Huge holes in my leaves - Garage grow

Axiom

• Huge holes!- in my big leaves near top of the plant, huge parts of leaves missing.
  • I haven't defoliated the plants and they are bushy and leaves huge and overlapping in places
  • Plants are otherwise very healthy looking Pineapple Express 2 by g13 seeds. 
  • No sign of eggs or mites. I'm gonna have a better look with a loupe tomorrow.
  • It's a garage with passive intakes and the tent door left slightly open. 
  • Entering week 3 Bloom.. (there was no issues in separate veg tent in different location)
  • humidity is in the 50-60 range but shot up to around 70 last week for a day. 
  • Temps are 23-26c day and 20-22c at night + decent airflow.

Its not an outdoor grow but I'm wondering if maybe slugs get into the garage under doors.
I haven't seen a caterpillar around here for a while but I remember seeing butterflies often in the garage over the years?

SMC is at hand and I did 1/4 strength solution foliar about a week ago but I keep seeing new munched leaves and new holes.

I thought I was going mad at first because there was no way something could be eating that much leaf mass without being noticed by me at some point?
I'm thinking it happens during lights out, then..

The weirdest thing is that this tent was attacked by mites last grow and I didn't do smoke bombs or anything, they seem to have not shown up yet, unless I'm missing something. 

No idea when I can finally post pics.. Gallery permissions are locked at the moment. 

I'm not sure what to do as I don't wanna spray too much SMC as once a week is the recommendation?

Any help much appreciated 

:yinyang:

3 minutes ago, Axiom said:

Gallery permissions are locked

Have you made sure to reduce the file size of each image to no more than 980KB before trying to upload it? 

Atb 

Edited by Shumroom
Eta
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Axiom said:

It's a garage with passive intakes and the tent door left slightly open. 

Have you got an extraction fan? Carbon filter?  Why are you leaving the tent door open? This may allow insects to get into the tent. The passive vents have mesh on them to stop any insects. 

What’s your setup?

Light?

Feed?

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lildaveham said:

Why are you leaving the tent door open? This may allow insects to get into the tent. The passive vents have mesh on them to stop any insects. 

I was worried about airflow coming in too cold near the root zones so I opened the tent door furthest away from the plants at the risk of inviting pests. 

Been using silica too.. I think I may be under watering a bit because the leaves / stems are able to snap and fall off much easier compared to previous grows, but they seem healthy. I just don't have many woody stems..

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

I'm gonna guess caterpillars/sawfly larvae, what do we win?

Woolworths pick n mix and some cotton socks to keep you warm this winter. This is what i suspect also, but I haven't seen the bastards yet, not one of them. 

The 8th pic (3rd from last) is worrying as it looks like something else, fungus / mold / mildew so I'll be busting out the peroxide soon too probably just to safeguard. 

Will SMC combat this issue? I do 1/4 strength as advised in another post which I found on here from another member something about not clogging up stomata etc. How often do I need to rain down with the SMC? It's quite hard to get to the back under all the foliage. I don't want mildew either. Dehumidifier is gonna have to go in soon. I guess its ok that it sounds like a fridge? Noisy things. 

Can't give credit because I forgot who it was.  I'll try make images smaller from now on I didn't realise the difficulty in resizing them in the post.
There's no snow on my shed roof :unsure:

Edited by Axiom

6 minutes ago, Axiom said:

I think I may be under watering a bit because the leaves / stems are able to snap and fall off much easier compared to previous grows, but they seem healthy.

This sounds a bit suspect, do you mean when you put a small amount of pressure on a branch that it snaps? 

Also do you move your plants around a lot? I.e do you take them out of the tent to water. Some of the damage looks like the leaves have been folded or snapped. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Axiom said:

There's no snow on my shed roof :unsure:

Off to home bargains with you asap and clear em out of spray on snow!!

@lildaveham You thinking what I'm thinking bro? Doesn't sound great does it

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 1

@BilgePump

I was but they are fem seeds? Hmmmm has it been confirmed to be in seeds yet? 

I would still like to know if @Axiom has an extract fan as if not they could also be suffocating in the stale air. 

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 3

are the leaves dark green?

if so i think it may be too much nitrogen 

that first pic is classic for it (the evil claw)

a touchy Jamaican grape i think i gave to much nitrogen to, if it is that and you do move or brush past your plants an excess of N can make your leaves brittle 

gallery_12796_2795_3774.jpg

Edited by twigs
claw/pic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

You thinking what I'm thinking bro? Doesn't sound great does it

Lurgy?

E2A Didnae know it had been confirmed in seed stock that's a bit worrying

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lildaveham said:

...when you put a small amount of pressure on a branch that it snaps? 

Also do you move your plants around a lot? I.e do you take them out of the tent to water. Some of the damage looks like the leaves have been folded or snapped. 

Yes, not so much the branches but the huge, face-size fan leaves snap where they join the main stem. 
Fan leaves are huge they shade some of the bud sites. I don't move the plants around much they stay fixed unless im getting them out the trays to cut undergrowth or attempt to clean trays. (I'm bottom feeding).
I wanted everything to bush out before I defoliate, so I've been tucking them every day below prominent bud sites near the canopy.
The weird thing is that these plants visually look healthier than 'stronger / hardy' branches on plants I've grown in the past, in the same tent. hmm..

1 hour ago, lildaveham said:

I would still like to know if @Axiom has an extract fan as if not they could also be suffocating in the stale air. 

Yes, extraction is set at 40-50% on the SMS twin, pulling through a carboair 50mm.
 There may be some air recirculating -> the air doesn't go directly out the building but pushed into the roof cavity which has openings on the side. The idea is to stop heat pissing out as much and keep the bills low until I pull off a half-decent harvest and then upgrade the insulation, ventilation etc. as needed.

I'm feeding Sensi Coco, silica, ignitor, bit of shropshire seaweed once a while. 

Probably not entirely necessary but i've had very hard water and wanted nutes designed for RO.

I was pushing around 1.4EC late veg but then I got dark leaves and slightly yellow tips (not burn) so I suspect @twigs might be onto something. 

Week 3 bloom and I have tapered down to 1.0 - 1.2EC max with no sign of deficiencies and decent growth. 

The holes appeared as soon as they entered flower tent around the beginning of the month. 

1 hour ago, twigs said:

are the leaves dark green?

if so i think it may be too much nitrogen 

that first pic is classic for it (the evil claw)

So yeah a few darker leaves but I figured being indica doms, this is relatively normal. They were blueish green at one point which I knew is bad but I eased up and it seems to be ok.... the was also some clawing in late veg but it seems to have resolved. I wonder if the toxicity is still presenting symptoms that don't go away so easily due to inhibited growth?

the lower leaves, older leaves, are very glossy, shiny... the newer growth is fine and new growth was coming in looking yellow under the hps but lime green during lights off. I use Son-T bulbs in flowering. 

I'm looking at Monterey spray if I find that SMC isn't up for the task but its not cheap! I don't mind so long as it doesn't expire and I presume it is concentrated.

Edited by Axiom
missed a bit and I want an A* on my essay

silica, when i used it, I used too much so only use it once or twice in flower with better results, when i use it (on its own yes?)

no seaweed for a bit maybe too

all advice is always a (high) maybe btw lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Axiom said:

the lower leaves, older leaves, are very glossy, shiny... the newer growth is fine and new growth was coming in looking yellow under the hps but lime green during lights off. I use Son-T bulbs in flowering. 

Really could do with some pics. Do the edges of these leaves curl upwards?