mine, when I used to use hard imbalanced tap water

I think its calcium. quite far into it - they got all scabby like that

when does it start & what does it look like, brown spots at about 3 weeks from seed?

mystic

It’s possibly calcium overload , adding cal:mag makes it worse. If it is, just use mg. The water from hard water areas is calcium rich, mg poor. 

12 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

that looks like mine, when I used to use hard imbalanced tap water

I think its calcium. quite far into it - they got all scabby like that

when does it start & what does it look like, brown spots at about 3 weeks from seed?

mystic

My water is soft. Not happened before and came on about 6 weeks into the grow at the point where flowering started. Initially just some yellowing of the tips and thought that might be due to a new, stronger light but then the brown spots came on a few days ago and escalated quickly. I've got six in there at the mo and only three seem affected - one severely (the second pic above).

5 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

It’s possibly calcium overload , adding cal:mag makes it worse. If it is, just use mg. The water from hard water areas is calcium rich, mg poor. 

Thanks mate. I'll look into that. Deffo soft water where I am.

Just now, Jackie Treehorn said:

My water is soft.

ok then we have some differences

the calcium overload sounds plausible

mystic

Most water companies have an online analysis report. If in doubt, get it tested at Growers Ark for £34. They will tell you what your tap imbalance is. Good luck, plenty of folks on these boards can help you calculate the amount of additives to supplement with, which is usually mg, but possibly cal if extremely soft water..

• Like 1

Your cal and mag levels are very similar to my own. Ever so slightly higher. Similar ratio.

I calculated that a micro pinch (very scientific) of Epsom salts per litre would theoretically correct the balance.

I also used small doses of calmag to raise overall levels.

I'm not growing in soil now but when I did and had any issues similar to what you have there I came to the conclusion it was largely poor environment.

In particular for me the root zone temperature was a bit low. How are yours on that score?

I'm in coco now but my last run did actually have one silly little soil one in there. I used a small dose of calmag here and there as a preventative more than anything else. Not really sure it was needed.

Might be worth you adding just a small dose to up the overall level and towards a better ratio.

I don't use anything to amend my water in coco as the feed I use has it all.