Is G.A Extra Traces essential?

Notorious B.U.D

2 hours ago, Notorious B.U.D said:

leave out the Humates :yep:

From a cleanliness perspective, I get it, but the humates are the good bit tbh lol they act as chelators for nutrients making them more available, it also goes some way to homogenising cannabinoid ratios across the whole plant, rather than the highest amounts being found on the top of the plant. 

2 hours ago, Notorious B.U.D said:

So basically what your saying is I’m better off sticking with G.A Nutrients and their Extra Traces

meh... not necessarily. If you want really clean (as in, clean equipmet and tanks that is) then maybe give Dutch Pro ago. Their ratios aren't too different to Growers Ark and it actually has less phosphorous than all other brands, which is pretty cool. Just run the canna trace or Growers Ark extra traces with the range at half of the lowest dilution rate and work your way up. 

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 1

@GSZZ Yeah I know the Humates are quite beneficial mate i have added them separately to my nutrient solutions in the past before using G.A but I’m just not sure how effective they are if it’s all settled out to the bottom of the tank and not held in suspension? I’m not too worried about having a clean system as such cuz it’s not like I’m really at risk of getting any blockages or whatever but from past experience I find it’s best to just use basic synthetic nutes in the tank especially if it’s going to be hanging around for any length of time and is on an auto feed set up, however if I hand feed I do consider adding non synthetic additives as they are added freshly to my mix at every watering when feeding the plant like I’m basically doing now when I add Roots Exelurator to their feed.

Thanks for your help :yep:

1 hour ago, Notorious B.U.D said:

but I’m just not sure how effective they are if it’s all settled out to the bottom of the tank and not held in suspension?

I only use a MJ1000 in the bottom of 250/400L tanks and thats plenty agitation to keep it all mixed up. Granted theres a bit of sponging to be done between tank changes but its not causing blockages or anything, its more of a staining. But then, I size so my tanks don't quite last a week so I am regularly changing them. If you're going longer than 6/7 days then I guess the issue is worse? 

• Like 1

I don’t use a pump to agitate the solution in the main tank I’m still using air stones which I know isn’t ideal and not recommended anymore but I do have many a mj1000 lying around so it’s not like I couldn’t add one to the setup I’d just have to suspend it from the bottom of the tank to stop the sound of the vibration coming through the ceiling when it’s on, that’s mainly the reason why Ive just using air stones. 

But in my small 20L bucket that I use as a small feed tank usually for my mothers I do have a small mj400 pump inside constantly on and even then the Humates still settle out to the bottom and sides so idk, sometimes I can have a tank for around 3-4 weeks  like now as I made up a 200L tank last Sunday and as I’m only feeding my mothers and small plants in veg at the moment it should easily last 3 weeks and you may think that would make the issue worse which it probably does slightly but I notice that the Humates always settle out to the bottom of a fresh tank I’ve made in about 3 days anyway :unsure:

I think I may give the mj1000 a try on the next tank change though just to see if it makes some/any difference to the amount of time the Humates stay in suspension, may as well if I already have one to hand :yep:

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, grower951 said:

@GSZZ A quick one mate, what is the main difference between extra traces and first feed, if any at all? 

First Feed has low levels of NPK but full strength trace minerals. Extra traces is just the trace minerals on their own, used in combination with grow and bloom.

• Like 1

@GSZZ how much do you give of traces?

Same amount from clone to flower? In flower as well,how much per l?

Any favorite brands except GA?

Edited by Herbal Kint
  • Like 1

@Herbal Kint the traces are applied dependant on how much A&B you use. 

Always make up to 5ml with traces 

ie - 2ml A&B + 3ml Xtra traces

3ml A&B + 2ml Xtra traces

And so on…. If you ever use 5ml A&B it’s no traces. Only ever needed 3ml at the most.

Not sure others would work that definitely GSZZ’s territory but having said that GA traces are only £20 for 5L 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

All right so am In 3 ml range then as I use only 1EC of food,sums up round 2ml/l of AB. I'll check what's available in my shop

It goes through entire grow I presume,from cut onwards?

• Like 1

i was really disappointed with GA soft water nutes, if i don't use them at 5ml pl i get cal def, if you use at 5ml they burn the leaves.

they sell cal/mag and should just have told me that is what i needed lol

i'm back to using up my GA nutes at 3.5ml and adding cal mag, then i'm going back to organic nutes when used up.

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

i was really disappointed with GA soft water nutes, if i don't use them at 5ml pl i get cal def, if you use at 5ml they burn the leaves.

Overfertilization doesn't cause tip burn, necessarily, letting the medium dry back too much does. Salt outside of its vessel of water in the medium causes water to draw back out of the plants - leaving the "burn" behind. 

Calcium is linked with water transport throughout the plant, watering irregularities that might effect transpiration will show a calcium deficiency. 

Are you still watering by hand? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Are you still watering by hand? 

still? lol

i like watering by hand, i need to feed each plant as i don't do all one clone/seed. they certainly don't all want blasting with 5ml that's for sure. and my watering may not be at professional level yet, but it doesn't have many irregularities considering i'm at work for the best part of the day and i'm not installing any tanks in my bedroom/living room lol

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 13/02/2023 at 5:50 PM, mikeydoughnut said:

@Herbal Kint the traces are applied dependant on how much A&B you use. 

Always make up to 5ml with traces 

ie - 2ml A&B + 3ml Xtra traces

3ml A&B + 2ml Xtra traces

And so on…. If you ever use 5ml A&B it’s no traces. Only ever needed 3ml at the most.

Not sure others would work that definitely GSZZ’s territory but having said that GA traces are only £20 for 5L 

Dont do what I did and think you top up parts A and Parts B to 5ml

Eg 3ml part A grow so 2ml traces needed,

and then 3ml part B grow so 2m of traces needed again

= 4ml traces needed intotal

You just top up the part B bit to 5ml.

I've only mixed up 2 feeds but have already made the mistake above so just incase it helps anyone, thats what I was told you only top up the part b

Edited by Pot of soil
  • Like 2