Curing in plastic

latitude54

Is it possible/sensible to cure in those large plastic tubs that the wife uses to keep cereal in? I can’t get glass jars bigger than 1l locally but can get these plastic things up to 4l. 

I've never tried it, would be concerned about plastic transferring taste/smell. I've kept my daily smoke in plastic tubs & stopped due to a lingering smell so the tubs weren't fully airtight. 

If you can't get glass checkout Grove Bags. Heat sealed gives no smell whatsoever & also great for using for your daily stash in a bag that isn't heat sealed. 

• Like 1

I use food grade plastic tubs. Got em off the big river. 2.5L x 5/6 for about 15 quid. Glass is dear as fuck. Those tubs snap tight. All my tubs have a hygrometer in there they all read 60 - 62. Nowt wrong with the weed. Go for it. For the same volume of glass yer not getting much change outta £70 for Kilners. Probably three times that and caffeine poisoning for dowe Egberts jars

• Like 4

I've used washed out coffee jars for years, I get them free with my coffee and once properly washed and dried there's not a sniff of coffee about them,  and the big jars I use hold an oz perfectly, my group of grow mates now even use the term Jar to denote an oz

:bong:

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Should Know Betterer said:

I've used washed out coffee jars for years, I get them free with my coffee and once properly washed and dried there's not a sniff of coffee about them,  and the big jars I use hold an oz perfectly, my group of grow mates now even use the term Jar to denote an oz

:bong:

This morning I dug out 3 Douwe Egberts jars I've been saving for when I'm short on Kilners.  I'll give them a going over with boiling water to rid them of the coffee smell and yeah they look perfect for around an oz.

• Like 2

Plastics attract Trichomes which is why glass is preferable, saying that... if you can get them, Grove bags are not bad - I'm testing some now. Grove bags can save space vs Jars too as they fit well together in a box and are light AF compared to glass or even plastic jars. With a heat seal you know for sure its airtight too.

• Like 3

I smashed one dowe got one small one .

I'm using snap shut plastic tubs large glass kilners and new to this season better than glass grove bags .

Glass and plastic tubs worked well so far after a long cure u can mylar bag and hair straightener seal them for weekly consumption.

Id have a look at grove bags mate, they're cheap and much easier to handle and store compared to mason jars and you don't need to burp them.

• Like 1

Plastic is fine, I knew a lad who used to grow loads and he used massive plastic bins. I've used plastic tubs before myself and now I use BPA free plastic vacuum seal bags which I think is the way to go. I would like to try grove bags too though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KC said:

Plastic is fine, I knew a lad who used to grow loads and he used massive plastic bins. I've used plastic tubs before myself and now I use BPA free plastic vacuum seal bags which I think is the way to go. I would like to try grove bags too though.

Do you do any curing first or do they go straight into the vacuum bags once dried? I've got rolls of bags you cut and seal to size, never thought about using them for this but I need a good long-term storage option I wonder if they would be any good.

• Like 1

I dry the plant whole, eventually get around to destalking it and leave it a day or two then straight into the bags (i buy the rolls too). I've never had any bother doing this in the few years I've been doing it. I came across it by accident really, my mate come round with some weed which I thought was really nice, turns out it was mine and compared to the stuff I had in jars it was considerably better imo

Saves a hell of a lot of room over jars too. You'll get someone say it squashes the weed but you just press cancel on the machine before it gets to that point :rolleyes:

If you've got the machine already give it a go, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. 

• Like 4