Hyper sensitivity to THC ?

purepotstill

@purepotstilliI have the same 'problem' although I kind of see it as a positive. I can get away with a small cupboard grow (80watts lighting,2ft square space) once or maybe twice a year and still have leftovers.

My tolerance seems to have been dropping for years, in fact it probably coincided with me starting to vape, rather than smoke. (Maybe 12 years ish). My tolerance seems to have levelled out now, and I can handle more in the evenings compared to the mornings. Of a morning at the weekend, a half bowl in my dynavap would be enough in one go. A ridiculously small amount if you think of it.

Also, you need to try different strains for sure. Even the Cream Caramel Auto for instance, gave me the raised haeartrate/flutters etc if I went a bit far with it. Then I have some other weed, Animal Biscuits subby seeds. That, although being strong bodily effect, has no raised heart rate feelings to it. Weed seems to effect us all slightly differently.

• Like 3

Yeah, another testimony ! :yep: Seems the strain's choice is the path to follow. I'm still on my Purple Sunset/CBD mix today, and it's an enjoyable ride so far. I note the Animal Biscuits suggestion, although I'm not ready to start photos (still that dehumidifier thing I need to buy). Do the forum seeds' always regular or there's some fem too ?

Another point I was thinking about : the harvest window may have an impact. Maybe harvesting later with more amber trichomes could help with that ?

I forgot how active this forum is! You've had some awesome responses already. I am not a medical professional but have some experience of this. I think this is a combination of several factors but as you don't seem to be getting 'the fear' but more of a physical bad vibe, I suspect an overactive amygdala which could be triggered by trauma or prolonged periods of stress resulting in a form of anxiety.

This is exacerbated by THC because the initial upramp from vaping can cause an increase in heart rate, blood pressure changes etc and due to previous fight or flight responses, your limbic system is misinterpreting these signals as danger and activates safety behaviours. It is a bit self perpetuating because the more you abstain, the more your tolerance drops. It usually calms down after 10 minutes or so, but that's long enough to put you off. You can alleviate this quite a bit by microdosing, and just increasing the frequency. Or using balanced strains or blends and increasing the THC ratio or quantity.

Over time your tolerance increases and your monkey brain shifts its perception of threat and stops yelling so much.

Last time I was active on here, I was posting about this kind of stuff and was vaping CBD flowers and a tiny mouse dropping of hash at bedtime to help me sleep. I couldn't tolerate THC hardly at all for a couple of years or so.

FWIW I can now hit a volcano these days and am back to chilling with high THC (Green Gelato on script currently).

• Like 4

Just now, iShouldCoCo said:

It usually calms down after 10 minutes or so, but that's long enough to put you off. You can alleviate this quite a bit by microdosing, and just increasing the frequency. Or using balanced strains or blends and increasing the THC ratio or quantity.

Thanks for your answer. Never thought it could come from amygdala !! BTW, symptoms stay much longer than 10 minutes. It's more about one hour.

• Like 1

Had a couple of years without smoking or vaping due to this and random chest pains... it helped. When I vaped on returning I was once again overwhelmed with the anxiety and palpatations. I chose to continue and try and build that tolerance up and such scenarious are much less common. I don't think its the strains getting stronger, just a neurological/physiological effect from potential long term use and potentially (possibly meaningless or none affective/none realised) stress/trauma... never the less I continue :D. 16 years of endless daily access to some rather high THC BBC Cheese (until fairly recently) certainly is a use case for psychosis but the strength is in the indivdual tto recognise and respond accordingly I guess. Maybe its just me... i'm under no illusion that heavy use for a long time in the wrong headspace and enviroment is probably not a good thing but I still love weed and always will, just got to respect it a little more these days.

Come to think of it... the strain that got me back to enjoying vaping was some Humboldt Black Dog, lovely indica effect and great to sleep on. Almost nothing in the head. Indica team assemble :D.

Edited by rememberingnever
  • Like 3

I watched a video about Magnesium deficiency in humans and the side effects it causes, this got me researching a little bit to find out this

"The role of magnesium is complex and its deficiency is implicated in a number of nonspecific neuropsychological changes such as agitation, fear, anxiety, depression, dizziness, poor attention, insomnia, and restlessness. Some of these symptoms characterize the mental illness known as neurosis."

This is video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQwR_LmvKnU

Now this may not be your cause but something for others to consider :yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4

On 21/01/2023 at 9:49 PM, purepotstill said:

I'd like to, but bot easy to find something about different terpenes found in a strain. Have a fav one ?

Have look on Dutch Passions site,  they have a Shopping Assistant that lets you search by Terpine profile and they have a rather nifty terpine chart.    

This may let you search the net for strains by the terpine name you seek :yep:        I find Thai / Asian influenced strains to highly pepper influenced some not but quite a few.

All the best finding what you want sir

• Like 3

Well, it's been awhile since I was a heavy user. Was already smoking only a couple of joints in the evening most of the time before my 10 years "break" (was still smoking during holidays).

But coming back to the subject, found than mixing my home Critical Jack with some CBD bought in a shop at 1:1, I had a mild and enjoyable trip. Reinforced with just a micro pinch of kief and it becomes a heavy sleeper. Will start the diary asap. There will be 2 Cream Caramel, 1 Skunk#1 and 1 Alpine Delight CBD, all auto. Was too stone when I ordered the seeds, Sweetseeds Cream Caramel CBD is not auto lol.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

One month later, can say I've definitely adopted the THC/CBD mix. It breaks the anxiety leaving just a mild stoned feeling. Can take numerous hits and get really baked without getting hypochondriac :smokin:. Half of each was a bit too light, found myself adding a bit of kief to help, but around 75% THC/25% CBD is perfect, even paired with some more sativa strains.

Will have to grow some next time, except if hybrids like the Cream Caramel CBD I'm currently growing satisfy me as much.

Edited by purepotstill
  • Like 5

So I ended up shortly after my first post in this thread, whilst trying to find out what was responsible for the flavor in a particular plant I had that resembled a nutmeg flavor/odour, I ended up in a little bit of a wormhole. Involving Terpines/Phenolic Compounds/Tripterpines and all that jazz whilst watching and reading a few Ethan Russo talks and science papers. Its quite amazing how the terpines are actually quite responsible for many of the feelings we generally assosciate THC/CBD ratios with. Myrcene probably being the most common one, known to have a strong narcotic effect and a response to drugs used to help with opiod overdoses. Its quite interesting seeing how these different compounds and lesser known terpines are actually vital to the overall effect of the plant as medicine and I'm actually rather in love with the whole area at the moment :D.

• Like 5

On 21/01/2023 at 9:05 PM, Boojum said:

I'd ask what folks here recommend a good chilled out, no anxiety kinda strain is to grow :)

I was recommended Cream Caramel and it's a really nice, chilled out smoke :)

(I kinda micro-dose, a couple of tokes of a spliff lasts me for an hour or two, until I start drinking :bag: )

Very late on the topic, but all I smoke is indica dominant strains. Sativa dom and I loose it, so don't grow it or use it.Try some afghan kush.

Toke...

• Like 2

Really interesting thread....I've been growing a variety of fastbuds autos for Iver a year now and settled on the Stawdawg as my preferred strain. Problem is I feel I've really got the "growing process" nailed and my latest yield is literally blowing my head off everytime I smoke it.

So I just make a single Skinner last a full day which is great because it will last much longer 

Light weight me

(but my absolute favourite is a spoonful of my special honey in my Saturday morning coffee)

• Like 1

I'll only grow high cbd/low thc strains for this reason, you couldn't pay me all the money in the world to smoke a high thc strain

I do believe anxiety and weed is far more complex than just thc and cbd ratios thou

I'm sure a lot of it is linked to how we feel as a person at the time we are smoking too, I like smoking more when im having and I think that's just because I feel far more relaxed 

Edited by cannaboy_420
  • Like 2