Newbie saying hello and a few questions

Stoner McStoneface

Hello UK 420!

I've been reading info on this site for years and have finally decided to join. 

I'm planning on doing a diary of my first grow but was wondering about security.

Other than connection via a VPN, is there anything else that I need to do in order to stay anonymous? I'm not sure about uploading pictures. If I take a picture with my phone connected to a VPN, will the images show as they were taken in the country that I'm connected to? Eg Netherlands? 

Any info on how to stay safe while using the site would be helpful. 

Thanks

Stoner

• Like 7

Hi welcome to the UK420 community :bong:

You have to upload the images to the site before posting them in a message, this helps with security, also using a app to strip them of meta data is good practice just incase there is a bug with the site.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

You have to upload the images to the site before posting them in a message, this helps with security, also using a app to strip them of meta data is good practice just incase there is a bug with the site.

Thank you @Military Grade

• Like 1

hi mac, is the a wee tone off scotttish in you ?  in holland your okay mate an welcome to the green house :toldya:

Edited by geogeo
more info
  • Like 2

Welcome to UK420 :yep:

Stay safe offline too,

no smell 

no tell

no sell.

Don't upload photos with clear identifying marks such as tattoos or fingerprints lol 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 5

On 10/01/2023 at 7:39 PM, geogeo said:

hi mac, is the a wee tone off scotttish in you ?  in holland your okay mate an welcome to the green house :toldya:

Hiya Geo, I did ancestroy DNA last year and I have zero % Scottish blood. My first choice of username was 'bluemoon' but that was already taken so I just tried (and failed obvs) to go with something generic sounding. I probably should of gone with something more Mancunian but I'm not a fan of oasis. I'm more into reggae - maybe chronnix or protoje would of been better but fuck it its done now :smokin: I'm not in holland mate that's just where my VPN connects me :D

22 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

@Stoner McStoneface You will be fine here. Everyone is on the same page. Get a Proton email for added anonymity if you want. Just don't tell us real name is Teddy McTedface.

Please.

Yes Lux thanks for the advice mate! My email address for this account is already a proton email with proton VPN so I'm already on it :yep:

8 hours ago, mysticriver said:

what's that bro?

mystic

I think its :Spam_Icon: mystic, I've been following this site since 2009 so I am very familiar with it? I understand your a regular user of the site mystic, I've seen your posts with some good advice before. Could you @julez? or joolz? I cant remember what his username is but I think you might know what I'm trying to say. I'm sure he'll agree that someone has spammed and remove it :D

E2a - I forgot to say my @ thing isn't working so I can't @julez

Edited by Stoner McStoneface
  • Like 1

Just now, Shumroom said:

Welcome to UK420 :yep:

Stay safe offline too,

no smell 

no tell

no sell.

Don't upload photos with clear identifying marks such as tattoos or fingerprints lol 

Atb

:yinyang:

Thank you shumroom your another person who I've seen a lot good advice from in the past. Your advice has helped one of my mates on a few occasions. Respect is due :notworthy:

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 4:17 PM, Military Grade said:

If you use android, you can press the share button at the bottom of the screen and go into options. From here you can chose to strip the meta data from the image when you share it so when you email it to yourself, it takes the location and time/date etc tags away :yep:

My android removed that option and replaced it with a simple on and off switch, the thing is there will still be meta data there if you use the right tools to retrieve it, so always best to be thorough:yep:, then there's no need to send it to yourself and save you a lot more time logistically.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1