Setting up drain to waste system

Kiprock

Hi to all ,I am in the  process of researching a drain to waste system, I like the coco for cannabis diy guide,so atm I have 4 g.s.c .In the second week of veg,That are in 6.5 liter plastic pots in a 4x4 tent, watering once a day ontill they are fully rooted out,so phase one of my dtw adventure,is to try and get a proper drainage system up and running, carrying pots in and out of the bathroom for runoff is getting old already ,I was thinking about purchasing a 1m x1m flood tray, but I was put off by the shipping cost €££€$$, after looking around I found a new product called 

A Flexi Rez catchment trays by bloomroom and was just wondering if any one out there has any experience with this  flexi drip tray,I think that it's quite new or  at least it is too me. (Phase two )Also thinking about a floraflex open flow bubbler/ manifold or something like the coco for cannabis diy auto watering system , I am  a newbe here and I am loving all the great information available .

Kiprock...

The Flexi Rez catchment trays will be absolutely fine to use I have a few of them myself and they are much easier to store and handle compared to the rigid trays due to them being much lighter and your able to fold to them to get through tight spaces.

So as a basic setup you could just use one of those with your pots sat inside raised up as to not be sat in the run off and then you could manually remove the runoff from the tray into a bucket when needed using something like a fuel transfer pump but if you wanted to go down the fully automatic route I would recommend looking at the Medusa Baseline systems which is what I also use.

• Like 5

I use a 1m square garland tray, and drilled a hole to fix an outlet to which goes into a catchment tank below. The catchment tank has a bilge pump that pumps waste directly into the soil stack in my attic

Manifold wise, the most common recommended here is a 13mm ring which has a bunch of 4mm nipples stabbed into which feeds each dripper

I'll see if I can find the pics

• Like 4

@BushDoctoR and @Notorious B.U.D have said above, tray with pump to a suitable drain or big bucket is what I use.

My auto feeding has gone through a couple of revisions, but the drip ring is easy to make and works well. 

Some build info here:

• Like 2

Don’t forget the merits of a decent condensate pump, built in float switch, easy to plumb in and can pump the runoff anywhere you like, as long as the exit hose is long enough. :yep: 

Huge fan of Danish hydro trays or Medusa trays. Can’t go wrong. :guitar: 

large.604e472988b94_File_000(1).jpeglarge.IMG-0270.JPG

• Like 4

@Slippy One those condensate pumps seem like a good idea I think I remember the idea been posted in the diy section some time ago by @SYZYGY. I was using one of the Medusa brains for the run off but I’ve recently removed it from my setup because the pump in it has become so loud it vibrates through the floor so I was wondering how much noise/vibration does one of those condensate pumps make mate?

• Like 1

@Slippy One ok mate thanks for the info I didn’t realise they were that much £ I thought they may have been cheaper than that so I may just look into replacing the pump on the brain for a better quality one that isn’t so loud, it wasn’t too bad at first but now it makes that really loud rattling/vibrating sound like a pump does when it’s running dry.

I have done the gravity method before but it’s not ideal me having the hose hanging out of the hatch into a jerry can so I’m just using a big tray at the mo and a fuel transfer pump to remove it which does the job fairly quickly and quietly :yep:

Here’s my setup. @Kiprock

I have a few albums where you can see more pics 

-60L res 

-1x garland tray for 2 plants. 
-13mm HDPE and LDPE delivery ring around the plants with elbows and T
-4x4mm lines off the 13mm ring for each plant 

-4mm stop valves for lines 

-13mm stop valve for supply from res

-13mm inline filter for quick disconnect

-hailea HX8810 pump for nutrient delivery 

-hailea HX1500 for nutrient mixing inside res 

-back pressure release valve inside res to stop the ring exploding under pressure. 
-4mm T’s at the end of the lines. 
-25mm bulk head drain for Garland tray. 

first pics are how it is now after I built the new scrog frame you can see the filter that’s used as a quick disconnect. 

personally I like doing a delivery ring rather than a manifold as this gives me the ability to run fully open and flood the plants in 1 minute. 

large.67129A01-F52E-49B7-BF87-E33F72F1E580.jpeglarge.73D1DBB9-6C03-427F-810D-735375FC8BFC.jpeg

large.99B27799-B16E-44FD-A960-7D7A5AC1FFAF.jpeglarge.30C130AC-A225-4AE4-94AF-CB88A7EAB38A.jpeglarge.C30644F9-098E-4A8F-AC05-10F672CD0FFC.jpeglarge.BCB2B2B3-5170-4447-93EF-1A2CCFB2CB3D.jpeglarge.B3C9F6AF-DA6B-4263-84E3-DBE44308E492.jpeg

large.508A1708-73EF-475D-999F-4EFE8B488CD0.jpeglarge.0F520674-49B5-49B0-9190-A6E315BB2B4A.jpeglarge.9712551D-B0D9-406A-BEC7-5284893676D9.jpeglarge.97DA66F0-C92B-419D-A1BC-236A1E46AD3F.jpeg
large.854F16DA-FFA1-4DEC-A4F0-CDFA432D45D5.jpeg

Edited by JonDaMon
Forgot to add the bulk head.
  • Like 4

Adjustable length Danish tray in the bonsai cab with 8 manifold and 750L/hr pump in a 90L reservoir, which includes fish tank heater and MJ500 pump on 24/7 to recirculate water and prevent surface scum. :yep:

@Notorious B.U.D, £50 is a good deal for a powerful float pump in it's own container. Even a decent Maxijet is over £30. That grundig pump even comes with 3m of exit tubing. :yep: 

large.632e360fcaadd_image_6483441(3).JPG

• Like 4

On 03/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, JonDaMon said:

@Slippy One id be worried that end stop on the white tubing would blow off lol  

would be just my luck lol  

With the Icypipe hose, every join needs the hose dipped into boiling water to soften and expand before joining to plastic attachments. When it cools, it’s impossible to remove, as it shrink wraps every elbow or end stop. Not a drop can escape. :yep: 

• Like 1