Alskaes RGS GG

Alskae

We're nearing the planting season when is everyone thinking of getting there's outdoors, anyone going for a late April plant out or all in May? I might chuck a few out late April and hope for some trees lol

Think I'll be germing the rest of my seeds later as I have to keep them by a windowsill so they stay pretty small for the first few weeks so I'll post some updates in a few days times about germ rates, so far though have has been 100%.

Edited by Alskae

Alright everyone went to the plot 3 days ago to set up the chicken wire cages, tested a pair of pliers on the wire beforehand and it cut perfectly got to the spot and the bastard thing wouldn't cut the wire so that will have to be done next time. Also after a good few weeks without visiting there was weeds all over the place, not in the actual holes I've dug for the plants but everywhere else was nettles. I suppose that's a good indication though as nettles love nitrogen rich soil. After removing all the weeds I sprinkled about 1kg of FBB over both the holes and all the soil around them, can't see nutrient deficiency being an issue now seeing as the ground has been prepped with kilos of chicken pellets, fbb and bonemeal a few months back and now an extra kilo of FBB.

And also I thought fuck it before the ones on the windowsill got too big I took them the spot and planted them out so at the minute there's x1 fast lemon, x1 freezland, x1 greengold, x1 purple freeze at the plot. With a mid April plant out and the plants already being 3-4 weeks old so long as the weather stays okay I'm hoping for some trees lol

All the other beans are now being germinated and will spend 2-3 weeks by the window before they get moved to the plot.

• Like 4

On 19/04/2023 at 0:05 PM, B-real said:

Sounds like alot if ferts forc2 holes ??

First lots of FBB and chicken pellets were dug straight into the ground not into holes over about a 20m2 area. Then dug 20 holes out of that and filled with compost then put about a kilo of FBB over the whole thing again recently so about 50g per square meter which is still less than the 70-100g recommended on the box.

large.Screenshot_20230423-155855_Gallery.jpg

This has had me proper confused I thought I had fucked up planting them and put 2 but I can only find one seed shell. Is getting 2 plants from a single seed even possible because if so have never seen that happen before. Thats from 1 of 3 maff seeds, the other 2 maffs have sprouted so I know I haven't accidently put 2 in the same cell unless it's another strain.

• Like 3

Alright everyone starting germing about 30 or so beans half being RGS, had just under a 100% germination rate out of 15 I'm pretty sure one didn't sprout and that was the mighty gold. I suppose you could still say 100% though cause my maff had twins which makes up for the one I lost. The twin ones started off significantly smaller than all my others so will be interesting to see how they compare to the others in a week's time.

Also with all the beans sprouting I decided to do a little test 1/3 of the seed tray was pure coco, 1/3 was coco+comp+perlite and the last 1/3 was just pure compost. So far I've had the quickest germ rate and growth with the pure coco, secondly the coco+comp and the slowest growth has come from the just compost cells. I do think the ones in coco+comp will do better in terms of growth in next week or so just due to the fact coco has no nutrients.

We had a frost the other night and I've already got 4 out, was about 0c to -1c so I'm just hoping that's only stunted them for a bit and not killed them, my hopes are high though cause when I had shot at it a few years back I planted at the start of April and they survived 2 or 3 frosts.

The ones that have sprouted now will be planted out in the first or second week of May so that's when I'll be able to give an update on the 4 that have already been planted out. Just hoping rabbits, slugs and the cold haven't finished them off.

• Like 3

large.Screenshot_20230430-121634_Gallery.jpg

Alright everyone everything has sprouted now I took this photo 4 days ago so there's been some more growth since then, ignore the cucumber and pepper plants lol

Since I took that photo 4 days I have since put more in there so I think there's 38 total now, a lot of them aren't RGS though so I won't go over them on here. All of the left 3 sections, so the first 15 cells are all RGS.

I thought one of the RGS beans didn't sprout but it did just took longer than the rest which means I have a 16/15 germ rate cause one had twins lol

• Like 5

• 10 months later...
On 18/03/2023 at 22:53, Alskae said:

And if anyone is wondering why I'm using the cubes it's because I couldn't be assed to get a bag of soil and the cubes cost pennies so just went with them.

Looking good brother. If it's Soil, Coco or Cubes, it doesn't matter mate. Whatever works for you. Go for it!