2023 Season

Alskae

Just now, DutchFox said:

mmm....are you sure its not an old chemical dumping site....?....try to google the history of the plot....

I just had a quick look nothing about chemical dumping there's a farm building like 5 minutes away I think it's just stuff they've dumped there as a quick way of getting rid of it, nothing else other than big slabs and blocks and stuff all been there a good while as they're covered in moss

3 hours ago, B-real said:

I dug a nice sized pit for water at on spot this year I'm trying to minimise or no carrying water to plots.

Any one know if a tarp is OK instead on pond liner and pond membrane 

Kids padding pool will do the job..cheap enough

• Like 4

1 hour ago, B-real said:

I've left water in 2 litre bottles in a bush for the season using tap water .

Yeah each time I've been so far hauled about 15L with me incase of any drought been 3 times so far will need to visit maybe another 2 3 times before everything is complete on the plot so I'll be taking more then aswell as backup

51 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

to fill a water hole you need extra square meters of tarp.....say 5x4 meter is 20m2.

1 mm of rain is 1 liter......so you get 20 liters with that tarp...

10 mm rain is 200 liter....

if you use pots....take out 90% of the bottem for the roots....

not 100%...then the pots tent to sink in the bottem....

Okay mate I'll get a bigger tarp just don't want it to be too big then have people seeing it, if all goes well they'll be drinking loads of water and some of them I have to do in pots and I've heard a lot of people say now they don't preserve moisture well enough and dry out in pots. Can anyone think of anyways to help preserve the moisture in the soil for the ones in the pots? Like maybe putting something at the bottom to catch the water runoff so it can absorb once it's dried out a bit more.

Also what did you mean by take out 90% of the bottom for the roots?

Edited by Alskae

1 minute ago, Alskae said:

Can anyone think of anyways to help preserve the moisture in the soil for the ones in the pots

Get em straight in the ground mate.. cut the bottoms off the pots and bury those girls..pots will try out far too quick and will require regular watering.. :yep:

1 hour ago, DutchFox said:

if you use pots....take out 90% of the bottem for the roots....

not 100%...then the pots tent to sink in the bottem....

These were in pots, don't use them nowadays as too labour intensive, but they worked well back in the day :yinyang:large.gallery_44344_4738_115577.jpg

• Like 3

If you hide the bottle under undergrowth etc, that will limit the light and bin bags would probably be fine. 

like others have said, I don’t think rancid water will affect your plants too much, but I’d still try and do a bit like

@Revive is right @Alskae they will do way better in the ground.

The 12l pots u got for the autos are way to small u will be there everyday watering them in the summer.

If u do use the fabric pots clear the ground underneath and half bury them it does work nice gentle compost mix in the pots to start them off and get them going.

Funny thing it wasn't a gorilla that inspired me it was a sheep. lol

Who is also a big fan of a paddling pool or 2 just been looking myself for next season and found one that will hold nearly 1000l for under £20 on the river site got pretty dinasaurs on the outside. lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, murphyblue said:

@Revive is right @Alskae they will do way better in the ground.

The 12l pots u got for the autos are way to small u will be there everyday watering them in the summer.

If u do use the fabric pots clear the ground underneath and half bury them it does work nice gentle compost mix in the pots to start them off and get them going.

Funny thing it wasn't a gorilla that inspired me it was a sheep. lol

Who is also a big fan of a paddling pool or 2 just been looking myself for next season and found one that will hold nearly 1000l for under £20 on the river site got pretty dinasaurs on the outside. lol

Okay thanks for the advice I'll half bury the ones I do in the pots, luckily I've found another area which I'm planning on doing a good few in ground the soil quality looks a lot better and a lot less muddy looking than the spot in the pictures in my first post on this thread. Going to dig a load of holes and fill with the comp which I was asking about whether it was okay to use or not and with some added Perlite aswell, I have about 30L of Perlite and about 700L total of comp though so doubt it's going to make much difference when I spread it across.

Also with the paddling pool are you on about the small solid ones or the inflatable ones cause my first thought is with the inflatable ones is that a bird would probably land on it and pop it haha.

Edited by Alskae
  • Like 1

Don't really need tubs or pots for autos,a lot of people make the mistake of over complicating the game.Seen some decent sized  autos grown sans pots. large.P1030717.JPGlarge.user406701_pic1877520_1534793096.jpeg.jpglarge.user406701_pic1877519_1534793096.jpeg.jpglarge.P1030685.JPGlarge.P1030673.JPGlarge.P1030674.JPGlarge.P1030642.JPG

• Like 5

You don't need perlite at all.

Try and add as much of the native soil to ur compost as u can dig out its full of all sorts of good stuff ur compost won't have.

The paddling pool hard sided not inflatable for the reason u said.

@Ch@ppers They look well nice taking everyone's advice then and doing in ground for the autos, photos might do in the 30L pots then move over to ground when they're bigger cause they can handle stress more can't they. Another question I've been meaning to ask is how often have you experienced hermies? Because they are most commonly stress related right so should that be a big concern throughout the season or is it too low of a chance to worry about?

• Like 1

Just now, murphyblue said:

The paddling pool hard sided not inflatable for the reason u said.

We had a few hundred yards of layflat out, rats chewed through it during the winter.

Just now, Alskae said:

@Ch@ppers Another question I've been meaning to ask is how often have you experienced hermies? Because they are most commonly stress related right so should that be a big concern throughout the season or is it too low of a chance to worry about?

Slim chance of hermies nowadays, most breeders have the feminising process down to a T :yinyang:

• Like 2

On 2-1-2023 at 4:18 PM, Alskae said:

large.Screenshot_20230102-133535_Gallery.jpg

Native soil quality is quite poor and is absolutely packed with roots from other plants in the area so I have decided to go with pots more specifically fabric pots as they are easy to transport, light and allow airflow to roots. I've went with 12L pots for the autoflowers and 30L pots for the bigger photoperiods. Any drawbacks from using the fabric pots over being in the ground? I've heard that the roots can get cold and that they need watering more but is there any pros aswell? Like the fact they aren't in competition with any other plants in the area, or is in ground just better in general?

to get air in soil...use cocos or perlite

in the bags of compost there is a tiny bit of verts...usually chemical...they are washed out by rain very quick...so not very helpfull

sofar...i dont hear you about manure...

in this topic below i gave 2 receipts for soil....

vert basis is dried chicken manure ...use 1 teacup for 10 liter of your soil mix...or spotsoil.....no more and no less.  :)

its not expensive...so good for your wallet as well...

Npk 101, Nutes And Ferts. - Page 2 - Guerrilla Growing - UK420

dried chicken manure has:

4/3/3  npk

10% calsium

all micro elements for our plant....

Edited by DutchFox