A More Convenient Form Of Neem Oil?

MindSoup

Hello chums 

I've had thrips in my veg box for quite a while now, I've tried a few rounds of predators but they're still managing to hang on. I'm fully organic and have a lot of beneficials in my no till bed that my mum's live on, so I can't just blast them with whatever. Neem is effective but its a pain in the arse as I only ever need a little bit and it doesn't last so I end up wasting a lot of what I mix up.

Is there a more convenient azadirachtin based insecticide out there I could try? Or just any alternative options that will rid me of the little blighters? I want to do a seed run with my mum's but that can't happen until I see the back of them. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I've tried a few rounds of predators but they're still managing to hang on

Have you tried ladybirds bro?

Have you seen the neem blocks, 

they look a bit like the ona blocks. 

I think they just sit in the groom iirc. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

2 hours ago, Revive said:

Have you tried ladybirds bro?

No and funnily enough I was recommended them by a guy on Reddit, might have to give them a whirl, shits getting expensive now, must be 50-69 quid trying to deal with the already. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

No and funnily enough I was recommended them by a guy on Reddit, might have to give them a whirl, shits getting expensive now, must be 50-69 quid trying to deal with the already. 

Thats the prob when trying multiple methods to deal with the same issue.. I know lady bugs are pretty effective for thrips mate so they may be worth a crack..hope you get on top of it buddy :yep:

• Like 1

Most of the places selling them only really talk about aphids so I wasn't all that sure, but that's 2 recommendations now. I'll give it a try mate. 

@Shumroom I had a look at those neem organic control cubes but I don't understand how they work? Are they just a repellent/preventive or do they actively kill pests? Either way they're a good idea. 

• Like 1

Neem block? Neem meal? For thrips you'll need a neem oil spray. The active ingredient in neem stops them eating the plant and this kills the adults, as for larvae, no idea, but you could try a neem drench, just get confirmation from someone who's tried this. The secret of a neem spray is emulsification, I'd been doing ok for years until I found a better technique in shaking the warm oil with water and horticultural soap. 

• Like 2

If thrips are like gnats, another way to kill them is to simply take cuttings, as 2 weeks in high humidity kills any adult or larvae. 

Since switching to  coco coir, I've never seen anything (touch wood). I have a theory that nearly all compost contains many larvae or eggs, thrips, root aphids and gnats, and coco is cleaner. Good luck getting these critters off. :yep:

I'm familiar with using neem, but I've run out, hence trying to see if theirs a more convenient option with the same active ingredient. 

Edited by MindSoup

Looks like you'll need to buy more oil. @twigs not sure I've ever seen a neem powder, does it kill thrips on contact or just to kill larvae? 

• Like 1

@Slippy One really high! so copy pasting lol 

goog- “It is an eco-friendly product that enriches soil with the goodness of organic nutrients. Acts as a natural fertilizer with pesticidal properties. Protects plants from soil-borne pathogens. Helps in getting rid of nematodes, grubs, termites, mites in soil“

large.9A7E3443-35A8-4FAD-989E-7FE73DEA1CFD.jpeg

you can mix it up and spray it too, though i haven’t had to yet since putting it on/in compost, I use SBpi just for general maintenance also

• Like 2

Looks nice mate, do you have to mess around with soaps/emulsifiers when you make a spray? I did have a Google but it didn't have a lot of info on horticultural use. 

Edited by MindSoup