Shade paint

Clubs

Plus one @Punta Roja... I threw an obscene amount out last year in the garden. Then snaffled them away when company came round. Get some pungent garden plants and you'll be well away.... 

ETA.... The smell is dissipated much quicker in an open space. I originally built some perspex shelters, but the smell seemed to gather. You'll still need to keep an eye on the strains you're doing, but there's plenty of choice for the stealth grower.... 

Edited by Idicanna jones
  • Like 3

We can get quite extensive wet periods here so was a bit worried about them being in the open air. But now I'm considering it, maybe wrap the balcony in polythene or something. Maybe keep the plants trained low. So they smell a bit less in the open air then? Interesting

• Like 2

Only my very limited opinion dude. I sometimes chucked them under a parasol if it's gonna piss it down all day....other than that (and the light dep fems that I bring inside at night) they're left to do what they do

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clubs said:

So they smell a bit less in the open air then? Interesting

Yeah a lot less, well it doesn't accumulate is prob a better way of putting it, but be warned, my old housemate had a single plant in our back garden (out in the open) and you could smell it half way up the street on a hot day. 

Personally I think it's way easier to do a stealth grow indoors, even a small cupboard (say 50x50x100cm) is enough to supply an ounce a month or so.

This was my first indoor space. Not the best grow by any means but still got myself about 3 ounces from 35x55x75cm. 

And then we have @Mullet who I'd say is the most successful micro grower around these parts at the moment. I reckon he's pulling waaaay more in a year than you would from a small greenhouse and I imagine you could be inches from his grow without the foggiest idea. 

Pretty sure both these setups where less than 250 quid all in including seeds and soil etc.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

2023 is predicted everywhere i have searched  as hottest yet !   

I grow too many plants ,   its an addiction your honour lol  ,  anyway  over the years i have only had 2 plants that had me ready to cull  ,   if your sensible with your cultivar choices and poss use scented plants like roses , oriental lily   ,  i see nor reason why you cant grow in the open in the garden from a smell / odour perspective.  

The damp can concentrate the aroma but normally in a very localised point ie around the plant ,   the time to focus on is the warm & still evenings :yep:    

99% of pics in my gallery are garden done  , i do care about the smell offending neighbouring properties ,  i regularly check its not invasive to others by visiting neighbours , 

so if i  can get away with running... the few i run , im sure you can.     

Sagarmatha Western Winds & Seedstockers Mac & Crack are the 2 that had me ready to cull. 

Be sensible & realistic with choices & leave them in their natural habitat :yep:      Smell without ventilation in an enclosed or restrictive area will build up fast.

Increase your odds and leave them dotted around the garden  ,  hidden in plain sight is my method ,  amongst brightly coloured & scented plants that demand the senses attention and my girls vanish into the back ground.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clubs said:

@Doby Mick Do you find that the paint affected yield, growth or anything else for better or worse?

I have never tried with out  shading so cannot really comment on yeild differences , but Durban Poisen planted photos planted in the ground yeilded about 3 oz each , but bud rot was a big issue in the autumn  , I grow tomatoes along side . 

The best thing would be to remove the sides of your greenhouse , but that defeats the hiding :)

• Like 1

@OldFord That's brilliant. My garden is pretty neat and square so I've got work to do if I'm going to turn it into a floral wonderland. Could take a while to get that together but I'm up for it. Better kit out that shed in the meantime :g:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clubs said:

@OldFord That's brilliant. My garden is pretty neat and square so I've got work to do if I'm going to turn it into a floral wonderland. Could take a while to get that together but I'm up for it. Better kit out that shed in the meantime :g:

A mixture of heavy scented roses ,  various heavy scented lily variants ,  szechuan pepper plant and even if you dont get a lot of corns it will still go a loooong way in helping :yep:

• Like 1

I found that even with my greenhouse door and roof vent open the smells do build up. As soon as there moved into the open garden the smells disperse quicker. As @OldFordhas stated planting scented roses/lavender/lillies etc is the way forward. I've got a large bush called Hot Lips and lavender next to my greenhouse which really stinks in the summer and provides good cover. Ill be planting more roses soon as well 

• Like 2

Anything thats heavily scented ,  it all helps  :yep:       I stagger the lily bulb planting to try keep a bloom going ,  they work very well in disguising my plants aromas.

What we grow generally has a pretty signature whiff about it ,  anything that i can grow to try disguise or combat it then im game ,   a good manure top dressing on the borders in the garden leaves the air tainted for a week :george:     A fence painting with old school creosote  , yeah im bad ,   buys another week or 2  lol       always offer to do the neighbours fences too &  always around the finals weeks of my girls ...strangely enough  :yep:             You got to make an effort if you want to grow a few around the garden.   

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 3