Hyper sensitivity to THC ?

purepotstill

Hi everyone,

want to talk about something affecting me since a few years. I'm becoming more and more sensitive to THC, and have to reduce the dose month after month. It could be linked to vaping, as I began it when I took cannabis up again after a long break.

If I take today what was a normal dose for me, got my heartbeat rate increasing quickly and strongly feel it in my body. It's a strong physical sensation, and not an enjoyable one. It's especially uncomfortable when going to bed, as I just can't fall asleep feeling the blood running in my veins. Add a little paranoia and you have a great combo to have a bad night. Even at other moments, it just gets me too stone to make anything.

To summarize, I began vaping a full basket of weed in a Tetra P80 and finishing the bowl. Then I've reduced the dose to half. Now, I'm using the Tinymight more, it's the same. I've set the cooling unit fully down, and recently I've found I just don't want to finish the bowl in a single session. I just take a puff then wait a couple of hours before finishing it. If I want a quick session before sleeping and don't want to let the weed inside the vaporizer, I divide that already tiny dose by two or three. Yeah, that's micro-dosing...

What strikes me is that it should be the contrary : I should have built a tolerance instead of getting more and more sensitive. The only explanations for me are that strains are getting stronger and stronger, and vaping is way more efficient than smoking. And something in my body doesn't tolerate high level THC as younger. So I'm going to try THC/CBD strains which should have less THC inside (and because I've enjoyed CBD's effect). And continue to microdose high THC strains (bought some seeds I just don't want to throw away).

Have anyone here experienced the same symptoms ? I'm curious about it, so tell me what your experience was !

Edited by purepotstill
  • Like 1

I have experienced this, I will make effort to type up my experience later when I have a proper keyboard but can I ask, have you been diagnosed with anxiety/depression or think you might be if you described your symptoms to a medical professional? I don't just mean how you feel after vaping but also in other life situations, social or stressful occasions for example. No wrong answer, it's just that your response will change the flavour of my full account based on how relevant it is to you.

• Like 3

Really don't feel like someone depressed. Got a happy family life, stable job, friends, a musical band, and I practice some sport daily these times (mountain bike). Got a good life. That said, I can get nervous quickly in some stressful situations, especially when aggressive people are involved.

To talk about weed, I feel great after vaping if I microdose. That's why I didn't stop it.

• Like 4

Sounds like anxiety. I have to select the strains I grow quite carefully cos I don't get on with 'uppy' strains, they exacerbate my anxiety, which then feeds on itself and I find that weed kinda amplifies my feelings, which makes the anxiety feeding on itself worse. It's not necessarily about THC for me, I'm currently smoking Sweet Seeds Cream Caramel which is listed as around 20% THC, higher than I normally go for, but it's a mellow, non-anxious smoke for me (which is why I chose it after asking for a strain recommendation a while back).

• Like 6

Thanks for kicking this off sir :yep:   

Im an old git ,  i have smoked all my days  , cigs  & our fine plants,  for years it was only solids then green became a thing.

I was a very light smoker   1 or 2 smokes a month by choice,  as such im a lightweight and a decent joint ruins me for hours.

Im now strictly , MCT / Oils and Edibles only ,  even the Solo 2 vape  i recently bought has been passed on to someone that will make use of if. 

I find some sativa leaning strains to be way too much , too intense / racy / para inducing  and as such i normally grow hybrids leaning on the indica side  & heavy  indica  and seem to be in control again. 

Moving forward and for medicinal purposes im staying firmly with a broad spectrum mix as this seems to agree with me and quite effective with pain control

I also add CBD to the mix as i find the CBD comes into its own better when i add it to the broad spectrum mix.    Works for me. 

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 10

Also (sorry off topic) if you're getting a racing heart (either cos of weed or anxiety lol ) give the 4-7-8 breathing technique a go. Breathe in for the count of 4, hold the breath for the count of 7 then breathe out for the count of 8 and then repeat a few times (doesn't have to be 4 seconds, 7 seconds and 8 seconds, the individual time periods don't matter as long as the ratio of 4/7/8 is kept). It really does help slow your heart down and calm a panic attack :) E2A Can also help with insomnia :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 8

@purepotstill I too have suffered like this for the last few years. I find the same as what @Boojum says head high uppy weed no longer agrees with me I now call that heart attack weed lol, some old school strains may be worth looking at I seem to be getting on much better with the subbies Cheese x Blue Digiberry. I also pay more attention the effects a stain is reported to have before I buy them.

I also mix my THC weed with CBD when I'm smoking blunts and mix a ratio of 3 to 1 CBD/THC

large.20221007_223424.jpg

It's funny that you mentioned vaping, my problems started around the time I got my Dynavap 2017 and even tho I hardly used it at first I wonder if it's linked. Could be another thing added to the list of things bad about dry herb vaping, I did also have a traumatic event happen in my life about a year later but the anxiety symptoms was something that just got worse gradually from buying the dynavap.

I was at one point just even the thought or mention of my wellbeing would trigger it, lately I seem to be in a better head space when it happens, I think this is due to how long I've been dealing with it that I can convince my brain easier that everything is going to be fine and that it hasnt caused me to die, the adrenaline dumps don't help lol, I still have to avoid over doing it with high strength THC but some more than others.

I'll stop waffling now lol

• Like 7

@Boojum: great advice, I'll try it as soon as needed !!

Wanted to order some THC/CBD seeds from Sweet Seeds, might add some Cream Caramel Auto, as it seems most of the strains I have are at least 40% Sativa. Got some indicated as "Indica Dominant", like Dinafem Cheese XXL Auto and Philopher's Seeds Wedding Cake Auto, but with not much more info. Got a bunch of photoperiodic Indica seeds (can't remember the strain, it was a freebie), but they must have to wait for me to buy a dehumidifier, my grow room's too damp for a 12h night period.

@OldFordand @Military Grade: happy to know I'm not alone ! lol You guys think a pure CBD/pure THC strains mix is more effective than a THC/CBD hybrid strain ?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, purepotstill said:

You guys think a pure CBD/pure THC strains mix is more effective than a THC/CBD hybrid strain ?

As I like to smoke a blunt once a day I do find it easier to find the right dosage of both if I use pure CBD stains and pure THC strains and then mix them myself in different ratios/volumes until I find the sweet spot, this is also handy when making dry herb vape mixes, with 1:1 like strains it does making it harder and I still find myself having to mix pure CBD strains to them anyways. I'm not saying not to grow 1:1 tho I still grow them from time to time and just use them to mix with pure CBD strains as if they was pure THC strains if you know what I mean.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

@purepotstill  Wooo Hoooo  i can tag :yahoo:       Yes sir ,  whether its science or mind tricks i dont know but i firmly believe in my case i get greaqter results using a single mixes and then blending ,  i found it way easier to dial in my pref mix.  Dont forget each run will produce a slightly diff nugget with the same cultivars let alone changing cultivars  and as such the mix will continue to vary slightly..     

I find it easier to trial each of the THC & CBD to get a fell for them before mixing.       

Good luck with it & all the best with getting your right blend sir :yep: 

• Like 4

This is just a very uninformed opinion, I don't really know anything about cannabinoids and stuff, but I think it's about a lot more than just THC and CBD, I've had low THC/high CBD strains that still took me to that anxious place (when I'm thinking about shit, and thinking about thinking about shit, which makes me more anxious, and I'm thinking about the anxiety, which makes me more anxious etc in a spiral :headpain:), I've also had relatively high THC/mid-low CBD strains that haven't had a hint of the bad thought/anxiety spiral. So I think there must be more cannabinoids (or whatever) involved :unsure:

E2A It's why I'm not into all this breeding plants for percentage of THC and shit. I much prefer the idea of crossing strains cos you like the effects :) it's the quality of the high/stone that matters, not the magnitude IMHO

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 6

Another reason for me going the straight THC & CDB ways then blending is simply  ,

i have developed a friendship with a rather special & caring person who drops me off wide spectrum MCT  ,  i have no control over the blend  , its simply a big heart'd person genuinely caring & helping others and im eternally grateful to them l :yep:     so my mix & blend is easier to blend into 1 from the 2 bottles.      

Edited by OldFord
Spelling ...as usual
  • Like 4