Air exchange

Ecto

Hey, quick one for you pros out there, I have a 80x80 tent in my shed pulling fresh air from outside 8” duct then I have a 6” duct connected to my ec fan sucking the hot air out! 
my question is do I need this running 24/7 on low setting for the whole grow cycle?? As this time of year it’s making the temps to low! Could I get away with no extraction fan for a few weeks until it warms up a bit? 
cheers 

3 minutes ago, Black Shadow said:

What do you mean by “ec” fan?

Sorry probably wrong term I just mean silenced fan 

intake 8 inch? outlet 6inch? you need negative pressure to stop smells. 

You need it running 24/7 to stop smells and provide fresh air

I have mine set to speed 1 during cold and i seem to be doing fine

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

I would not grow without extraction through a carbon filter unless somewhere legal

Even early one when it is not giving off any smell 

• Like 1

Just now, Ecto said:

Even early one when it is not giving off any smell 

I wouldnt, im nose blind, i wouldnt even know they ponged until the neighbours say something 

• Like 2

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

intake 8 inch? outlet 6inch? you need negative pressure to stop smells. 

You need it running 24/7 to stop smells and provide fresh air

I have mine set to speed 1 during cold and i seem to be doing fine

The tent sucks in slightly when running on 20% which I’m told is what u want

• Like 1

If your plants are still young then you can get away with just exchanging the air once an hour.I personally don't since I got the new fan as you can run it so low that it's easy to manage temp and humidity but when I had my other fan I would run it 15 on and 15 off if I needed to extra heat & some members (names escape me) have said that they don't use extraction at all for the first 3wks.

I would switch the 8" ducting for two sections of 4 or 5" though.

• Like 1

That's fine then. You are maintaining negative pressure

You can get away in early veg to keep the humidity and temps up having the extraction off but I wouldn't recommend further down the line. Plants need fresh air to breathe and extraction too

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Black Shadow said:

What do you mean by “ec” fan?

EC Stands for Electrically Commutated, where AC and DC voltages are combined to provide the best of elements of both technologies. The motor runs on a DC voltage, but with a normal AC supply. EC fans are capable of intelligent speed control – further reducing energy consumption. They don't hum or get hot when reducing speed and are brushless. If you want potential fine stepless control these are good. These fans don't fret having their speeds changed regularly. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

If your plants are still young then you can get away with just exchanging the air once an hour.I personally don't since I got the new fan as you can run it so low that it's easy to manage temp and humidity but when I had my other fan I would run it 15 on and 15 off if I needed to extra heat & some members (names escape me) have said that they don't use extraction at all for the first 3wks.

I would switch the 8" ducting for two sections of 4 or 5" though.

Thanks bro, only have one intake hole in the tent hence the one 8”

my fan controller that came with the fan only goes down to 20% power unfortunately wonder if there is a way to make it go 10% 

15 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

That's fine then. You are maintaining negative pressure

You can get away in early veg to keep the humidity and temps up having the extraction off but I wouldn't recommend further down the line. Plants need fresh air to breathe and extraction too

Cool, my fan will kick in and then cut out if it gets above 29c so I do get some fresh air coming in just need to keep temps until March time I quess 

@Ecto if you have vent flaps then I'd still switch it out for a 5" and then you can adjust the flaps to get the perfect neg pressure,that's just me though because I over think everything.

• Like 1