IWS Pro XL flood and drain

badbillybob

Might've said this already when we spoke about it but the pot filters are worth their weight in gold, copper mats and or spreader mat in the bottom of the pots and a T-piece on every pot so as to loop the lines from the brain. Other than that its pretty simple, keep an eye on the barrel and if chunks are going missing and the EC is going up, add more floods :yep: 

• Like 1

Am just starting one but the clones in just trying to sort the times out not sure am overwatering so dropped it to 3 feeds a day have been building my own systems for years but wish I done this years ago seems very good to the point my mate seen it and gone out a bought one for him self. Am using 100% clay pebbles 

• Like 1

i tried your system remember? and altho it works for you, it didnt work for me....But each to thier own.

my mate who also grows has been bleating on about flood and drain and honestly, after seeing his crop today (chop day), compared to my pathetic effor ts in coco, im starting to come round to it. .

Hes not a great grower, but in 8 odd years hes had no root rot, no pyth, nol issues and has not even cleaned system out between runs, soometimes leaving it for 6 montjhs with rootballs etc still in.

its pretty bulletproof, and easy imho, compared to rdwc

got to admit , im tempted now, hold up ill get a pic

Edited by badbillybob

here u go, and this is with aircooled hoods , which arent the best

large.3.JPGlarge.2.JPGlarge.1.JPG

he uses an alien flood n drain system with bigger pots, they dont make em anymore, but iws looks similar

Edited by badbillybob

1 hour ago, gavlp20 said:

Am just starting one but the clones in just trying to sort the times out not sure am overwatering so dropped it to 3 feeds a day have been building my own systems for years but wish I done this years ago seems very good to the point my mate seen it and gone out a bought one for him self. Am using 100% clay pebbles 

which system do you have, what size pots?

tbh if anything the IWS is far more solid than the Alien systems, of which were a bit all fur coat and no knickers. I'm not sure if they still use them or not, but the Alien F&D systems used to come with these probe sensors instead of float switches lol the shop i worked at, at the time, used to get a lad in every other week, brain bucket in hand and a story about the bedroom ceiling coming down lol 

• Like 1

his has been working since about 2013. he did have the probe issue, but tbf they repolace the brain and no issues, this was about 2014.

but yeah, i hear you, its not a good design

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

8 odd years hes had no root rot, no pyth, nol issues

I've come to the conclusion the trick is not to have roots submerged permanently thereby allowing them access to far more air

than you get with dwc rdwc and nft.

This why i keep banging on about the 'gap' and if you think about it flood and drain is pretty much a massive gap.

My system is based on a f&d table but by top feeding/watering I avoid the need for a medium, have access to the roots

and can move plants around with ease....never get root rot and have no need to control res temp so critically.

I reckon you could probably build something similar to the IWS at a fraction of the cost.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

which system do you have, what size pots?

Have got a 6 pot Iws pro with the bigger pipe and a 220l res . It’s so simple and impressive have only potted my clones 2 days ago am planning on lst on the inner pot so I can rotate every few days like I say my mate seen it running and went straight to the local shop which he was lucky they had everything about from the base buckets and inner pot which I had spare of . I have build all my hydro system myself for the last 20y been ups and downs 

• Like 1

yeah, i hear u.

ive been building systems for years too, and im sure, if i was fit, i could knock something up that would compare, bujt my knee is fuckerood, i cant kneel anymore and ive a massive tear on my cartilidge so work isnt happening,

this is why i was just thinking of dropping on a new system, its less griwef too, justy set it up and fire on.

ive got chillers i can sell, and expensive airpumps, air cooled hoods etc ill never use again . i could flog all that and would pay for most of it. hopefully

• Like 2