ENERGY - How much does your grow use?

FlooK

Pretty worried to see my utility costs will double. This is without using the heating as well. Just wondering what % of this I can blame on a 4x4 with a 600w LED and if anyone has any tips to bring the cost down?

Thanks (and apologies if i posted this in the wrong place)

large.8e606fee-2fc2-4d64-a940-404105c0e1cc.jpg

• Like 2

Hiya @FlooK

Maybe invest in Solar panels or perhaps your own wee wind turbine :)

Extract from the bottom ;)

Make the most of your available space to increase your yield :yep:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 5

This time last year my DD was £70 per month. It's now £200. Energy use is the same. 

One way of saving a little bit is to dim the LED (if dimmable) to just the PPFD you need. Look into DLI and figure out if you need so much light. 

Maybe look into ScrOG to get more yield for the space? Then you might not need to do so many grows per year.

• Like 2

You could go straight into 12/12 from seed, 33% reduction in power usage there or just grow in spring and autumn these seasons are more economical to grow in( no heating or cooling expenditure).

Or use the free fireball in the sky..........,there's gonna be gardens full of autos next may,me thinks......

• Like 6

@FlooK without spending more money first to get more eco kit such as swapping extractor for EC extractors, swapping AC fans for EC fans, flower for 11 hours instead of 12

That amount isnt far off what I pay and I run 3 times what you do, 

for veg, i run leds at minimum and bring the height right down to increase ppfd, i run my veg area at 112 watts, they get 1300 wats once in the flower tent

• Like 4

My tent is in use all the time anyway, so I'm trying to overlap grows and dry one harvest above the light while the next one is vegging below. If it comes off perfectly lol I'll be able to increase yield by nearly half for a small increase in electric used (and more seeds etc but still good.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mister phlegm said:

My tent is in use all the time anyway, so I'm trying to overlap grows and dry one harvest above the light while the next one is vegging below. If it comes off perfectly lol I'll be able to increase yield by nearly half for a small increase in electric used (and more seeds etc but still good.)

Do you have 2 areas that you can use then so you can veg while you flower?

Electric cost is alot but less than the cost of street weed and quality is better im paying upto £10 a day with the heating I need to use now that is including the house cost etc I used to use about £30 a week now its more like £50/£60 a week but I have 4 areas and 2 completely full set ups running and I have 6 lights so the whole cost is not bad for me I plan to stop using 2 areas after the next lot are down and open it back up march next year when it's warmer but I have flowered 8 little cuttings and will be cutting back on the amount of plants that I can fit in the 2 smaller area warmer places in the house rather than the loft area which is big im still learning myself and I'm playing with veg time and lst ect I think it's OK till something goes wrong and you lose your plants or full of seeds and then it's wasted Electric cost its the main reason for my 4 areas so I can separate them if I have any problems and I have different strains so that I don't ever lose them all in one go again like last Christmas day 28 plants all binned cos hermie plant im pardoned and its really my own head that makes me unsure of the plants and this way I'm not going to lose everything happy growing but I find that if you can keep the environment perfect and you have fans filters smscom fan controller heating system and good lighting and nutrients then it's not too bad but attempting to get good results from a light only or rubbish light you never get good results you have to pay money for your plants too flourish 

• Like 1

Maybe downsize the whole set--up for the time being. Run a 250W hps in 60 x 60 with a heat mat. SCROG, SOG or whatever and if done properly, you can yield plenty to get you through. The hps should keep the temps at a decent level. All in with a circulation fan, you're using no more than 350W or thereabouts.

• Like 1

I'm shutting my grow down till April in 5 weeks, with the extra heating costs and no-one being home I feel like it'll be wasting a lot of money. I've been planning it a while have 2 brew bins half full and whatever the current grow produces to see me through lol Im looking forward to it, going to take care of the mothers I've taken from this grow and be properly organised for April. I always get distracted and lose the keepers / keep the losers.

• Like 4

Hi Grow lady

One 40x40 is all I'm allowed but I'm vegging while flowering right now with 19 days to chop, it's all 24/7. The tent is next to a central heating radiator in a modern house and we're down south in a fairly sheltered area. The loft is available but inconvenient even in summer and I've grown attached to my current setup because I know it works. I could grow year-round without dedicated heating but I think it's worth the extra outlay to keep well over 20C. It's a very congenial situation and I'm a homebody which also helps.

I like to dry in the tent and usually have some top space going begging, the air flows should be fairly independent so hopefully it goes OK. It means I could plant a new crop every 70-75 days instead of every hundred days and the (decent) light won't be on that much more.

It costs about £1.20 a day for electric with moderate heating, it's a pretty small setup.

• Like 2

Fucking robbing bastards, im the same, I put in a extra shift at work every month to cover the cost…..pish :taz:

at the moment with the bastards shoving the price up my groom is costing about £2.50 a day im running 1 x 600 watt HPS + a 85 watt exhaust...plus 1 6 inch clip on blower to keep costs down....  its illuminated 12 hrs daily.fans on constant. :yep:

im only doing this because im a skint jack bastard.... lol

• Like 1

I've been spending some time away from my house so not been using any other energy at all (switched off) apart from my grow shed, which is currently costing £6 per day to run a 1m x 1m x 2m insulated room in the shed which has 2 600w leds / 2 6" fans / ink bird set to 24 with oil radiator / carbon filter & heat mat on 24hrs/day

Edited by 5Lip

14 hours ago, mister phlegm said:

I'm trying to overlap grows and dry one harvest above the light while the next one is vegging below. If it comes off perfectly

It won't unless your happy to smoke hay and I absolutely guarantee you that's what you will have 100%

Don't waste your time dude. Sort something out for drying. 

• Like 9