DWC how soon should the roots be visible in pots

stoner

hi all, 1st time doing DWC and curious as to how long it should take before the roots should be visible?

im on day 13 and cant see anything yet, the seeds went in to a 1 inch rockwool cube (devils spawn i know) to be sown then into the pots with clay pebbles, i dont have the net pots in the bucket yet so have been top feeding twice a day, once in the morning around 7-8 and around 5-6 at night, the net pots are covered all around to stop any light getting in.

i know 13 days isn't long so am i a tad impatient or maybe watering too much/often, i literally water until the cube is full and water drains out the bottom of the pot

any advice greatly appeciated

I don't grow in hydro anymore,

but I can offer some help.

Be careful not to overwater roots

especially in rock wool.

This is why folk don't like it ?

It retains too much water and doesn't allow for a good amount of Oxygen,

only what's dissolved in the water :( .

perhaps @badbillybob @stu914 @stu sleeper 20vt can offer some suggestions :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

up to tow weeks depending on the amount of area(pot size) they have to take up.

Usually potting up to a lager pot takes about two weeks to fill up..  or so.

Then up again until you are at the size you want to flower at with a root zone that fills the area and takes up water and nutes properly.

with out being over watered in a pot that is too big with a root zone that does not take up the entire area..

hope this helps

• Like 2

This what I do to promote a decent rootball before going in to any system...especially dwc....

Mesh pot inside solid pot same size, water from above...

Rockwool is the devil's own...

large.SSCN0976.JPG

• Like 4

Personally I would just put them into the dwc. I don't use rock wool i use root riot cubes but seedlings can go into the dwc day 1 no problems with those 13 days old should be plenty strong enough. I put about an inch of pebbles into the pot raise the water in the dwc so it's bubbling at the pebbles. Drop the seedling on top and fill up with more pebbles.

Obviously yours are already in the pots but I would raise water level so it's just hitting the bottom of the pot air pump on max and job done.

large.IMG_20210103_143837.jpglarge.20200226_191354-1494x2656.jpg

There's 2 of mine in the dwc day 1. I have never used rock wool but can't see it being a problem 

• Like 2

Just now, stu914 said:

This what I do to promote a decent rootball before going in to any system...especially dwc....

Mesh pot inside solid pot same size, water from above...

Rockwool is the devil's own...

large.SSCN0976.JPG

So what do u start the seeds in?

I have wrapped around the pot and covered most of the to in order to try and help

• Like 1

I use either root riot or rootit, much of a muchness really but they work...

I use the solid pot surround the mesh one as there is a gap at the bottom between them giving the roots space to grow into.

By going into dwc too early you run the risk of only a few roots leaving the mesh pot, my way gives this sort of root system...

large.SSCN1863.JPGlarge.SSCN1862.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stu914 said:

I use either root riot or rootit, much of a muchness really but they work...

I use the solid pot surround the mesh one as there is a gap at the bottom between them giving the roots space to grow into.

By going into dwc too early you run the risk of only a few roots leaving the mesh pot, my way gives this sort of root system...

large.SSCN1863.JPGlarge.SSCN1862.JPG

Ok @stu914 what size mesh pots do you use from start to finish and were did you get them metals rings that are round your pots for tieing down cheers mate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zen-ken said:

What light/conditions have you got them under ?

A picture would be helpful :yep:

I've tried uploading to the gallery but it's a fecking nightmare, 1st they were too big, so made them smaller, now get a 200 error message, literally been trying for 29 minutes now. 

ETA

didnt work on my phone but managed to upload on my laptop, when i try to add the images to the thread i just get a circle spinning constantly

ETA2

installed firefox and it worked fine :yinyang:

Edited by stoner
update

large.IMG_20230131_074346_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074252_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074249_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074247_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074155_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074214_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074220_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074225_copy_600x800.jpglarge.IMG_20230131_074135_copy_600x800.jpg

7 hours ago, zen-ken said:

What light/conditions have you got them under ?

A picture would be helpful :yep:

so, still trying to add pics to the thread

tent is 1.2 x 0.6

light currently on 400w  (probably too much?)

600w extractor and passive intake

oscillating fan for air movement

forgot to mention these are autos inder 20 hours of light

Edited by stoner
to add pics
  • Like 1

I would tip it out and have a look at the roots, those pebbles look very dry as well.

At this stage of growth in pebbles you should be watering and feeding several times a day.

Best way is to dunk the whole pot in a bucket of water/feed rather than hand water from the top

unless you set up an automated feed system like mine...plenty of pics in my profile...

I removed half the clay this morning and there are a decent amount of roots they're just not out the pots yet

Normally when I water I move the pebbles to the side and water the rockwool only then replace the peebles

• Like 1

As the roots are out of the rockwool cube it's now difficult to overwater so just dunk the whole thing up to the rim,

no need to remove or disturb the pebbles...:yep: