Acclimatisation

Ghilliee

In an attempt to get a bit of a head start on the better weather, I plan on starting indoor a few weeks before planting out - I have a few questions; 

Whats the process for acclimatisation? I have been advised a few days in a shady corner. Any more to add onto this or is it as simple as? 

I have a mixture of autos and fems, if anyone has anything to chip in about starting indoors to transplant outdoor at a later date please feel free- Ie; anything to to be gained starting autos indoors? 

24 minutes ago, Ghilliee said:

In an attempt to get a bit of a head start on the better weather, I plan on starting indoor a few weeks before planting out - I have a few questions; 

Whats the process for acclimatisation? I have been advised a few days in a shady corner. Any more to add onto this or is it as simple as? 

I have a mixture of autos and fems, if anyone has anything to chip in about starting indoors to transplant outdoor at a later date please feel free- Ie; anything to to be gained starting autos indoors? 

I think with autos you pretty much want to put them in their final pot straight away if possible. So if transplanting to a Guerilla Grow I'd go as large a pot as possible.

You could start your auto's indoors. You need 12-15 degrees before you move them outside.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

You can check yer last predicted frost date online, I wouldn't start trying to put anything out before then really

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 3

So just to clarify, I intend on plant out mid may- it served me well previously. 

What I’m wondering is wether I can move ladies from indoor environment straight outside? Or if there is an acclimatisation period? 

For example leaving them in a shady corner for a few days?  A week? 

4 minutes ago, Ghilliee said:

So just to clarify, I intend on plant out mid may- it served me well previously. 

What I’m wondering is wether I can move ladies from indoor environment straight outside? Or if there is an acclimatisation period? 

For example leaving them in a shady corner for a few days?  A week? 

Straight outdoors unless your in a heat spell with blinding sunshine, you don't need an acclimatisation period otherwise. Not in Northern European lats, with either photos or autos, never did it once, straight outside after being under lights. 

• Like 8

Just now, Ch@ppers said:

Straight outdoors unless your in a heat spell with blinding sunshine, you don't need an acclimatisation period otherwise. Not in Northern European lats, with either photos or autos, never did it once, straight outside after being under lights. 

Im up at lat 54 

• Like 1

Just now, Ch@ppers said:

Cool, no acclimatisation. 

Any advice? 

I running a mix of autos and fems, have a couple seasons under my belt but this is the first year I’m starting indoor. 

@Ghilliee I know what you mean. In gardening parlance, "hardening off".

I intend to raise my seedlings on the windowsill initially (if there's space!) then take them to the polytunnel to harden off / acclimatise before planting in the real outdoors. 

That's for autos and photos / semi-autos. Slightly different timings for each. Frostwise, for me should be safe mid-May.

Handy map here if you want to check the averages for your area:

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-united-kingdom-last-frost-date-map.php

• Like 2

Personally for the auto’s I would go with mid June and mid may if you’ve got a semi.But it’s swings and slides. Peace Goohfy. 

• Like 2

large.user406701_pic1853369_1527263127.jpeg.jpglarge.user462206_pic1945785_1557820874.jpglarge.user462206_pic1945782_1557820874.jpglarge.user462206_pic1945784_1557820874.jpglarge.user462206_pic1945330_1557681937.jpglarge.Screenshot_20200821_060920.jpg

The only advice I can give is you don't need to do it on a normal year in the UK, but anyone who wants to do it then harden off if it makes you feel better, we all work differently. 

• Like 8

Think i am with @Ch@ppers don't think there's a need to acclimatize anything.

Think its more to do with timing and getting lucky with the weather if going out early.

May is perfect usually round these parts we get wet warmish and humid usually so great for plants starting out.

• Like 4

Just now, murphyblue said:

Think i am with @Ch@ppers don't think there's a need to acclimatize anything.

Think its more to do with timing and getting lucky with the weather if going out early.

May is perfect usually round these parts we get wet warmish and humid usually so great for plants starting out.

We actually prefer to plant out on an overcast rainy day, the proof is always in the pudding, if hardening off was beneficial trust me, we would have learnt the lesson long ago :yes:

large.large.user462206_pic1930986_1552946554.jpg.81693e1063d21fe3c0b5a8242128daf5.jpg

• Like 3

Just going by the guidance for my area for planting tomato plants outside (not in a greenhouse/polytunnel) it's the first week of June. Autoflowering cannabis probably slightly hardier so shave a week or two off that, mid-May perhaps. Last (predicted) frost is the key limitation as far as I can see. Will vary depending on altitude, coastal or inland area, and latitude. Further north, greater chance of frost later...

• Like 2