Newbie Gurrilla Grow Advice

Amateur E

One thing I’m struggling with at the moment is picking my grow site (which I imagine everyone has struggled with at some point haha), I’ve been using Google Maps to scout areas and I went to look at a couple yesterday. I couldn’t get to one as it was down a private road and in daylight so didn’t fancy trespassing in open farmland, the other looked good on Google Maps but when I went to check it out there was a footpath about 10ft away.

Does anyone have any tips or unwritten rules I can follow for finding a grow site?

How clear does the site need to be for sunlight and how much space around the plant is needed? 

• Like 2

spotting is best done all year round....what seems open now....can have good coverage in may till oktober...

well...risky urban plots are surprisingly succesfull... i found....so no need to look for only big rural plots...

if there is 10 feet coverage of some green.....try a couple of plants.....:) 

fotos plants i have approx 2 meters between plants.....autos can be 50 cm..

6 hours of sunlight should be nice...more is better...

also if 50% clouds....light comes also from north.....via the clouds...

just try a lot in your first year....and you learn by experience... :) 

for me...i will have water at all plots nearby this year... ( and pumps and hozes )

i have a couple of plots where a big fallen tree made a water hole....i just made it deeper :) 

succes !

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

spotting is best done all year round....what seems open now....can have good coverage in may till oktober...

well...risky urban plots are surprisingly succesfull... i found....so no need to look for only big rural plots...

if there is 10 feet coverage of some green.....try a couple of plants.....:) 

fotos plants i have approx 2 meters between plants.....autos can be 50 cm..

6 hours of sunlight should be nice...more is better...

also if 50% clouds....light comes also from north.....via the clouds...

just try a lot in your first year....and you learn by experience... :) 

for me...i will have water at all plots nearby this year... ( and pumps and hozes )

i have a couple of plots where a big fallen tree made a water hole....i just made it deeper :) 

succes !

this is great, you’ve put my mind at ease quite a lot Thankyou! 

I’m thinking of maybe doing a few plots with a few plants at each place, then if one location doesn’t work out hopefully another does.

In terms of smell during flowering, do you have a rough idea at what distance you can begin smelling the buds? I know each plant is different but if there a rough distance for autos and for fotos?

Making some kind of water hole is a great tip, saves me carrying litres of water haha

thanks @DutchFox

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amateur E said:

One thing I’m struggling with at the moment is picking my grow site 

That is the hardest and most important part of a successful grow find the right spot and the battle is half won be lucky:yinyang:

• Like 6

On 23/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Ch@ppers said:

And Slippy

Yea, just named a few of the diaries that are top reads, anyone who gets out and does it year in year out is a legend, balls of steel the lot of yous :yep:

• Like 3

Google earth is just a rough guide for areas to scout. There’s no substitute to getting those walking boots on and putting in the miles :yinyang:

Personally I don’t worry about smell, it just seems to dissipate outdoors. And yes to multiple plots, always spread your bets.

Edited by Aphatspliff
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, bfehillbilly said:

That is the hardest and most important part of a successful grow find the right spot and the battle is half won be lucky:yinyang:

48% plot, 48% genetics, 3% getting them in, 1% maintenance.  

Being a good 'grower' is mostly just doing the right thing in the right place at the right time. Millions of years of evolution has done the hard work.

20 hours ago, Amateur E said:

looked good on Google Maps but when I went to check it out there was a footpath about 10ft away.

There's a site called 'wheres the path' which has satellite imagery side by side with OS maps.  Or if your'e looking in one area, buying a map ins't such a bad idea. If nothing else it functions as a good prop to hold upside down and squint at when you are trespassing across farmland.  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

48% plot, 48% genetics, 3% getting them in, 1% maintenance.  

1% maintenance? I don't agree, nor the %'s, the game isn't as simple a break down % wise, some seasons maintaining a plot plays a very important part of a successful season :yinyang: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ch@ppers said:

1% maintenance? I don't agree, nor the %'s, the game isn't as simple a break down % wise

It wasn't supposed to be some super serious breakdown of importance more just highlighting that the plot and genetics are the main things.  

I get what you're saying but ultimately you choose to grow somewhere or something that could require more maintenance, because it's worth it for other reasons.  In the right place with right genetics you might go back to chuck some slug pellets down and tred on nettles, if that. 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 2

Anyway, my point was that it's mostly nature at work with a little tweak or helping hand from us...  

Pretty sure last year dorn had an MWF x Viking volunteer end up as a 9ft fully laden beast with zero human intervention.  Im still trying to figure out if that was the epitome of being a good grower or not.   

• Like 2

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

Anyway, my point was that it's mostly nature at work with a little tweak or helping hand from us...  

Did you do some sort of grow on a raft Ama? I haven't seen it, I was told about it, did it work out? 

30 minutes ago, Ch@ppers said:

Did you do some sort of grow on a raft Ama? I haven't seen it, I was told about it, did it work out? 

Yeah but only to bring on seedlings. Same principle as the storage box thing only the cap mat covered XPS boards are on a natural body of water.  

It worked but couple things would tweak if doing again.  Obviously massive risk reduction compared to bringing on indoors / transporting / loading makes it worth pursuing as a technique.   

I have thought about doing similar with some autoflowers in a coir / osmocote mix, for whole life cycle.  One of them things I'l probably never get round to though.  

• Like 2

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

Yeah but only to bring on seedlings. Same principle as the storage box thing only the cap mat covered XPS boards are on a natural body of water.  

It worked but couple things would tweak if doing again.  Obviously massive risk reduction compared to bringing on indoors / transporting / loading makes it worth pursuing as a technique.   

I have thought about doing similar with some autoflowers in a coir / osmocote mix, for whole life cycle.  One of them things I'l probably never get round to though.  

Any pics of the end result? I never even saw pics of the raft/boat, we did something similar on the island panic built from scaffolding poles, boards, and marine ply, grew in household bins, even had a full sized shed on the island. 

• Like 7