Old fans work with newer EC type controllers?

Axiom

Will the box fan work as intake for all EC fan controllers, or do I specific type?
I want to use my old exhaust fan as an intake and then upgrade it to an EC fan later on ..
Little by little eh.. 

My reason for getting the EC is I've read a lot about it being much quieter and I want to vent directly outside but need it to be as silent as possible. 

Edited by Axiom

Pretty sure all EC controllers use PWM via a 4 pin cable/signal, if your box fan doesn’t have then no. 

• Like 1

As said, you'll need 2x EC fans. You can get knock offs on Spamazon but don't scrimp on the controller. Which controller you looking at?

@Slippy One No idea, which should I be looking at? I hear that they need to be the same brand as the fans connected to them in most cases.
So I guess it comes down to people's experience with the brands themselves?

3 hours ago, Axiom said:

I want to vent directly outside but need it to be as silent as possible. 

it's air noise not a particular fan capability at that point mate, get a decent fan controller and keep your old fans until the pack up is my advice, exhaust point is the noisiest point, slowing down the fans voltage/speed or getting bigger diameter fans and running slower would be the solution

• Like 5

I'm not sure the brand is the worry so long as the tech is EC motors. You'll need the intake fan to be smaller to keep negative pressure. 

• Like 1

If you were to get a GAS Enviro V2 controller(not cheap),

you can run a mixture of AC and EC fans ;) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Im guessing these fans have a much longer working life, due to their efficiencies?
The energy savings also must be significant enough to justify the expense after a couple years.

I wonder if I got the GAS Enviro V2, would my old RVKs work without hum, @Shumroom?
The advertising seems to point out that it works 'perfectly' with systemic AC and EC fans. Hmm.
The reduction in buzz and humming alone is very appealing to me and warrants higher purchase cost on a controller! 

I can't see how they'd last longer than an Rvk, they can run for decades it would seem.

The GAS Enviro V2 is the one I should have gone for. Can't complain about the SMS hybrid I use but for the money the GAS one has more features. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axiom said:

would my old RVKs work without hum,

hi bro just butting in here - afaik the fan hum is down to the (AC) tech not being (as) suitable for slowing down with controllers

with EC u dont get that hum

although I could be wrong

edit- if you get the hum without slowing it down, then a controller won't remove the hum, do u mean the hum when u slow it down or in normal operation

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

41 minutes ago, KC said:

I can't see how they'd last longer than an Rvk, they can run for decades it would seem.

i've been running mine for 14 years now, not had one fail.

i was happy to upgrade my lights to led, but i'm buggered if i'm jumping on the ac bandwagon until my fans conk out

• Like 3

I replaced mine at 16 years for no other reason than I was changing all my ducting and thought best to do it all in one. Only failure I had was one of of the old ones didn't work after I plugged it back in but it was fine before, very strange!

Germans make some good stuff :nerd:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

edit- if you get the hum without slowing it down, then a controller won't remove the hum, do u mean the hum when u slow it down or in normal operation

Both Hums... like Humbert Humbert...

no but really, I have no issue with the Tornado fan being low because the faint noise doesn't bother me but I'm sure the RVK will hum a lot on my SMS twin controller - although its in an MDF box with foam inside. 

@ratdogmade me rethink my strategy. At the end of the day its the exhaust end point that is the security issue for me and spending money on all the stuff before that point doesn't make sense, especially as all my kit is working fine. 

The hum / buzz from the RVK intake is probably the main issue here. 

I might need a controller for a smaller tent soon so I figured maybe buying the GAS controller would eliminate hum and buzz better than other branded controllers, as its probably designed to work with their range of fans.. hmm 

Edited by Axiom
  • Like 1

Just now, Axiom said:

At the end of the day its the exhaust end point that is the security issue for me

is your fan on full speed all the time?

Just now, Axiom said:

The hum / buzz from the RVK intake is probably the main issue here. 

i don't bother with intake fans in my tents, especially in winter, fan is just ticking over on exhaust with leds anyway

• Like 2

If you google there’s the the gas enviro controller for AC fans reduced from the full £300 to £100. I want one coz it’s cheaper than replacing fans but I don’t have £100. The one that controls heating too is £120. Just pm me if you want to know where

• Like 2