Bit of a predicament & not sure what to do?

130RMORGA03

1 hour ago, Tommy tucker said:

Now that's a swap, the area were I'm gonna be working in is nothing like that. U went balls deep & kept it moving when other people would of given up. Your a true inspiration to people like me who are gonna give it a go. Read through your diary for an hour and a half. @B-real I can see what u meant by your post. 

• Like 1

Your gunna have to water a hell of alot in a pot. Be a nightmare for security issues and leaving trails and getting spotted.

For the soil , ammend compost with fbb , chicken manure pellets and kelp meal.

Add 30 percent worm castings,they are the dogs danglers 

• Like 3

Great to see some of the older members in these threads. 

@130RMORGA03

You can use the search facility. There’s a wealth of info. 
Some good notes on health (Carcinogens and Tics :fart:) ,plot security, speed of native growth, mould ,and adjusting soil conditions. 

I’ve always avoided Bracken and found better places. If you do then perhaps an auto and semi photo multi plot mix to spread your bets. Gl for 23

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 130RMORGA03 said:

1st off if I'm posting in the wrong place then many apologies. 

I've got to spots literally 20min walk from my house. Both extremely over grown with ferns. I've managed to get into the center of each patch. The mud is slightly boggy & probably way to wet to grow in with a high possibility of causing root rot. So I've decided to go with 30ltr pots for 12 fast flowering plants. Plants will have no cover at all apart from the ferns & brambles blocking what people can see from the outside. I'm finding it hard to make my mind up with going for proper canna soil or just get a cheap but good grade garden soil? What would u guys do? 

Im taking into consideration how often ill have to water but I know that'll be down to the weather. I will fert feed when plants need. Again many apologies if I've posted in wrong place. I have read page pages in the outdoor forum but can't find anything to match what I'm going through. 

Thank you

to know what kind of soil you have....do this simple test...

now every thing can be soaking wet....in may a very different story...

let me know the result please............

% sand

% silt

% clay

organics will be on top...

How to Determine Soil Type Using Jar Test Method - YouTube

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

@130RMORGA03can you say which fern are growing there.....ferns can be an indicator of acid soil....or can you make a picture ?

brambles have 2 kinds.....1 can be on acid soil..the other likes less acid soil.....can you make a picture ?

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DutchFox said:

@130RMORGA03can you say which fern are growing there.....ferns can be an indicator of acid soil....or can you make a picture ?

brambles have 2 kinds.....1 can be on acid soil..the other likes less acid soil.....can you make a picture ?

I will get back to u tomorrow with info u need & thanks for your time much appreciated 

9 hours ago, DutchFox said:

The ferns are Dryopteris filix-mas Alamy & brambles on the outside are Rubus fruticosus, blackberry's. I've tried uploading photos but it's not working. I'll figure it out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 130RMORGA03 said:

Security wise there's 3 different ways in or 2 other ways out at North of the site. Watering wise I got it sorted plus I work permanent afternoons & my mate works for himself. So I can water in the mornings & my mate in the evenings if needs be

Personally that sounds like an absolute ball ache TBH, and the chances of you getting spotted doing 1-2 visits a day are pretty high. Have you seen the site mid summer? If it's just a bit waterlogged now and we have a summer like last year (apparently this one is going to be hotter and drier) then chances are it will be dry by early may and you could just plant in the soil. 

• Like 2

Dryopteris filix-mas isn't a great fern for determining conditions, the male or buckler fern as it's otherwise known can hack pretty much any soil conditions from proper alkaline to full on acidic and everything in between.

It is one of the most sun tolerant of the wood ferns though so most likely what's in yer spot.

11 hours ago, DutchFox said:

brambles have 2 kinds

Here in the UK we have at least 1000 micro species of rubus sp....

@130RMORGA03 Are you sure it's not Pteridium aquilinum?

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Personally that sounds like an absolute ball ache TBH, and the chances of you getting spotted doing 1-2 visits a day are pretty high. Have you seen the site mid summer? If it's just a bit waterlogged now and we have a summer like last year (apparently this one is going to be hotter and drier) then chances are it will be dry by early may and you could just plant in the soil. 

Your right it is going to be a ball ache but it's gonna be a challenge. The area is through a few very steep fields & I know the area like back of my hand as I've grown up here till my late teens then moved bk 6 years ago. I walk my dog past these spots daily as well. 

Rather than creating a bed for plants could I just dig holes & had my own medium to the holes ready for the plants, what u think? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 130RMORGA03 said:

Now that's a swap, the area were I'm gonna be working in is nothing like that. U went balls deep & kept it moving when other people would of given up. Your a true inspiration to people like me who are gonna give it a go. Read through your diary for an hour and a half. @B-real I can see what u meant by your post. 

Thanks mate.  I felt abit embarrassed by my decision making that year. I had to try and get something from that failure.  I learnt alot from that season. I'd steer clear from damp plots unless they are completely open 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

Dryopteris filix-mas isn't a great fern for determining conditions, the male or buckler fern as it's otherwise known can hack pretty much any soil conditions from proper alkaline to full on acidic and everything in between.

It is one of the most sun tolerant of the wood ferns though so most likely what's in yer spot.

Here in the UK we have at least 1000 micro species of rubus sp....

@130RMORGA03 Are you sure it's not Pteridium aquilinum?

:yinyang:

There are some slender black brambles up there which are sharp as fuck. On weekend end gonna get into the site & take some pictures & have a good look at the soil. 

Thinking of getting a soil pH tester & have a look at what's going on. 

Im not setting my heart on these sites & will have another wonder about my area. Google earth is good but not really showing me breaks in the trees for sun to break through. 

Maybe I'm just projecting my own misfortune onto you. I lost a plot I'd had for 15 years last season because I was doing a watering trip earlier than I normally would, once bitten twice shy sort of thing. 

Yeah you can totally do that mate, that's more or less the industry standard for GGing, dig a big hole for each plant and fill it with potting mix and fish blood and bone. It can sometimes be less work to just improve on the soil you already have, by the sounds of it yours is pretty heavy/thick so probably not in this case but you could add it to the top few inches to help with water retention.  

The only issue with doing it that way is when you have very heavy soil and a lot of rain. The water soaks into the potting mix very easily but then has no where to go because the native stuff doesn't drain very well and then your roots get waterlogged, something tells me that's not going to be an issue this summer though, unless you really far north/west. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

Maybe I'm just projecting my own misfortune onto you. I lost a plot I'd had for 15 years last season because I was doing a watering trip earlier than I normally would, once bitten twice shy sort of thing. 

Yeah you can totally do that mate, that's more or less the industry standard for GGing, dig a big hole for each plant and fill it with potting mix and fish blood and bone. It can sometimes be less work to just improve on the soil you already have, by the sounds of it yours is pretty heavy/thick so probably not in this case but you could add it to the top few inches to help with water retention.  

The only issue with doing it that way is when you have very heavy soil and a lot of rain. The water soaks into the potting mix very easily but then has no where to go because the native stuff doesn't drain very well and then your roots get waterlogged, something tells me that's not going to be an issue this summer though, unless you really far north/west. 

Im at a latitude of 51. I'll know more on the weekend about the mud at the site & let u know

• Like 1

In thats case I'm pretty sure waterlogging will be the last of your worries, the fact it's a bit quagy now might even be a good thing, it should mean it will be one of the last places to dry out.

Be prepared for the fact that you will probably still be needing to water them even though there in the ground, I'm lat 52 over in the east and we didn't get any rain for 6 months, we had the odd spatter here and there but it all evaporated before it could soak in. 

• Like 2